5x5 vs 5/3/1

Options
Does anyone have experience with both of these programs? I've been doing 5/3/1 on and off for the better part of 3 years and have had excellent results from it but am thinking about switching it up for 5x5 just to get a little change in there. I'm currently doing Jim Wendler's 100 rep challenge which is a combo of 5/3/1 and some exercises that lead to the seventh gate of hell but worth every min of it.

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have done both. I started lifting with SL5x5 then moved to 5/3/1. I prefer 5/3/1 because there so many different variations how you can run the program (accessory work). I enjoyed SL5x5 but I got burnt out on squats every workout.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That is an awful lot of squatting. I still might give this a try when I'm done my current program. If anything just to prove the grass isn't always greener.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    To me it seems like 5x5 is too much volume. I do 3x5 and see much better strength gains than 5x5. I add in weighted dips to workout A and weighted pull-ups to workout B to make up for the lower sets on the others. You can probably rotates the dips and pull-ups out to other exercises you enjoy or feel you can improve upon.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I think with the new principles Jim introduces in his book "Beyond 5/3/1" really makes for a complete program. SL5x5 is great for a while but I don't believe it to be a long-term solution to training. Using some of Jim's newer concepts can really set you up for life and never really need to change. Once you have a really good grasp on 5/3/1, you can adjust it however you want and truly make it yours.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you’re not hitting a plateau (or bored out of your gourd), why would you change?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Seems kind of like going backwards. I started with stronglifts on and off for two years, and then just switched to 5/3/1 (started cycle two yesterday). 5x5 is great for linear gains and beginners, and once you start stalling, people suggest switching to an intermediate program (of which 5/3/1 is usually among the suggestions).

I doubt you'd see much difference, but if you're mentally tired of 5/3/1, give it a try and see if you like it. Keep in mind, you'll probably need to drastically reduce your lifts from your current level as you're expecting to add 5lbs each time you do an exercise (much faster than your increases with 5/3/1). If you don't work your way up from a lower starting point, you'll likely stall easily. I think the website describes the best way to calculate your starting weight (since you won't need to start with the bar).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started with 5x5....switched to 3x5 when it was taking too much time and now am doing 5/3/1....

I prefer 5/3/1 to be honest...even with the accessory work takes so much less time (I do it 4x a week) which leaves me lots of time for other exercise like cardio....
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was of the understanding that 5X5's were better for beginning, and getting to a particular point, then once you stop seeing gains (after a doing a few deloads) then you should switch to 5/3/1's, however I'm far from an expert.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Look at the effects of different rep ranges, and then decide from there. Different goals mean different workouts are better/worse for you.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    You can't do 5x5 once you are pushing your limits. 531 comes then and it is the best program. If you want more volume, add more sets of your first, do twice etc as mentioned in Wendlers latest book.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    reference-- I want to start one of these...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're free to experiment but I wouldn't do it. After a couple years of training, going backwards to a 5x5 program probably isn't going to net any gains and is probably going to result in massive burnout. Just my guess.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I guess the decision is unanimous. 5/3/1 it is. I appreciate all the input
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Seems like going backwards to me.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to mix it up a bit more. I highly recommend bigger, leaner, stronger. There's a 1 year split routine you can do. You can find the book and routine on Amazon.
  • gmitchell3444
    gmitchell3444 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    5x5 good but you will burn out faster n recovery sucks 5-3-1 better programing for a experienced lifter 5x5 good for building a strong base