I cant stay away from junk food!!

Options
I crave it. All kinds. And I don't live alone so it's so hard to stay away from. Help!!

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    can u buy junk food that the others like but u dont? maybe theres one kind of chips u just hate but others love. maybe theres certain sweets u just dont care for. when i first started this i just couldnt have my favs in the house in the beginning. now its easier. hopefully people in your house will understand.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    1. what is "junk" food?
    2. leave yourself some room so you can have some
    3. ?
    4. profit
  • 19laurie
    19laurie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I made the mistake of buying a bunch of girl scout cookies before going on my diet - now they're tormenting me every day! Try to fill up on healthy foods and then just allow yourself a very small amount of the junk food. For example eat a whole bunch of carrots before allowing yourself a cookie - much easier to stop at one cookie instead of three or six cookies if you've filled up on carrots first.
  • jessical2513
    jessical2513 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well for awhile and then I had to have a procedure done and have been out of work and don't have the money to buy the healthy food I was when I was doing good.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    frozen veg is cheap. a big bag of carrots is cheap . in season fruit is a good price. yes certain healthy food is expensive. but not all. look for deals buy in bulk. plan your groceries. i know not having much money for food sucks but u dont have to quit. but u will have to plan.
  • livinmydreamsthruJesus
    Options
    Whenevr you get a craving for something salty, workout and drink water. Or if it's something sweet, brush your teeth. This helps me a lot. After doing these things, if I still want it, I eat a very small portion of it. Hope this helps! :smiley:
  • parsonsbella
    parsonsbella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh i know :( me too
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well for awhile and then I had to have a procedure done and have been out of work and don't have the money to buy the healthy food I was when I was doing good.

I hope you are recuperating quickly.

Here's a link to an awesome cookbook that someone posted a while back for eating healthy on a tight budget:
    https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf

Send me a message if the link doesn't work.

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor: go on a higher fat diet. You will spend less money, have less cravings, and still be eating right (with exercise).

This is based on personal experience.
  • ryokinai
    ryokinai Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was just craving waffles this morning because I was somehow smelling syrup. I realized that for over the past month I've been imagining myself eating the food I want until I'm sick of it and the craving passes. You know that feeling you get when you eat so much of something you don't even want to look at it for a while? It has a similar effect, then afterwards I feel pretty proud about not giving in.
    With the diet I'm on, I can't cheat so I can't "have a little". Though in the past when I've tried to have just a little I end up caving and eating far too much then feeling crappy afterwards.
    Pick your poison I guess.
  • jessical2513
    Options
    Whenever I only plan on cheating a little it turns into a week long fail.
  • jessical2513
    Options
    Do yourself a favor: go on a higher fat diet. You will spend less money, have less cravings, and still be eating right (with exercise).

A high fat diet? That sounds a little counterproductive.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

A high fat diet? That sounds a little counterproductive.

Counterintuitive, but not counterproductive. :) Higher fat foods fill you up faster and the fullness lasts longer. Fat is also what makes food taste so good to us, which is why a lot of low-fat foods boost their flavor with sugar (something else that makes food palatable). I'm not saying sugar is a bad thing, unless you need to avoid it for health reasons, but the body processes simple carbs faster than complex carbs or fat, so you tend to feel hungrier sooner after consuming low-fat foods compared to their higher fat cousins.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

There's quite a few posts floating around about eating 'healthy' for cheap. Frozen veggies are a good place to start and make a good base for stir-frys (I have this almost every day with a few ounces of meat). Oats are another cheap option that's a good base for a meal (so many things you can add to it). Scrambled eggs with veggies are another cheapy meal that's filling. Keep things simple :)
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can stay away from junk foods. You need to choose to. That means it needs to be more important to you to eat healthy than to eat junk.

For me, it finally clicked at 36 years old.

When i picked up fast food or grabbed a salty/sweet snack at the corner store i thought that the junk made me happy. But as soon as i was done eating, i was dealing with the fact that i had put on a bunch of extra weight, my joints hurt, my cardio was crap... i was unhealthy.

So at 36, it finally clicked that junk food, fast food, and all that crap didn't make me happy. In fact, it made me unhappy.

I resolved to learn about eating healthier, found MFP, and have already made the changes that brought me a good distance down the road to a healthy life.

You can do it. You need to get clear about it in your head. Then it's easy - because you'll be doing what you WANT to be doing, rather than forcing yourself into restrictions that you don't really like.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    wonko221 wrote: »
    You can stay away from junk foods. You need to choose to. That means it needs to be more important to you to eat healthy than to eat junk.

This. As long as we say we "can't" do something, we probably won't...
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    You could try only keeping one "junk" item in the house at a time and not buy anymore until it's done.