low cal soup recipes please

Options
louiserae525
louiserae525 Posts: 3 Member
edited April 2015 in Recipes
Hi everyone, I am looking for recipe's for some low calorie soup please... I bought a lovely big new pan, and don't want to make my usual lentil soup that i can stand the spoon in.

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    2 cups water.
    1 boullion cube.
    add parsley to taste.

i looked up calories of lentil soup and it appears that 1 cup of it is somewhere around 220 (and that was on the high side of the few i looked at).

that's pretty low-cal.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I make a cheater's chicken soup that's pretty good for the calories/effort. I usually make it when I have leftover roasted or rotisserie chicken, or you can roast/poach some specifically for this. Chop up some onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute in a touch of butter or olive oil til soft. Thrown in some chicken broth, diced chicken, and seasonings (S&P for sure; I like rosemary but some people don't like it in soup since it's hard to get really finely chopped. Thyme, bay leaves, oregano, parsley - all good). Simmer til the veggies are soft, and finish with a splash of lemon juice. Every single item in the soup can be customized to your taste and what you have on hand - it's EXTREMELY forgiving (I make it just slightly differently every time and have never disliked it). Calories vary from 100-200 per 1C serving, depending on how you make it.

Skinnytaste also has a ton of great soup recipes.
  • louiserae525
    Options
    Thank you, a couple to go on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just simmer veggies in chicken broth then blend it together.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Clear (not creamy) soups are almost always low calorie. I usually make broth from scratch, but last week I cheated and made an amazing beef barley soup that was about 250 calories for 1.5 cups. I used leftover roast beef, canned beef broth, canned diced tomatoes, chopped onions, carrots, celery, potato, parsley, oregano and quick cooking barley.

I make many different soups. They're easy, dirt cheap and healthy. But do yourself a favor and ditch the boullion cubes, which are pretty disgusting and taste nothing like real simmer soup.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth
    Shredded or chopped cooked chicken
    Chopped onion, celery, cilantro
    Cooked rice
    Black beans
    Canned Chipotle corn
    Rotel tomatoes w/green chiles
    Cumin, salt pepper

It's amazing. Put some grated cheddar on it.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My favorite soup is Italian sausage soup. Tons of veggies.

1 pkg ground Italian turkey sausage
    1/2 cup onion diced
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup sliced carrots
    1tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 small zucchini, diced
    1 small yellow squash, diced
    1 can low sodium petite diced tomatoes
    1 can no salt added tomato paste (optional)
    1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can great northern beans (don't drain)
    3 cups chopped fresh spinach

Brown meat and sauté onion, celery & carrots with spices until softened. Add 1 Qt of low sodium chicken broth. Add zuchini, squash, tomatoes, paste and beans. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir in spinach about 5 minutes before serving. So hearty and delicious! It makes 10 serving at 194cal each. It makes a ton, so I freeze some too for later.
    My favorite soup is Italian sausage soup. Tons of veggies.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I tried to edit my post and some how hit the quote...and can't get that out. Sorry!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I get a can of soup, usually the "light" version of whatever I like and then add a ton of extra veggies and maybe a little more meat/chicken. I already know the nutritional info from the can so I can weigh and log the extra's that I put in and I know immediately all the numbers I need to know. The biggest benefit of that is that I can't get tired of it because there's only enough for two-ish meals. I'm single, so eating all the leftovers from a pot of soup gets old quick...even if I freeze most of it.
  • gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Chicken Vegetable Soup

Carrots
    Celery
    Onion
    Cabbage, shredded
    Zucchini
    Green beans
    Peas
    Corn (or hominy)
    Chicken Broth, sodium free (Herb Ox)
    Red Lentils (1/4 c.) - optional
    Herbs
    Salt/pepper to taste

Use whatever vegetables you have on hand and the ones you like! Any combination of the above and leave out the ones you don't like!

Try various herb combinations such as:
    Mexican: cumin and oregano
    Italian: parsley, oregano, basil
    Thanksgiving: thyme, parsley, sage
  • louiserae525
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these sound amazing.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Chicken broth
    Shredded or chopped cooked chicken
    Chopped onion, celery, cilantro
    Cooked rice
    Black beans
    Canned Chipotle corn
    Rotel tomatoes w/green chiles
    Cumin, salt pepper

It's amazing. Put some grated cheddar on it.

That sounds good