peanut butter

Options
smitchell37
smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
What is the best kind of peanut butter to get? I have never been a big fan of pb but everyone is talking about eatting it with bananas and apples and celery and It makes me want to eat some. I just fear it has to much fat

Replies

• Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too. PB is high in protein but the fat seems very high to me.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love a natural peanut butter by jiff.... it tastes great, and is pretty low in sodium too. Also, no need to stir it, which is a plus. And the fat in peanut butter is 'good fat' so I don't worry so much about it.
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    the best kind of peanut butter to get is natural peanut butter. the kind you have to stir around. :) or PB2 is supposed to be amazing as well. i wanna try it. :)
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I reccomend: Mara Natha - Natural No Stir Creamy and Sweet Peanut Butter. It is in MFP database so go have a look! Ingredients are per label: Dry Roasted Peanuts, Evaporated Cane Juice, Natural Palm Oil, Sea Salt. (Made in a plant that processes soy, sesame, and tree nuts.)

They also have other flavors like Almond, Sunflower Seed Butter, Natural Cashew Butter (Roasted), other nuts too. Comes in Creamy or Crunchy. All their products are:

All Natural - No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives
    Rich in Monounsaturated Fat (The Good Fat)
    High Protein, Cholesterol Free, Low Sodium, Gluten Free, Vegan
    Certified Organic Varieties
    Kosher OU

Good luck!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I heard PB2 was really good. People buy it online or if they are fortunate to live around a town with a nutrition store. Im going to be ordering some very soon!
  • jmatsko19
    jmatsko19 Posts: 10
    Options
    peanut butter is great for you, healthy fat, protein, the downside is there are a lot of calories in just a little bit so watch those portions so you stay under your cal goal
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I usually eat nuts instead, but on days when its late and im behind on my calories for the day I will have a tbsp of peanut butter just to meet my calorie goal YUM
  • smitchell37
    Options
    low sodium would be great for me. I am always over my sodium no matter what I do
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I buy peanut butter that has one ingredient: peanuts.

Stay away from most brands, which add oils, sugars, salt, etc. None of it is necessary, and the peanut-only PB tastes fantastic! A little different without all the extra crap in it, but you'll get used to it. It's not much more expensive, either. I usually buy the brand Krema, but there are several others in regular grocerty stores. Wal-mart carries Adams brand, which has an unsalted peanut-only PB.
    I would like to know this too. PB is high in protein but the fat seems very high to me.

The fat in PB is healthy fat - it's good for your heart! Obviously you need to eat it as part of a well-balanced diet, but fat does not equal bad.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    PS - don't assume that just because it says "natural" that it doesn't have extra stuff in it. Read the label! I've seen "natural" peanut butter with added oils, salts, and sugars.
  • mdawson2005
    mdawson2005 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Find a store where you can grind your own, direct from the nuts....best there is! No additives, no preservatives, nothing but nuts!
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    PB2 is amazing and well worth the cost. I love the versatility of it, like being able to use it as a topping for deserts, cereals, oatmeal, and smoothies!
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've read that the Natural ones are the best to eat. The fat is high, but its very low in sat fats as its mainly the good kind, the unsaturated fats. Those overall fat numbers are very deceiving.

Very high in Protein and low in sodium.

But?

Use sparingly. Like on toast? No more than a couple teaspoons or one tablespoon. Yes it's got alot of good fat, but anything used in excess isn't good.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your best bet for peanut butter is to check the ingredient list as your BEST peanut butter will have nothing but peanuts and maybe a little salt in it. If it has anything else like icing sugar or whatever leave it on the shelf! I've not tried PB2, nor will I, knowingly, I won't use the egg (whites?) in a carton either, just more processing done needlessly, if I want an egg I'll use the whole thing!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I eat Simply Jiff....low sodium, 33% less sugar. 190 Calories for 2 tbs. 65 mg of sodium, 2 grams of sugar, 8 grams of protien, 6 grams of carbs. It does not require refrigeration. Has a nice smooth consistency!
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    I'm probably going to take a beating for saying this, but I personally don't recommend peanut butter at all. I never cared one way or another about peanut butter before I changed up my diet for the healthier. I don't know that this would happen to anyone else, but like you, I decided to add more peanut butter to my lifestyle because it is supposedly healthy and whatnot. Well I ended up getting hooked on the stuff and now my peanut butter cravings definitely get in the way of my weight loss sometimes. I would say at the very least, look for brands that contain minimal added sugar, and if you can find a variety that only has peanuts listed in the ingredients, definitely stick with that.

But seriously if you really are not a fan of peanut butter, there's no reason to bother with it at all.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    As previously stated, the fat in PB is a good fat.

I just started getting Nature's Place all natural peanut butter. The ingredients are peanuts and salt. Period.

2 TBSP
    200 calories
    16 g. fat
    3 g. saturated fat
    120 mg. sodium
    6 g. carbs
    2 g. fiber
    1 g. sugar
    9 g. protein

And it's really tasty. It does have to be stirred, but there are worse things...
  • smitchell37
    Options
    HMMM didnt know there was pb with peanuts only.

I try to stay away from peanuts for the same reason
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    HMMM didnt know there was pb with peanuts only.

Yup! Once I made the switch to peanut-only PB, I never went back. Every once in awhile I'll have a little of the regular PB when we're out of the peanut-only kind (I live with people who eat the regular PB) and I *definitely* have grown to prefer the peanut-only peanut butter. Like someone else said, it does have to be stirred, but it's not really that big of a deal. If you refrigerate it after stirring it up, then it won't keep separating. The Adams brand usually stays pretty easy to spread even after being refrigerated.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You can try other types of nut butter to see if you like those - like Nutella or almond butter. Just a thought.