Ketogenic Diet Support

Options
I am tying to get into the ketogenic lifestyle. So far I feel like my calorie intake is astronomical and struggle to keep carbs at 40-50, and feel they should be lower. It feels so wrong to abandon all veggies. I enjoy veggies. Especially in butter. I am craving sugar and carbs less, so that's a relief. But I want to not feel hungry and feel like I'm getting vitamins and have some color in my meals. My husband has been doing a lot of research and really thinks this will work for me. I have quite a bit to loose since life got stressful and some health issues have arose causing weight gain. I am miserable and need to find a way down.

Replies

• erin_mccrae
    erin_mccrae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Added you, I've been toying around with this lifestyle woe too, it's harder than I thought but I do see the positives in it :-)
  • edellaSut
    edellaSut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can eat tons of veg on a low carb diet, just make sure that they aren't starches or sugars. Perhaps google wahls protocol, as the website gives lovely lists of suitable veg that won't raise your BS. All th brassicas are good, all the more bitter leafy greens, etc etc. And make sure that you are subtracting the fibre content of any veg, as they are more for your gut microbes. It all seems much more do-able once its your default way of eating. And a lot harder and more mysterious when a newbie. BUT, if you are feeling hungry, you are perhaps 1. not eating enough good fats or 2 eating too much protein. BTW, if there is no colour in your meals, what are you actually eating? My plates are VERY colourful!
  • cassiek0lba
    cassiek0lba Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't get rid of the veggies!!! Get rid of the fruits! It's just that some veggies such as corn have carbs...and no starchy veggies like potatoes. I'm adding you! I'm restarting my keto after having a lot of success with it a few years ago.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You can eat A LOT of vegetables eating 40-50 carbs a day. As others have said just skip the starchy ones. No potato, corn, peas, etc. Stay with things like spinach, salad greens, peppers, broccoli, cucumber, etc. and you can stuff yourself if you really want to and still easily stay under your carb limit.