I'm losing almost nothing!

Options
I honestly don't know what the problem is. I eat at caloric deficit. I go to the gym at least twice a week, and I dance every Friday for around 2 hours. I don't just sit on my *kitten* at the gym either. I've started doing at least 45 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes of weights, and then a 20 minute cool down. And those are just my short days. Sometimes I'll be in there for at least two hours. I've had a few cheat days, but apart from those I weight, measure, and track my food religiously. And to show for it, I've lost like 4 pounds in the past month. I've lost maybe an inch in a few of my measurements, but that's not really a lot, and it could actually be a lot less due to water retention/bloating.

I just don't get what's wrong with me. I'll lose two pounds in a week, and then when I step on the scale on Monday it's gone back up at least a pound, sometimes more. It feels like I'm starting from the very beginning every single week. And then there are people who are posting progress pictures and stuff like "Hey! Look at the 20 pounds I lose this month!" And I just feel like I'm a fat, disgusting failure.

I've had a few people mention that it might be a thyroid or hormonal issue I'm having. I'm going to go to the doctor hopefully sometime in the next week or two. And starting tomorrow I'm going to go to the gym 4-5 days a week instead of just 2. Maybe then I'll start actually seeing some results.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You're losing about one pound per week. That isn't "almost nothing" ... step one, set realistic goals.

After a quick look at your diary, it does not appear that you are weighing your solid foods. That doesn't have to be a lifelong habit but it does make it easier to accurately figure out exactly what you're consuming. I'm not sure what "Calories needed to get me to 1000 on low days" but it doesn't sound good.
  • kevhan1
    kevhan1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the post above said it all. 1 Lb a week on average is nothing to scoff at but also you're not accurately logging your intake
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Honestly it could be the "few cheat days" setting you back and the lack of gym days....Im not knocking you its all great what your doing but maybe the increase in activity will help you..keep pushing along and less cheat days I think maybe do only 1 cheat day per month....less rewards related to food....and increase your water intake to knock out the sodium....after reading your diary...you really dont seem to be eating a lot on most days and lack a bit on the fiber department that may be the issue ..
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you were genuinely weighing all your food, and eating only what you've logged, you'd be passed out on the floor right now. Plan and log your meals, eat a decent amount of food, stop cheating ( which you won't need to do if you eat more) and then see what happens.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    The people who are losing 20 pounds in a month are people who weigh 300+ lbs. I started out losing that much in a month, but now that my weight is in the 150s I'm lucky to even lose 5 lbs in a month. And ditto to what the people above said about your cheat days probably slowing down your loss.
  • cutenikki07
    cutenikki07 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything daily? Because you seem to not eat a dinner or lunch and sometimes breakfast. And what you are having for breakfast isn't big enough so you are going to cheat cause your body is going to crave the sugars and carbs.

Do you have any support during your journey, just having a support system helps you stay accountable and on track! I have one with daily weigh in's and what not. We just started so feel free to join!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105413-spring-into-summer-challenge
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It's reverse to what we think we should do, but loss is better when you're eating your calories. Working out that much your body needs fuel. Your workout seems fine, and so does your loss. Plenty of people above me have said it. Eat more.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    In another another thread you said "I've started eating less than 600 calories a day to speed up my loss. My TDEE is only like 1600 right now, so 1200 is going to get me pretty much nowhere. I'm actually pretty ***** proud of myself for how much self restraint I can show"

If that was true you'd not be making it through a 2 hour dance class. I'm guessing your cheat days are significant;y high calorie or you're underestimating your calories. Don't shot for 600, you'll only maake yourself ill
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    One pound a week would indicate that you are eating at a deficit. I lost all of my weight losing one pound a week. But nutritionally, you don't seem to be eating very many meals. Do you look at your micronutrients to make sure you are getting 100% or close in all the main vitamins, minerals, fiber, calcium, etc? We have a lot of great food here in Tempe!
  • brisloth
    brisloth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do have a food scale, and I weigh everything that I possibly can on it. If I'm out and can't log anything and absolutely have to eat, I typically estimate it at 2-3 times as much as I consumed to try and avoid error. There have been a few days where I haven't logged everything that I've eaten (Like saturday of this past week), but usually I only eat one or two meals in a day. I need to start logging cheat days more accurately though, probably keeping them at 1600. I would estimate that they've been 2000 or so lately, which is probably most of my problem. On days that I've been logging though, I weigh and measure everything that isn't in pre-portioned servings.I understand that I'm probably a bit low on calories, but I haven't honestly felt that many side effects from it. And yes, I can make it through my dance class every week. :3
  • brisloth
    brisloth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One pound a week would indicate that you are eating at a deficit. I lost all of my weight losing one pound a week. But nutritionally, you don't seem to be eating very many meals. Do you look at your micronutrients to make sure you are getting 100% or close in all the main vitamins, minerals, fiber, calcium, etc? We have a lot of great food here in Tempe!

I really don't. I have next to no idea how that works, and I would rather just take a multivitamin than give myself the utter headache that trying to account for all of that would be. If I lived on my own, it would probably be easier, but I don't, and I really don't do all of the shopping so I can't tailor it to my diet. The rest of my family is very happily obese, so I'm lucky that my requests for greek yogurt and zucchini have been catered to. :p
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    brisloth wrote: »
    I do have a food scale, and I weigh everything that I possibly can on it. If I'm out and can't log anything and absolutely have to eat, I typically estimate it at 2-3 times as much as I consumed to try and avoid error. There have been a few days where I haven't logged everything that I've eaten (Like saturday of this past week), but usually I only eat one or two meals in a day. I need to start logging cheat days more accurately though, probably keeping them at 1600. I would estimate that they've been 2000 or so lately, which is probably most of my problem. On days that I've been logging though, I weigh and measure everything that isn't in pre-portioned servings.I understand that I'm probably a bit low on calories, but I haven't honestly felt that many side effects from it. And yes, I can make it through my dance class every week. :3

So, you're not weighing everything you can and you aren't accurately and consistently logging.
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. I'm 60 yrs old, and ate under 1300 for a month, and only lost 2 pounds. Ugh. It makes one want to give up! But don't. I have been doing a Low Glycemic Load for a week now, and have lost 2.8 lbs. I think this is going to work. Sometimes those of us that have a hard time losing have to try different approaches to find out what works. Just the low calories wouldn't do it; I had to eliminate everything that raises blood glucose. I bought used books to get all the info. If you friend me, we can keep in touch.
    I wish you the best. Believe me, I do know how frustrating it is. But hang in there, something WILL work.
    Diane
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What? A pound a week is not almost nothing...it is a pound a week. An entire pound.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You've lost a pound a week while approaching calorie counting rather willy nilly and/or starving yourself.
  • rabe99199
    rabe99199 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well hey if you know your eating healthy and working out in time the pounds will just come off. Dont worry too much about the numbers. A body in motion stays in motion.
  • pchenley
    pchenley Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What you need to understand is that if your calorie intake is too low, your body tends to store up what you do eat. You will lose more if you do not cut your calorie intake so low. Make sure you eat close to or just under your calorie goal. It's up to you if you eat your exercise calories. I chose not to. :)