achieving and maintain success after gastric bypass

Options
One if my worse fears is to regain the weight after achieving weight loss. I have to regain control over word no..and my emotuons. I find myself in the best possible position to do good for myself as a wellness coordinator, yet it's the wirse! How to get control of emotional eatibg? Any tips would be hrlpful

Replies

• audi1964
    audi1964 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is no easy answer. I had a lapband and lost 35kgs only to have complications and put nearly all of it back on. I then went on to have a gastric bypass. Two years post this surgery I'm almost down to where I was after the lapband but it will never be as good as after the first surgery (the surgeon says I don't have a virgin stomach). However in the last 4-5 months I've got really motivated and am feeling in control, I have started working out with a personal trainer 3 times a week and can see the differences. It is making it easier to keep my eating under control. Actually, I'm doing Optifast for two weeks to try and get on top of the last few kilos and feel I have never had as much will power. For me the answer has been getting back into regular hard exercise after about 20 years. I've taken up boxing for fitness at 50 and loving it! It keeps the psychological demons at bay and helps with the emotional eating. Good luck!
  • mrsrnn
    mrsrnn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you..it helps to know this is something other go through and reinforce what I know I need to do...love that your out there doing something positive for yourself. Boxing! That's what I was doing in the begining but our instructor closed the gym..I have to find something to reach it. My other is to not allow the excuse ls.to get in way of me going to gym...okay time to just do it as they say...good luck to you on your mission...I'd love to hear your success...keep in touch it's motivating for those of us restarting this leg of the journey
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Some say the lapband is a cheat (eat 700 calories a day with no effort!) and does not teach you how to eat right, so you're likely to gain the weight back. I have no opinion on the matter. My dad's GF had lapband surgery and gained it all back and them some, but I don't know how it happened.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Many people label any weight loss surgery as a "cheat". As far as I am concerned, if you don't do ANYTHING to help yourself get healthy, you are "cheating" yourself. Yeah, there are folks who can successfully lose the weight with nothing but exercise and nothing but clean eating and yah dah yah dah yah dah. Not everybody has the same mindset, the same support network, the same----well, you get my drift. You will run into haters before weight loss AND after weight loss. It will happen. Its up to you to stay in touch with the people who have got your back instead of those that want to stab your back. There are plenty of folks here you can hook up with to share your good days and bad, exchange ideas and hints. Look for support groups on Facebook also. Just remember WHY you are choosing to change your life and keep your eye on the prize. I had the gastric sleeve procedure September 2014. My highest weight was 375, the day of surgery i was 344, and as of yesterday I am at 262.2. U GOT THIS!!! :D
  • mrsrnn
    Options
    That is amazing. Your doing fantastic!!!! And your right WE got this. I am 2 years out and I believe I took the steps to get healthier after years of trying and not finding success. I tell everyone who comments on bypass surgery that it's a tool..no different them a diet it's just mechanical tool and I agreed to a life of healthier eating, but for the first time in forever I feel like I am liberated even despite the rules that we live by. Dieting like I had to in order to achieve the smallest of wieght loss wasn't any way to live and I wasn't happy. I am happier now then I have ever been. Let the haters hate...ibwill take your recommendations and remember the why...and that was truly selfish, but I wanted to be healthy for me...it's my turn after years of caring for everyone else..it's ts my turn to care about me.! Thank you. ....it's ts wish you great success. I lost 90 lbs and have put 15 back on.tune to take it off again and an extra 5 to boot! My only option. Is working out. No excuses..and no pressure...
  • mrsrnn
    Options
    Agreeing to wieght lost surgery is agreeing to what ever rules are set forth by your surgeon. Each type has slightly different rules however if you slip from following you brisk gaining it back. Working out is a must..walking, classes, hiking what ever your nitch find it and maintain it. It's really easy to put everyone else first, but with this surgery sometimes you have to put your needs first. When you do it makes it easier to do for others..