Problem with my garmin 4runner, help please

Options
I did a work-out, was not running or cycling today, but a cardio work-out 1st time I try the watch with the chest strap for this, it gets my heart rate, but did not calculate my calories, does anyone know of a solution for this?

Replies

• zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    can't it be used as a calorie counter?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on which model garmin you are using. Some calculate calories by the heartrate and others by the distance and speed. If you are indoors, the GPS is not calculating distance and speed so no calories will register.

An option for indoor treadmill use is to add a footpod if your model garmin will connect with it.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Depends on the model. I can turn the GPS signal off on my 405cx, but my friend can't on his 405.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I should be able to- but you have to watch the little icon with the heart- I have a hard time keeping mine adjusted correctly so I often have a little X where the heart symbol should be. That means it's not reading my heart rate- maybe that's what happened to you??
  • BethTucker
    BethTucker Posts: 21
    Options
    I would say to contact the company. I had a lot of trouble with my chest strap, it wouldn't transmit my heart rate properly and was sporadic. They told me it won't work correctly on some people, which I think is nonsense since the Polar HRM works fine on me. I have sent my forerunner back and they have redone the software, and it still won't transmit my heart rate. But that was a few years ago and they may have fixed the problems so I would call and have them troubleshoot the problem for you. It may just be a simple fix like resetting or something.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not the 305 ... it's what I have, love it, but I use it for running outdoors ...

However if you have your average HR captured you can use an external tool to calculate it for you.
  • zoombie_bear
    Options
    yes it's the 305 that I have, I actually just called the company, says it works with the distance, the gps. it's no good for stationnary exercices ( treadmills, free weight or any dvd video, since it can't capture the gps signal) boo, I'm disapointed...
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No, the Garmon 305 doesn't accurately do indoor calories associated with strengh training routine. Accurate. Body weight & distantance moved by your body as a whole are the key elements necessary. For calorie calculation you can't provide that info from a strength training routine.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    yes it's the 305 that I have, I actually just called the company, says it works with the distance, the gps. it's no good for stationnary exercices ( treadmills, free weight or any dvd video, since it can't capture the gps signal) boo, I'm disapointed...
    It will work with a treadmill if you get their footpod. I got one last week and it works great.
  • zoombie_bear
    Options
    thanks for all you replies