Advice for becoming vegan?

Options
Hi! Just getting back into MFP again and thought I'd look for some advice and new buddies as I'll be eating pretty differently now
I became veggie in the new year and it's going great but I want to transition to veganism. I've already cut out most dairy products but I'm not there yet and have quite a bit of weight to lose as I go.
Any plant based vegans with advice on nutrition/weight loss/recipes etc?
Feel free to add me!

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I found pre-logging for the first few months made as difference, especially when it came to getting in my protein, calcium, and iron. You can actually change your diary settings to include any tracked nutrient on your main page. I stopped tracking sugar, carbs and fat and now I track protein, iron, calcium, fibre, and sodium.

I am sending you a FR and my diary is open to friends.

There are some veggie groups on here that would be a good start. One that I follow is Happy Herbivores.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, learn how to cook. It makes veganism much more pleasant.

Don't fall into the trap of demonizing any macro - - fat, protein, and carbohydrates all contribute to your overall health.

Stay connected to science-based information on vegan nutrition.
  • chrissyfitter
    chrissyfitter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat amys tofu meals. The tofu breakfast wrap is so good. I also eat a lot of smoothies. Oatmeal yummy
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Whole Foods Market near you? Ask for Field Roast where they make the sandwiches. It is vegan and tastes great. They told me it had 20 grams of protein per patty. Also try Vega One Chocolate Protein Powder with Almond milk. Tastes like milkshake and you can add any fruit you like to it.
  • rcclcruiser
    Options
    Also try Whole Foods Sweet Chili Tofu. It tastes great!
  • rcclcruiser
    Options
    Have you been to www.vegan.com? Lots of great recipes and info. there.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ohsheglows.com
  • SpaceKayakRobot
    Options
    I was vegan for a month (carnivore at heart) and tofu was indispensable. Whole foods has an Italian seasoned extra firm tofu that I still crave. Chick peas are great too. Lots of asian foods- miso, edamame, stir fry veggies.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get enough fat and protein. (The carbs take care of themselves on a veggie diet).
    I am not a vegetarian at the moment. (I have been off and on.)
    In order to get enough protein, I would mostly give up grains.
    I ate lentils, beans, chick peas, a few almonds some days, broccoli and cauliflower, summer squash, asparagus, cucumbers, leafy greens, hemp seeds, chia seeds, walnut oil, berries, and such.
  • KaneNLN
    KaneNLN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    advice; dont
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just getting back into MFP again and thought I'd look for some advice and new buddies as I'll be eating pretty differently now
    I became veggie in the new year and it's going great but I want to transition to veganism. I've already cut out most dairy products but I'm not there yet and have quite a bit of weight to lose as I go.
    Feel free to add me!

As a Vegan of 20 years. Just to say Veganism isn't a miracle weightloss diet. I was a morbidly Obese Vegan (see my profile pic). If though you want to eat Vegan due to ethical reasons etc. Personally I never transitioned I just stopped eating and using animal products. Yes I wasn't perfect to start with but eventually I got there. there are now some great informed resources such as from the UK Vegan society. It really is as difficult as you want to make it. http://www.vegansociety.com/ Good Luck
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KaneNLN wrote: »
    advice; dont

Why?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Feel free to add me!

As a Vegan of 20 years. Just to say Veganism isn't a miracle weightloss diet. I was a morbidly Obese Vegan (see my profile pic). If though you want to eat Vegan due to ethical reasons etc. Personally I never transitioned I just stopped eating and using animal products. Yes I wasn't perfect to start with but eventually I got there. there are now some great informed resources such as from the UK Vegan society. It really is as difficult as you want to make it. http://www.vegansociety.com/ Good Luck

I agree with this.