Best Protein Bars?

Options
Since being in college, I've been trying to eat mostly wholesome, natural foods. However, in doing so, it's extremely hard for me to get in a good amount of protein. So I want to start eating more protein, even if the sources aren't as "clean". Because it's really low...less than 100 grams low.

If possible, I would like something that's like a snack. So low calorie, low carb, not a huge amount of sugar. Also, something that I could just get at Walmart.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• rufferta
    rufferta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any "protein" bars that work for me; however, you might try soy milk, or soy 'protein drink', or nonfat Greek yogurt.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Special K Protein Bars....they're around $6-$8 and they're good imo. They have about 10 grams of protein actually
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are good since they are 170-200 calories, VERY low carb, and 20g protein.

I also like the pure protein bars (like caramel nut).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Eggs!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Quest bars are low cal, low carb, not much sugar if any. But I doubt you can get them at Walmart. But you can buy them on Amazon.
    My favorite is Cookie Dough, microwaved for 20 secs!
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    another + for quest bars. They're delicious.
    Having said that, how much do you weigh at the moment? (if you don't mind telling)..
    You should eat around .75 - 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, so perhaps drinking a protein shake (not necessarily a bar) with milk might boost you up to the sufficient amount..

Or a juicy steak. :)
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for something lower calorie and low carb I would recommend a protein powder over a bar. Much more efficient source of protein but still convenient.

As far as bars go, Quest bars have pretty good macros but the only flavor I find tolerable without a bunch of doctoring is Smores(which I actually really like). Power Crunch bars taste amazing and they sell them at Walmart but they're 200 calories with only 13-14g protein.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get Clif Builder's bars at Walmart. 20 grams of protein and they taste good. The Chocolate mint is my favorite one. I also get Muscle Milk protein powder.
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not in Wal-mart but you can get Quest bars on Amazon and they are amazing! High in protein and they taste really good :) Apple pie flavor is my personal favorite!
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    For good sources of protein low in calories (and almost nonexistent in carbs) look to egg whites. If you want straight protein I would look into protein shakes instead of bars. They are much better nutritionally and calorie wise. The better quality you can get the better. Not saying go buy the 100$ brand but don't spend 15-20$ on a crappy brand and expect the same quality. They usually come with some sort of digestive discomfort or are worse on carbs/fats. Also Greek yogurt is really good for lower calorie/decent protein and all it takes is finding the right brand for you. Otherwise look for lean meats, nuts, cheese is high in protein but also high in calorie. (Exception, string cheese usually one has 50-70 calories for 6-8g of protein).

As far as bars, Power crunch protein bars are really good if you pop them in the freezer to enjoy kind of like desert. If youre a peanut butter fan I would recommend their Peanut butter crème. Only downside is they are higher on calories as they have an almost equal amount of carbs/fats to the protein.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Dave55412 wrote: »
    I get Clif Builder's bars at Walmart. 20 grams of protein and they taste good. The Chocolate mint is my favorite one. I also get Muscle Milk protein powder.

if you're talking about this one-
    clif_builder_bar_chocolate_mint2.jpg

heck yes, i agree with you!
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I like Premier Protein Bars - 30 grams protein, 25 grams carbs, 8 grams of fat, 3 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar and 290 calories. May not fit all of your demands but to me they are the best bang for my buck. Less than a $1.00 each at Costco. They might be at Wally World.