Discouraged..I see no changes in how my body looks

Options
To start off I am 5'9" and at my heaviest about 3 months ago I weighed 155 pounds. When I began to diet regularly I weighed about 152. For a little over a month now I have consistently counted my calories and do 40 mins of running or heavy cardio every day. I have the occasional splurge day but for the most part I stick to a relatively healthy diet, always coming in under my calorie count. I currently weigh about 145. It is slow progress but it is progress nonetheless. However I don't feel like my body looks any different. I have taken pictures at different intervals of my journey but i feel as though the first one looks just like the most current one. Shouldn't I be able to see a difference??

Replies

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Ten pounds usually isn't enough to see a difference. I didn't see a difference until I lost about 20 pounds. I'm 5'2" and started at just below 170.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    At 5'9" and 145lbs, you don't need to lose any more weight. Try eating at maintenance, and recomp by doing strength training and making sure you get enough protein. You will slowly lose fat and build muscle to the point you notice a difference, but it will take longer than 3 months.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A seven pound loss in one month is not slow progress. It's pretty darn quick, especially for someone who does not have much to lose.

Edit: I just ran the numbers and you are already at a normal BMI. Instead of attempting to lose more weight, perhaps you should focus on recomposition (eating at maintenance, but adding resistance exercise to try to build muscle and lose fat while maintaining your current weight).
  • minizebu
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    At 5'9" and 145lbs, you don't need to lose any more weight. Try eating at maintenance, and recomp by doing strength training and making sure you get enough protein. You will slowly lose fat and build muscle to the point you notice a difference, but it will take longer than 3 months.

Yes, this. (I was editing my post while you were writing yours and we cross posted.)

• rahkev32
    rahkev32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP.

I started off at 252 #'s on January 1st of this year. Today I am at 215#. I had tried a variety of types of diets/exercises in the past with no true results that would last. For me, I did several things over the last 4 months and it has really been working. First I stopped drinking soft drinks. I have not had a soft drink since Dec 31st, 2014. Second, I started keeping track of everything I was eating and drinking. If it went into my mouth I weighed it. I have been religious about keeping track since day 1. I occasionally have days where I go over my calorie counts but otherwise I keep to it.

Typically I come in under my goal of 1800 calories a day. Third, Exercise. I started walking and walking and walking. I have a Fitbit and it helps me to keep track of my steps during the day. I have a desk job and I get up at least once a hour and walk around and at least every 3-4 hours will go outside for a brisk 10-15 minute walk. I have a GPS tracker on my phone so know not only how far I am going but also how fast.

It is a simple equation to lose weight. Calories In - Calories Burned = weight loss or gain

A manager of mine once told me that "If you can't measure it, you can't manage it". So, you have to know down to the gram/ounce what you are putting into your body. Then you can adjust your calorie intake and exercise time/frequency/type for the most optimum results.

It sounds like your body is just trying to hold on to every calorie it can. Once your metabolism speeds up it will be easier for you to lose it. Fourth, eat as clean as possible. Stay away from processed foods if at all possible. If you have a craving for something, do something else to distract your stomach and if you still have the craving after 15 minutes, eat a very small piece and feel good about it. Savor it and then move on. Also get rid of problem foods/snacks/drinks, etc from your house. It is easy to grab a Coke or eat a pint of Ice cream when you are bored and having nothing to do. Slowly change your diet/mindset. You have to do something continuously for approx 60 days before it becomes a habit.

DO NOT LOSE HOPE, DO NOT GIVE UP. Keep going and persevere! You will achieve whatever goal you have for yourself. If the scale does not move for a week or even a month, don't get discouraged, get mad and kill some calories on a trail somewhere. When I am hurting all over I like to imagine the fat cells / calories dying a most horrible death.

And make sure to drink lots of water to flush out all those dead calories.
  • LClark12
    LClark12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I may only weigh 145 but my BMI is in the overweight category (my scale may be wrong though). How can I weigh 145 yet still have so much fat around my thighs and hips. I was told by a doctor with my ratio of hips to waist that I may be at an increased risk for health problems. Not anything drastic since it isn't immensely different, but definitely something to watch out for due to my pear shape.
  • minizebu
    Options
    No. If you are 5'9" and weigh 145 pounds, you are most definitely not in the overweight category for BMI.

Per the CDC Adult BMI calculator: "Your BMI is 21.4, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height. For your height, a normal weight range would be from 125 to 169 pounds." Link: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html

It is possible for you to be overfat, but you are not overweight, and your BMI is normal for your height.

Were you told by your doctor that your waist to hip ratio was too high before or after you lost weight? What are your actual waist and hip measurements now at 145 pounds?
  • Marshmella
    Marshmella Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    :( Im 5'2" and weigh 166 lbs I have always struggled with my thighs.. My sisters used to call me thunder thighs....and that's when I was thinner...they don't say anything now but that cause we're older. I'm not giving up and you shouldn't either. I always thought it was any pound after 10 lbs. that was noticeable. Keep on doing what you are doing.
    We will win this revolution....the odds are ever in our favor!
  • cathiggs
    cathiggs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try adding weight training into your routine as as other people have said you are a healthy bi so maintain instead