Best diet for women over 40?

Options
Since I turned 38 I begin to pack weight easier, but when I turned 40 I stated gaining weight really fast and it has been really hard to loose anything. Any suggestions on calorie, exercises and anything that can help me loose weight as effective as I can. Thank you.

Replies

• jrek521
    jrek521 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing weight until I honestly tracked my food in MFP (even "just a taste" foods since 1 chip here and 1 brownie bite there all adds up). I also try not to eat back my calories when I work out. Good luck!
  • althea1975
    althea1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Calorie restrictions are vital to weight loss. So you need to tract it daily.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat to a calorie defecit

and lift heavy things and put them down again

and don't use your age as an excuse
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There isnt one other than a balanced diet that will give you all the nutrition your body needs and still keep you at a calorie deficit. Lean meats, lots of veggie and if you can work it in the occasional treat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    After 40 you'll need lots of apples.

Just kidding. Eat at a calorie deficit like everybody else and eat foods you like like everybody else.
  • debbiesteinman
    debbiesteinman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 59 gained 40 lbs after quitting smoking 1.5 years ago. Joined Goodlife Fitness Club back in November and got a personal trainer. I have kept track of everything I eat and I train three times a week with the trainer and for the last three months I added HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the bike, elliptical and rowing machine (not all at once). Aging and weight loss are Far More Difficult with advancing age. I am now going to do a very low carbohydrate diet since I am not losing the weight. I am getting stronger and fitter under this fat but this fat just will not come off despite working out. Any suggestions??? I guess I just want to let you all know that I totally understand the frustration with this whole process.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am 59 gained 40 lbs after quitting smoking 1.5 years ago. Joined Goodlife Fitness Club back in November and got a personal trainer. I have kept track of everything I eat and I train three times a week with the trainer and for the last three months I added HIIT (high intensity interval training) on the bike, elliptical and rowing machine (not all at once). Aging and weight loss are Far More Difficult with advancing age. I am now going to do a very low carbohydrate diet since I am not losing the weight. I am getting stronger and fitter under this fat but this fat just will not come off despite working out. Any suggestions??? I guess I just want to let you all know that I totally understand the frustration with this whole process.

weigh and log your food properly and with care

don't overestimate calorie burns from exercise

the reason it's more difficult is because people get less active / lose more muscle when they age - it's minimal though about 100 cals a day difference per decade .. and the way to counteract is to do what you're doing - build muscle / be more active

but you lose weight through calorie defecit - if you want to go low carb that's one route but you have to be able to stick to it for life - I couldn't I rebounded twice from low carb badly
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I started mfp when I was 40...CICO works great.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I've heard that bone and muscle loss can increase greatly as you age.

Eat at a deficit, lift heavy.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If you starting gaining weight quickly without any change in diet and activity, then I'd suggest getting checked for thyroid/hormonal problems or insulin resistance.

If you gained because you've become more sedentary with age, then I'd suggest starting a regular exercise routine. If you are overeating, then get your calories in check.

The best diet for a 40 yo woman with no medical problems is a balanced diet and a balanced exercise routine (including aerobic, strength, felxibility and balance). This is what will lead to aging healthily.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    CICO.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Eat to a calorie defecit

and lift heavy things and put them down again

and don't use your age as an excuse

I follow this advice.

I turned 45 in Jan and realized that I needed to take care of myself if I wanted to have fun in my golden years (and the years leading up to them). I started logging elsewhere years ago, so no diary here. I weigh or measure anything with calories. Lifting has increased my self-confidence and is doing lovely things for my body shape. As of this morning, 27.6 lbs lost since Dec.

I do like lower carb/high fat because it keeps my hunger in check and I make delicious things. I tend to eat like this, anyway, and don't care for sweets. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's already your preferred foods.
    I wait to eat until around lunch time most days, so a version of intermittent fasting, except on lifting days when I have a cheese and cracker snack right before going to the gym in the morning. Waiting to eat helps me keep to my deficit since I like large meals and the feeling of fullness afterwards.
    These are just tools to keep my deficit in check. Each individual has to figure out how to keep themselves on track.