Ankle sprain and exercise

Options
I sprained my ankle pretty badly about a week and a half ago.. Right after I started working out again of course!! It happened on my treadmill when I wasn't even working out lol the first few days I could barely walk on it but since then I've tried taking short walks but even going to the grocery store for a half hour will cause it to be a little bit sore still.

I'm just wondering what might be some good, at home with very limited equipment, exercises that I could do until it I'm able to walk for longer periods of time and eventually run on it again?

Replies

• olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Get an ankle brace or a tensor bandage and wrap it if you haven't already. Take ibuprofen for the swelling. And then take a week off from any physical activity to give it a chance to heal! I know that's way easier said than done but it's better to take the time off then to make the problem worse by aggravating it further. (Ask me how I know! lol!)

Hope you heal up soon!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises that don't put weight on ankle - probably hard at home. Gym with machines would be better.

Transform the body more that way, though it won't let you eat as much since you don't burn as much.

Also, body heals faster the less stress on it - so lighten up on the diet to heal faster.
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle at around this time last year and was unable to do things like squats/deadlifts for some time.. though really, it didn't stop me from doing much else.
    I got some crutches to get around and still hit the gym daily.
    Thankfully ankle mobility wasn't an issue so I was able to do spin classes as part of my weekly cardio, and, while somewhat uncomfortable, was able to do almost all my lifts without an issue..
  • chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was thinking an ankle brace could help.. I will have to take a look next time I go to town! Luckily there isn't much for swelling anymore unless I walk way too much but unfortunately I'm allergic to ibuprofen lol I have a doctors appointment tomorrow but I'm guessing she won't have much to tell me. I've never sprained my ankle before and had no idea it could take this long to feel better!!

I wish I could go to the gym! I know I would be able to find something to do there. The only things I have at home is a treadmill, a lot of land to walk on, and a few different sets of weights.

I wonder if maybe some yoga would be okay to do? It doesn't seem to bother me unless I walk for more than 30 minutes at one time.