Power Rack recommendations? [UK]

Options
Robide
Robide Posts: 101 Member
Hi all,

So, with Robide Jnr on the way, it's going to get harder to find time to make it down to the gym, so I'm looking to get a home set up, and wanted to see what others in the community were using.

I'm only a year or so into my lifting career, so I think at this stage, something with a 215kg + max load will be sufficient, and I'm keen to get something with a pulley system also for my 5/3/1 support work.

Looking around, I have a few Power Cages that seem to fit the bill, but wanted to see if anyone had much feedback on any of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GYMANO-ULTIMATE-POWER-RACK-SILVER/dp/B00Q5A5G76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429539510&sr=8-2&keywords=power+rack

MiraFit Power Rack Workout Cage & Cable System - Black or Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Ryno

Bodymax CF375 Power Rack System (with lat/low pulley) at Powerhouse Fitness

Any advice from anyone who has picked up any of the above systems?

Replies

• polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the Mirafit one but without the cables (already have a seperate cable machine so didn't need the pulley system) It's a good, solid piece and great value for money, suits my needs perfectly. I mainly use it for pull ups, squats and bench press. It isn't huge and so doesn't take up too much room in my garage gym either. I use it almost daily and it was a fab buy in my opinion!

Hope that helps!!
  • Robide
    Options
    Very useful, thank you! Have you had any drops onto the supports at all, and if so, how did they fare?
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    We've just ordered the half rack of the one you've put up from Powerhouse, we got a really good deal in store (about £300 off the whole purchase) so if you can I would definitely recommend going in or calling them up.

We aren't picking up until Friday/Saturday but will let you know if you haven't made your decision by then :)
  • Robide
    Options
    That's really interesting feedback. What else did you buy to get that deal? I'll be buying the lot, bench, bar and plates, but the rack is the bit I'm most concerned about!
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I got the half rack linked below (sorry think it is a little different), Olympic bar, 145kg weight set (rubber), bench, 2 x flooring linked below and the Selectabell stand (the £90 one) for £750. On finance I think it was £870, they do 0% but could apply a bigger discount code if bought upfront.

Hope that helps!

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-cf470-heavy-half-rack.php

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-6-x-4-x-10mm-commercial-rubber-gym-mat.php
  • Robide
    Options
    Aha, different rack then, but the feedback about the deal they did is still very interesting. I'll be sure to give them a call, and see what type of deal they may be prepared to do!
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I had the CF375, no problems with it at all. You'll need a 7' barbell if i remember correctly. I also had the pull down attachments, i probably i wouldn't bother so much with those.
  • Robide
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good feedback. Did you upgrade to something else? And what didn't you like about the lat pull-down?
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    the lat pull down added more height, and really didn't get the usage. I focused primarily on Squat. The rack was in my lounge. There was no need to upgrade, its a rack. You lift heavy stuff and can do it a little safer than without the rack, simple as that. Wider barbell, as the collars need to be outside of the rack! Unfortunately with a baby on the way, i ended up selling it to make space/safer environment in the lounge.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Decathlon have a lot of stuff that's very reasonable. I got a wee rack that has a 250kg limit for £140, they had others with the pulley system but I'm not sure of the price.

However, if I had my time again, I'd make my own (or commission my dad anyway). There are loads of plans online for DIY powercages - much cheaper and better IMO, or even call a few fabricators for a quote.