Got sick last year and gained 100 pounds. Horrified and looking for support.

Options
Hey I'm Caitlin. I'm 27 and recently went from 140 to 240 pounds. As in since last year. I wasn't able to move around for a while and I got depressed and bored and all I had to do was eat, eat, eat. All of a sudden, within a few months, I felt as though some mean person had come over while I was sleeping and sewn me into a fat suit. I diet pretty hard for a while then I fail to see the point in it any more and gain everything back and more. I am looking for help with motivation in exercising and finding different ways to be active throughout the day.

Replies

• Kim_1971
    Kim_1971 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Caitlin. I can relate since I have MS and am sometimes bed ridden or in a wheelchair for months at a time. Prednisone treatments make me gain crazy amounts of weight. It seems like I just get back on track and start doing well and then bam another issue.

All I can suggest is to focus on where you want to be and fight everyday to be that person again. You can and will get there. I have 75+ lbs to lose. It seems like a huge goal so for right now I will concentrate on the first 10.

• Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Caitlin, Welcome to MFP. My wife and I started here 3 weeks ago and the pounds are melting off. Just browse and read the forum posts and then take action. You too will lose the fat.
  • gabbeke
    gabbeke Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me! I understand how easy it is to gain weight when severely depressed and barely able to drag yourself out of bed from day-to-day...been there :( and still am there to a degree. But friends and encouragement really do help!
  • EaglesFan4Ever
    EaglesFan4Ever Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You got it. Glad to see you're up and running. I'm looking to lose 100+. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • GreginParadise
    GreginParadise Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here for all your support Caitlin, fit on girl!
  • morazacs1991
    morazacs1991 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a wicked bad allergic reaction to some medication and now am stuck on tapering prednisone for the next several weeks, I looked up how prednisone causes weight gain in order to see how I could work around it. Prednisone causes weight gain through appetite stimulation, increased uptake of dietary fat, and excretion of potassium/retention of sodium aka water weight. Taking this into consideration I have been watching my daily calories, fat and sodium and thankfully am still losing weight even though I'm on this med. hope this helps someone! ☺️
  • Bekzie82
    Bekzie82 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you went through such a tough time! Stay strong and you will meet your goals.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    10lbs at a time. Just 10lbs at a time. Celebrate every pound like mad. And, wait. It will get better.
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all. :) I look forward to helping each other out.
  • varneson
    varneson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!!! You just described my life!!!!! I got hurt in September since then I've had 4 surgeries. 1 in November and 3 in January. I have gained about 40 pounds since September. I am on all kinds of medications a lot of them are for pain. I am home all the time by my self so I as well eat due to boredom. My mobility is still very limited so that makes it even harder for me to lose weight. I'm here to support you!!
  • scotvalkyrie
    scotvalkyrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to take prednisone daily for my sarcoidosis. I can't breathe unless I take it, and I like breathing, so I guess I'm stuck. I've been on it now for ten years and I've gained 75 pounds while on it. I feel your pain! It's so hard with the steroids, as I feel hungry all the dang time! Sometimes it's like a losing battle. I'll keep trying if you do!