Anyone start with C25K and branch off on their own before co

Options
Has anyone here "learned" to run using the Couch25K programme, but then switched to your own thing before it was over? How did that go for you?

I did W5D1 on Monday and ended up running straight through the second three minute walk because I was enjoying the run and didn't want to stop, so I finished off with a 13 minute run and it felt like that was an appropriate challenge for me, not easy, but doable without being too much. I feel completely confident that I could do a 15 minute uninterrupted run (with a five minute walking warm up and cool down of course) and I want to just get to it. I really don't want to continue with the switching between running and walking as I'm meant to do for W5D2 and W6D1 and D2, and at the same time, I don't feel ready for a 20 minute run. I think a few more 15 minute runs, adding a few minutes each week instead of jumping to 20 and then 25 so quickly would work better for me. I'm not in a huge hurry to make it to 30 minutes; if it takes me several weeks longer to get to 30 mins. on my own than it would with C25K, I'm fine with that - I'd rather feel like I'm listening to my body than get there faster. So I'm very tempted to just start doing my own thing at this point.

That said, I question whether or not that's actually a good idea, since so many people seem to have had such great success by following C25K. It leaves me wondering if the programme's designed the way it is for good reason and if I'll ultimately be more successful sticking to it and would actually be sabotaging myself by branching away on my own at this point.

Any advice from those who have done this (or anyone who's knowledgeable about running) would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm just about where you are, but I switched off at about week 3 because I can run wayyy more than the program tells me to. I'm also young and already somewhat active, so I didn't see a problem with going farther and longer. I haven't had any problems and ran 2.5 miles straight on Sunday at Bay to Breakers (San Francisco race.) But I'm also a new runner so I'll be checking this thread, curious to see the responses!
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    I'm just about where you are, but I switched off at about week 3 because I can run wayyy more than the program tells me to. I'm also young and already somewhat active, so I didn't see a problem with going farther and longer. I haven't had any problems and ran 2.5 miles straight on Sunday at Bay to Breakers (San Francisco race.) But I'm also a new runner so I'll be checking this thread, curious to see the responses!

If I can ask, how long has it been since you switched off? And WTG on the 2.5 miles, that's awesome!
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Oh, we have the same goal weight and are right around the same current weight as well! How tall are you?
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Just about three weeks...I just didn't like the constant running vs walking, so I run as long as I can, then break for a minute or two, then run another 5-10 minutes, break, one more run, then cool down for about 40 minutes total. (I work out on my lunch hour so its limited.)

I'm 5'3! How about you?
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Just about three weeks...I just didn't like the constant running vs walking, so I run as long as I can, then break for a minute or two, then run another 5-10 minutes, break, one more run, then cool down for about 40 minutes total. (I work out on my lunch hour so its limited.)

I'm 5'3! How about you?

Yeah, I'm really not liking the switching back and forth either. I've noticed for me that the first 2.5 or so minutes of a run are the hardest, and then I sort of find a comfortable place and it's enjoyable, and stopping and starting again means repeating that every time, which is unpleasant. I actually hadn't even considered taking breaks based on how I was feeling (as opposed to the timed ones with C25K) like you're describing, but it's a good idea, sounds like it probably ultimately allows for more running than forcing a non-stop run.

5'2" here! I envy your extra inch. :laugh:
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Well don't tell anyone but I'm actually 5'2 3/4 (shhh!) and I round up.

Yeah, I really like running as long as I can, I feel like it allows me to build up my lungs better than stopping and starting. I think C25K is great for people older, heavier, or not used to doing hardly any exercise at all. I think in our situation its totally fine to do more, as long as we don't overdo it of course. I've found I've built up my running faster, and I run for much more of the workout and I can settle into that nice pace you mentioned. You can try it for a week or two and see how you do, which you prefer, and always switch back to C25K if you find it works better!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Well, I skipped a week...possibly week 7 or 8, can't remember. And I finished the last day, which was 30 minutes of running...but then the next time I ran I ran for 58 minutes just to say that yes, I can run 3 miles after doing the program. So, I did follow it pretty closely, but skipped a week and then ran for a really long time right after finishing the program.

I am still a slow runner...but instead of it taking me 58 minutes to run 3 miles, I can do it in 42.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I went to about week 7 then found that I could run 30 mins and started doing my own thing.
    Now I can run 5-6 km (slowly) and have decided to start training for a 12k race at the end of August. Gah!
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    I went to about week 7 then found that I could run 30 mins and started doing my own thing.
    Now I can run 5-6 km (slowly) and have decided to start training for a 12k race at the end of August. Gah!

5-6 km is amazing! Good luck with the 12K!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Bump - I may have the same issue in a while. I haven't started the program but I'm probably at the week 5-ish level as it is so I may start from there and see how it goes..