Any alcoholics who quit without AA?

Options
ProfessorPupil
ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
I am an alcoholic and in addition to sabotaging my weight loss, it is causing me serious health problems. I am finding myself totally unable to quit regardless of the many awful problems it is causing in my life.

I do not want to seek help from Alcoholic's Anonymous for many reasons, but I do want to seek help.

I am already in therapy for this problem and PTSD, and it is not helping me.

Has anyone successfully quit drinking without the help of AA, and if so, can you offer some advice please?

Replies

• PurplePoloPlayer
    PurplePoloPlayer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that therapy is not helping. It worked for me. As a binge drinker I felt AA wasn't for me. Is it possible to try seeing a different therapist? Try to find one that has a PHD. Like any profession, there are good and bad doctors. Don't be afraid to shop around a bit.

Other advise that might help:

Don't go to bars...ever. Find a different activity. Happy hour went to the gym for me.

Don't hang around drinkers. The pressure to drink will be too great.

The PTSD MUST be addressed until it is under control. Until you find a therapist that clicks with you consider prayer or meditation. Are you former US military? Try getting help from US department of veteran affairs.

Last thought. It takes six weeks to be comfortable in a group setting. AA might still work. You have to shop around for the right group and really stick it out. Keep an open mind.
  • Josephfunk
    Josephfunk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is to stay away from it all together. It's how I quit smoking, it's the only thing that works for me I can't justify the oh I'll just have a few tonight cause tomorrow could go wrong and I need to change and be healthy. Find what works for you and make it stick good luck.
  • sadanski
    sadanski Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you have any real life support?? I find that having people in the same situation and being able to talk and support each other helps.. I started with an online group of people on Wordpress, that blog and support each-other thru sharing stories and even just reading.. There is a wonderful blogger Belle at "Tired of Thinking about Drinking" She offers a 100 day challenge to quit drinking and will help support you with your journey.. PM me if you need a friend.. I have been struggling for years and just recently become sober for good.. xo