Kettlebells and calories

Options
So I'm wondering how to count kettlebells in my exercise. I work with a trainer, and some days resemble an hour of weight lifting, some days are mostly cardio and some are a combination. I wear my HRM, but I am pretty sure weight lifting screws with the calorie count since it's compacted breathing or whatever, not straight cardio.

What do you all do about counting calories days of weight lifting or a circuits of weights and cardio?

Replies

• mdcroft
    mdcroft Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So I'm wondering how to count kettlebells in my exercise. I work with a trainer, and some days resemble an hour of weight lifting, some days are mostly cardio and some are a combination. I wear my HRM, but I am pretty sure weight lifting screws with the calorie count since it's compacted breathing or whatever, not straight cardio.

What do you all do about counting calories days of weight lifting or a circuits of weights and cardio?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The HRM will just be an estimate whether you're doing straight cardio or weight lifting, but it will be a closer estimate to the actual value than anything else. It can't measure oxygen consumption, and neither will anything online. It's best to use those HRM values.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    hmm i would just input the kettlebell and other weight lifting activities under the "strength training" area of exercise. i'm not sure if it adds calories to your daily total as i've been a lazy butt not doing strength training, but i think it's awesome you are as it helps keep your lean muscle as you lose weight
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Oh, strength training can really burn up calories if you do it right! A lot of people don't work hard enough--they use weight that is too light, or rest too long, or stop before they even reach anything close to fatigue just because they reached the magic #12. But if keep your reps high, your breaks short, and work to fatigue, you'll definitely feel it. I can't eat too soon before I squat. :sick:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I can't eat too soon before I squat. :sick:

haha same. i was doing lots of strength training over the summer and i still remember the first day i began squating with 10 pound dumbbells, i hurled because i had just eaten pasta for lunch a half hour prior
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I can't eat too soon before I squat. :sick:

haha same. i was doing lots of strength training over the summer and i still remember the first day i began squating with 10 pound dumbbells, i hurled because i had just eaten pasta for lunch a half hour prior

Yea, my first was during my first try at 20 rep squats. There was no bucket so I held it in/swallowed. Now I have been having trouble getting my cardio in, so I'll run a lap around the track between each set. UGH it sucks. I have to use such light weight, but it's a really dynamic workout and it's changed my body a lot in just a couple weeks.