Weekends are killing me

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, I've been using this app on and off for a couple of years now, but this time im really focused. However, it seems like this time the alcohol etc on a weekend are having much more if an effect on my efforts and literally taking me back to square one each week. Anyone else experiencing this? Im 30 m by the way. Mat
    No one is forcing you to drink alcohol. You just gotta make the decision on whether or not you want to be as consistent on the weekends as you are during the week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mattyb0ysykes
    mattyb0ysykes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    spambox190 wrote: »
    I stopped going out with my friends as much. Too much alcohol and fried food. Having a new baby gives me a reason to stay home too. Or is that a reason not to be home? Ha!

My Mrs is expecting in July, so i think your right that will give me good reason to pie off the jagër bombs ;)

• lholmes1985
    lholmes1985 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Like anything, it takes time to adjust to a new routine. This weekend have half of what you normally would, ten the next weekend half of the half you had the weekends before( that was a mouthful). And soon you'll be adjusted to one or two social drinks.

30 is coming for me in June. I think there's just something about 30 that throws everything into chaos
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking!! :) it will change your life! I know, easier said than done sometimes. But I did it - cold turkey and I haven't regretted it once. I never have to worry about sleeping my hangovers away and wasting my days. You'll find ways to be so much more productive :)
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    some good advise here. you can definitely work the drinks in. heavy or binge drinking probably not or at least not every weekend, save the heavy drinking for special occasions. I do try drinking a glass of water every other drink and that helps to slow down how many i have and still feel good :wink: and I'm definitely not doing jaegarbombs. lol

i think you'll find when your tolerance comes down a little over time you won't need as much as well.

since its easier for me to eat lower calorie during the week i do that so i have more calories to work with over the weekend. that helps as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    shmulyeng wrote: »
    Drinking calories is never a good idea.

I soooo disagree with this. I drink wine almost daily, and quite a bit on the weekend. And it was a problem with weight loss at first. I did cut back a little, but mostly I just asked myself what I really wanted to spend my calories on. And wine was one of the things on the list. So, I cut back in other areas. Desserts, candy, etc. was not high on the list, so most of those got cut in favor of wine.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

I soooo disagree with this. I drink wine almost daily, and quite a bit on the weekend. And it was a problem with weight loss at first. I did cut back a little, but mostly I just asked myself what I really wanted to spend my calories on. And wine was one of the things on the list. So, I cut back in other areas. Desserts, candy, etc. was not high on the list, so most of those got cut in favor of wine.
    Yeeeeeeeup!
  • mattyb0ysykes
    Options

To be fair, i love red wine, so this is pleasing to hear
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Like other people above, I tend to eat under my goal throughout the week to accommodate the fact that I'm lazy on the weekends. (I find it very easy to eat when I'm just relaxing, or if I decide to go out with friends.) I then just watch the app to see that I'm averaging out to the correct deficit over the week.

That said, I also did have to eventually address how much I was drinking (a lot, back in the day) and why. Nowadays I still have probably at least one or two beers a week, and indulge moreso once in a while. I find nowadays I much prefer rocking a steady buzz to being outright drunk, so it gets easier to drink less. :)
  • epoyntz
    epoyntz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've found that by actually logging ALL the drinks AND what you eat whilst drinking on here, it can be a bit of an eye opener as to how many calories you really did consume - sometimes you may want to just miss logging the weekend since you know you splurged (ignorance is bliss right?) - it can actually help deter you in future from going overboard.
  • mattyb0ysykes
    Options
    epoyntz wrote: »
    I've found that by actually logging ALL the drinks AND what you eat whilst drinking on here, it can be a bit of an eye opener as to how many calories you really did consume - sometimes you may want to just miss logging the weekend since you know you splurged (ignorance is bliss right?) - it can actually help deter you in future from going overboard.

Ignorance is bliss, until you creep onto those scales and ignorance smacks you one right on the kissa ;)

Ha, i know what your saying though.

• mattyb0ysykes
    Options
    Just a quick update on this because i'm sure you are all fascinated by what happens to me at a weekend ;)

I took it easier last weekend but did have a few voddys and a slice of pizza on the Friday. When I weighed myself on the Sunday i nearly fainted when i had put on 5lbs!!! Wtf?! However...

Just before i gave up on the whole thing i did a bit of research into weight fluctuation.

http://greatist.com/health/understanding-scale-bloat-and-weight-loss

This is what happens to me.!! Which explains the whole 'weekends are killing me'. Its just water retension!

Weighed myself after footy on Monday and i was back down 5lbs again.

Long story short, i am now only going to weigh myself once a week from now on

Hope your all succeeding in your efforts! :smile:
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Really look at drink options. Not all beers are the same, not all mixed drinks are the same. Save the calories and guzzle a *kitten* load of water before. I find if my stomach is almost painfully full it's easier to booze it up slower. I also try to avoid any handfuls of food. You know the typical party food. A couple handfuls of nuts or crackers or whatever can kill you. Worse case I am good all week and I figure it took me a long time to lose weight I won't put it all back on at once. So if I go over once a month or so then so be it.
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Although my profile pic is a delicious beer and food
  • gelsdon
    gelsdon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A friend said to me he likes to save the bad calories for booze. Which although not a perfect mantra... Has some merits.

I think it's all a balance. If you have a good healthy mix most of the time... Then a few weekend drinks should be fine.

If you are hitting the take away on the way home too... That's when the calories really start stacking up.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello guys, I've been using this app on and off for a couple of years now, but this time im really focused. However, it seems like this time the alcohol etc on a weekend are having much more if an effect on my efforts and literally taking me back to square one each week. Anyone else experiencing this? Im 30 m by the way. Mat

Just ask your self what do you want more? Alcohol, or Results? Maybe just suck it up for a few months and get your results...then drink in moderation.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update on this because i'm sure you are all fascinated by what happens to me at a weekend ;)

I took it easier last weekend but did have a few voddys and a slice of pizza on the Friday. When I weighed myself on the Sunday i nearly fainted when i had put on 5lbs!!! Wtf?! However...

Just before i gave up on the whole thing i did a bit of research into weight fluctuation.

http://greatist.com/health/understanding-scale-bloat-and-weight-loss

This is what happens to me.!! Which explains the whole 'weekends are killing me'. Its just water retension!

Weighed myself after footy on Monday and i was back down 5lbs again.

Long story short, i am now only going to weigh myself once a week from now on

Hope your all succeeding in your efforts! :smile:

This is why I weigh on Friday mornings.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Pre log a couple of drinks each day that you are concerned about. That way you will have the calories "left" for it. Then stick to your plan. I can fit a lite beer or a glass of wine into my calorie budget of less than 1500 total cals per day on most days. I may have to leave another treat out, though, like having a drink instead of dessert. Margaritas with chips and salsa are the hardest for me, mostly because of the mountains of chips and salsa I can eat. ( Sigh. . . . Thinking wistfully of chips, salsa, and margaritas. . . )

Seriously, though, I don't struggle so much with the drinks. It is the sweets and snacks for me. In our neighborhood, there is a liquor store right next to the best donut shop in town. I can tell you right now that it is safer for me to go in the liquor store. . . .
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I partied heavily in high school and got over it before I started college, so I've been a teetotaler since about 18. So, I've never had this problem, but I've got lots of friends who have. There was an interesting piece on NPR last month about taking positive steps away from college drinking towards moderation, and there are some programs designed with that in mind. (As opposed to an abstinence program). While it doesn't sound like you have a "drinking problem" per se, perhaps some of the techniques would be helpful to you so that you can still drink with friends on the weekends, and meet your weight goals.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/03/23/393651417/rethinking-alcohol-can-heavy-drinkers-learn-to-cut-back
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I also have weekends that consist of at least one quite boozy night, but it's my thing and I make it fit into my calories. If I go over, then I clean up the diet the next day and move on. I'm still consistently losing weight and have yet to hit a plateau.

Something has to give somewhere, so I try to prepare ahead of time for the weekend by banking some calories a day or two ahead. I hover between 1200 - 1500 daily calories, so on Fridays I'll likely have a very light eating day of less than 500 calories, I'll then have my 1000 calories of alcoholic drinks that night, then start the next day with a headache and a few hard boiled eggs, and resume my normal eating.

Healthy? Meh. Effective? Yes.