Picky eater who hates cooking

Options
Is it possible to lose weight when you hate most vegetables and can't handle eating a lot of fruit and also happen to hate cooking which means loving sandwiches? That's probably a crazy question but really I only like a few vegetables like green beans, peas, corn, and a few others. I hate lettuce, I keep attempting to eat it but still just can't get past the texture of it. My family all have different tastes so making a home cooked meal every night is nearly impossible because no one likes the same things and my fiancé basically lives on pizza or hamburgers. He also works as a butcher so he is constantly bringing home meat and we grill at least every other day. I guess my few questions would be...

How often on average is it okay to eat bread/buns? I love tuna sandwiches and egg (hard boiled and scrambled) sandwiches.

Are burgers extremely unhealthy? Is there anyway to make it healthier? What other foods do you enjoy cooked on the grill? How do you make it through the grilling season?

And any other advice you may be able to offer!! What I eat seems to be one of my biggest issues and I have also recently been put on meds for high cholesterol (I'm only 24) but I've decided to try to get it down myself over the summer.

Replies

• chelsmaee7
    chelsmaee7 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly terrible at cooking.. Most things turn out edible lol it's mostly just that I would have to cook at least 2 full meals between my son, my fiancé, and myself. Breakfast is something that I'm the only one home for but other than eggs I can't seem to think of anything else to make for breakfast. I know oatmeal is a recommended breakfast food but I prefer savory foods rather than sweet. I am lucky in that way.. Candy and sweets are no issue for me because I rarely crave or enjoy them lol
  • chelsmaee7
    Options
    I can eat what they eat and wouldn't mind doing that but I can hardly imagine that living on pizza, cheeseburgers, fried foods, tacos, and things like that would be great for trying to lose weight. The only healthy thing either of them eats is salad which ends up becoming mainly cheese, bacon, and dressing lol
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Here's a proposal.

Serve a meal. If they don't like it they can make their own or starve. Stop buying crap and give them little choice.

You aren't doing them any favours by letting them eat that constantly either.

There *must* be something that you will all eat that will be a healthy compromise, you just need to look harder.

By family, do you mean husband/kid? or other family members?
  • chelsmaee7
    Options
    Here's a proposal.

Serve a meal. If they don't like it they can make their own or starve. Stop buying crap and give them little choice.

You aren't doing them any favours by letting them eat that constantly either.

There *must* be something that you will all eat that will be a healthy compromise, you just need to look harder.

By family, do you mean husband/kid? or other family members?

Yes, my fiancé and son. I never buy any of the stuff that they like to eat, my fiancés family owns a grocery store so he brings home a lot of the stuff for free. His dad also cooks his families dinner at work sometimes and my fiancé will bring that home. I've tried to get him to stop bringing the stuff home.

I can occasionally get my son to eat chicken but other than lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers he doesn't like most other vegetables. I've actually tried to come up with a list of healthier dinners that EVERYONE will eat and have only managed to find maybe 2. If I can find something that my son will agree too, then I don't care if my fiancé wants to find something of his own to eat. My son is only 7 so he can't exactly make himself dinner lol

• MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you need to have a serious conversation with your fiance then.

You are setting up your child's eating habits for life, and he is currently on the same "I don't like vegetables" path that you are on. Kids aren't born with pre-conceived ideas of what is good/bad. Japanese kids aren't born with an inherent liking of miso and raw fish, Indian kids aren't born with an inherent liking of strong spices. They eat these things because that is what the family eats, over time they grow accustomed to them and then they prefer them over other foods.

Your kid has learned a preference for pizza and cheeseburgers from you (both of you). You are currently in a position to change that, but you will need to give your fiance a kick up the bum. Of course given the option kids will choose the fat laden/sugary option. It's your responsibility as a parent to ensure that they get other things too and that they learn to like other things.

7 isn't too young to cook, get him to cook with you. Kids are much more likely to eat foods that they've made, so make it together. Start with healthier home-made versions of his 'normal' foods, and then expand the flavour range. Make your own burgers from lean beef, onions, a little egg to bind and some seasoning. It's simple and takes minutes. "forget" to buy buns to go with the burgers and work together to come up with an alternative based on the healthier options you have in the fridge. Experiment with different textures for foods... many kids aren't so keen on boiled carrots, but they often like finely grated raw carrot... the sweetness and fine texture appeals more. Get him involved and see if you can make "scenes" or "animals" or whatever out of the food, make it fun.

In regards to yourself... Your health is not great for your age (cholesterol wise anyway). If you care about it, then fix it regardless of everyone else.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    chelsmaee7 wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose weight when you hate most vegetables and can't handle eating a lot of fruit and also happen to hate cooking which means loving sandwiches? That's probably a crazy question but really I only like a few vegetables like green beans, peas, corn, and a few others. I hate lettuce, I keep attempting to eat it but still just can't get past the texture of it. My family all have different tastes so making a home cooked meal every night is nearly impossible because no one likes the same things and my fiancé basically lives on pizza or hamburgers. He also works as a butcher so he is constantly bringing home meat and we grill at least every other day. I guess my few questions would be...

How often on average is it okay to eat bread/buns? I love tuna sandwiches and egg (hard boiled and scrambled) sandwiches.

Are burgers extremely unhealthy?
    Is there anyway to make it healthier? What other foods do you enjoy cooked on the grill? How do you make it through the grilling season?

And any other advice you may be able to offer!! What I eat seems to be one of my biggest issues and I have also recently been put on meds for high cholesterol (I'm only 24) but I've decided to try to get it down myself over the summer.

Look for recipes for grilled foods. For example, try green grilled beans. Then try another veggie for the grill. :)
    If your fiance brings home meet, cook it on the grill.
    It is o.k. to eat bread/buns but it is hard to stay under calorie goal and get enough protein. :)
    Use the diary to see if you can fit the bread into at least two meals a day.

At 7 years old, your son can be involved in meal planning, creating shopping lists, prepping, and cooking. This will help him to be interested in eating new foods.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really? I hate fruits and vegetables. Good Lord grow up.
  • chelsmaee7
    Options

[/quote]

Look for recipes for grilled foods. For example, try green grilled beans. Then try another veggie for the grill. :)
    If your fiance brings home meet, cook it on the grill.
    It is o.k. to eat bread/buns but it is hard to stay under calorie goal and get enough protein. :)
    Use the diary to see if you can fit the bread into at least two meals a day.

At 7 years old, your son can be involved in meal planning, creating shopping lists, prepping, and cooking. This will help him to be interested in eating new foods.[/quote]

I was actually thinking about vegetables that I might be able to make on the grill! We have a very short summer here so we like to enjoy every last bit of time we can use the grill.. Sometimes we will use it twice a day! Are tortillas any better than bread/buns?

I do have my son help occasionally with easier tasks but he might be ready to take on a few more responsibilities. I am signing him up for a summer program where one of the things they learn about is healthy eating and preparing meals based on skills for their age group. I tried to get him to make a shopping list of his own to work on his spelling but it basically consisted of ice cream lol

• chelsmaee7
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

I don't the fruits and vegetables. I actually love almost all fruits but I also don't really like sweet foods so it's hard to eat as much fruit as I should. As for vegetables, I don't like a lot of them but there are a few that I like and I also continue to try others that I have never liked hoping that one day I won't hate them so much.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Veggies are great on the grill. My favorites are zucchini, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, and onions. If the zucchini are small (more tender), halve lengthwise, otherwise slice into rounds. Slice the peppers and onions into thick slices. Brush with a little oil to prevent sticking, season as desired and grill until tender (no need to char them to pieces). Since you eat a lot of burgers, grill the onion slices to give them a different flavor than just raw onion.

You say you don't like lettuce - is it just plain iceberg (which the only purpose for that is on tacos) or have you tried other greens such as butter, romaine, leaf, spinach, chard, kale, arugula, etc? Some are sweeter than others so you might like something like arugula which has a bit of a peppery bite to it. Growing up we only had iceberg salads except for a few times when we'd get to the little bit of spinach we'd plant before the deer got it. Salads don't always have to be lettuce based either. Look for veggie based salads such as Nicoise (green beans, potatoes, eggs, tuna or salmon, olives) or a tomato-cucumber one since your son will eat both of those items. Make a pasta salad loaded with chopped up veggies. Yes, they may pick out the broccoli or the bell pepper but they might also eat them too and discover that they like it with the dressing you use.

Rule of thumb when trying a new veggie is to try eating it at least two different ways before you dismiss it entirely. For example the first time I tried kale was as a kale chip and I was not impressed but the next time I chopped it up, tossed with a simple lemon vinegarette, chopped shallot, lots of fresh ground pepper and feta cheese and that is my favorite quick go to salad.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What I find shocking is that you consider the food that you eat at home not healthy for you, and wonder how often you should be eatign it, but you are ok with your own child living on this diet??? This makes no sense. Either you believe your household lives on a balanced and healthy diet (by your standards) so you can eat the same food, or you think the current diet is not ok, so your child at least deserves a change ASAP. If eating choices caused health issues for you at 24, the same eating choices cannot be healthy for your child. Even if a crappy diet makes him happy and stops whining.

Honestly, as a mother of 3 myself, I think it is about changing your attitude. I cook for 5. We do not have the same tastes. If I had to come up with balanced and affordable meals and expect everyone to be happy everyday, I would have gone crazy a long time ago. You make a weekly meal plan, that you consider acceptable (healthwise and within budget). You involve your kid by offering simple choices, like "we are having soup tomorrow, do you want pea soup or bean soup?" or "do you want lettuce or tomato with your burger" and by going shopping together, where he can choose between acceptable alternatives (if you go shopping for fruit, he has to choose a fruit, not candy instead). Then you cook and serve the meal and stop debating about it. No alternative meals, no take away when the meal is not to the kid's taste, no snacks to replace meals, no arguing because the food is not everyone's favourite meal. There is more to health than weight.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...try grating your vegetables and mixing with your ground meat. I often mix spinach or shredded zucchini with my ground turkey and make burgers.

Roasting vegetables gives them a totally different taste. Drizzle some olive oil...and little seasoning and just pop in the oven. I fill a sheet pan full of different vegetables...carrots, potatoes, peppers, onions, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli...last night I tried roasted fennel. You can do a lot and them have them for a few days.

Who knows...perhaps your fiance and son will try them...and like them.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was a picky eater. Some would say I still am, but I have improved vastly. Honestly, the thing that helped the most with improving it was cooking things myself from scratch. And challenging myself to try new things at least 5 times before dismissing them. Some things I will never like (ie, prawns - bleugh), but I now eat loads of chicken, beef, bacon, tomatoes, peppers, curries etc (yep, all things I 'didn't like' before). The more I have tried the easier it has become to try something else, as the anxiety I used to felt is just melting away. Stick at it, and you'll get there.

Start with simple things, like omelettes and a side salad, or a jacket potato with a healthy filling (and a side salad). Have you tried all varieties of lettuce and salad leaves? They vary a lot in flavour and texture so you might be able to find one you like.

As for finding recipes, try this: http://www.supercook.com/#/recipes/All%20recipes You can enter the ingredients you have (in your case, that you know everyone will like) and will give you a list of recipes that you make with those ingredients.

Hope that helps :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Seriously, this. Grow up. Find some vegetables you like. Eat smaller portions. Suck it up and learn how to cook.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Are burgers extremely unhealthy? Is there anyway to make it healthier? What other foods do you enjoy cooked on the grill? How do you make it through the grilling season?

Eating burgers and sandwiches is not a problem, as long as your nutritional needs are being met in terms of fiber, iron, vitamins, minerals, etc. Your high cholesterol is a bit of a red flag, if it's not genetic. Try switching to whole grain bread/rolls as a start. Note- not whole wheat, whole grain. Try more variety in vegetables. So you like beans, you may like lentils, chickpeas, and other legumes.
  • vilepixie
    vilepixie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My fiance and son are both picky eaters too, however, I try to involve them and find a compromise where possible. For example, my fiance likes to grill too so i'll have him grill up some chicken breast or fish with some fresh veggies. I'll make homemade burger patties and have tomato and lettuce available for the fixings (make more than usual so you can freeze the patties) He hates black beans but doesn't mind other beans, I like all beans, so unless i'm cooking for myself, I will sub another bean in a recipe. My son is 8, and he is not fond of salad but will eat it with a little ranch and a few croutons on top. I have a ranch yogurt dressing, which tastes great and is better than regular. He is easily influenced and most of the time he will like/dislike things based on who he is around. His grandma loves zucchini, so he will eat zucchini. He was obsessed with the movie Holes and wanted to eat onions, if my fiance or I rave about how great something tastes he jumps at the chance to try. You shouldn't have to fix separate meals for everyone. Cook things different ways. Roast some veggies, get a spiralizer and make zoodles, make a homemade veggie pizza and have your son make his own little pizza with your ingredients, if you want a burger try a portabella burger or add some grated carrot/zucchini to a homemade patty. There is life beyond burgers and sandwiches.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

I think you're over-complicating this.

1. It's possible to lose weight eating any food. So questions like "can I have bread / how often / can I grill / are hamburgers terrible / etc" are a waste of time and energy. All foods are fine, it's fine. Should you eat a burger every 5 minutes? No. Should you eat consistently over the calorie target you set up on MFP? No. Otherwise, eat, enjoy life, try to pick foods you like, that are filling and keep you feeling good. As you go on, if you want to, start paying more attention to the nutrition info -- ex, take notice if you seem to be low on protein over time. This is not a thing you'd know right now, though, and it's not a thing you MUST pay attention to to succeed. (The vast majority of people do not track their food, they just eat, just because you've started tracking doesn't mean you have to try to perfect your eating based on ever-changing and often contradictory advice on what's "healthy".)

*Cholesterol issues aside. That may take special management, which I don't know enough about. But you can substitute foods for yourself easily enough. (See some of my tips below.)

2. Your fiance can **** well be supportive. That is one of the roles of a fiance. Do not order or nag him to not bring home "bad" foods (foods aren't bad or good) but just ask for some support so you can balance things more easily. BALANCE.

3. You sound like you like several vegetables, so I don't see the issue? Just rotate them...

4. Everyone liking different things is a really easy thing to get around, imo. Everyone likes burgers, yeah? Grill the burgers. Make a few different sides available -- the guys can toss up a salad, and you can throw a corn cob on the grill. That takes absolutely no extra effort! Your kid likes tomatoes, so have some cut tomatoes available in a tupperware to pull out, so he can top up his burger with veggies. You can choose whether or not to have the bun, based on whether it fits into your calories that day -- no one is forcing you to have the bun, a burger patty with a little tzatziki or something, and a corn on the cob, would be a nice meal. If people like different veggies, put different veggies on the grill... it's not like you're having to make 5 different lasagnas, it's like cutting up some broccoli and some cauliflower instead of just all extra broccoli. You can even put them in separate foil if people are of the "but your food touched my food" variety. Besides which, you can actually grill up more than one kind of meat, if you are say, trying to cut back on your red meat, so they can still have it most days, and you can have it SOME days, and just grill up a chicken breast or something on other days. Takes more planning at first to figure out and get used to buying, it's not as simple as "I'll grab a pizza", but it does not really add time in terms of cooking, ime.

5. It sounds to me like you are making your own breakfasts and lunches, yes? Less dependent on what others like/are eating? So plan ahead. Save some extra calories for that evening meal with the family, make your breakfasts and lunches lighter. One way might be to try to avoid bread at one or both of those meals, then you might be able to fit in the bread later, but there are lots of ways to trim calories.

6. Control your own portions. Cut your steak in half and eat across two days. Have fewer slices of pizza. Have the burger/sausage with no bun, or on a piece of toast. Fit in mayo/tzatziki/something, or skip, or use a low cal condiment. Skip the cheese. Make a higher % of your meal veggies. Cut calories from liquids (soda, juice, etc). Have days when you eat how you best like, as a treat. (So it's not "I can never have a burger on a bun again!!!" Just you know, maybe not every time.)

I grew up in a "one meal" household where I was a picky eater and so, I realized eventually, was my mom. My dad cooked "one meal" for everyone but I mean, I always had the flexibility. Salad was a bowl of lettuce, toppings done up but left on the cutting board (so we could use what we liked) and a few different dressings available in the fridge. Voila! Custom salads. He'd often prep a couple of veggies, maybe peas and beans (no tougher than prepping one), and if there were leftovers, all the better for the next day. Food was in the house -- don't like the veggies of the day, well, I could go get some pickles from the fridge or have fruit or a little more of one of the other things, or a slice of bread. It's not like my dad had to make a side for each of us, but yet we still were not forced to choke down foods we legitimately had trouble eating, and we still ate, and together, and well, so it can be done easily. My partner and I are not the same person, we eat different things sometimes, this is just common, and completely doable.

As I said, I think you're over-complicating it with these ideas, like that maybe bread is not okay, or maybe grilling everyday is not okay, or how would you ever lose weight eating pizza (even though people do), or that you're picky so it must be difficult, or that different people are different (shocker) so it must be a huge obstacle. It's just a perception that everyone must eat the same and the guys eat this way and so you must also, and you're stuck. Think of it like a challenge, or a creative problem, that will almost certainly lead to great things actually -- new foods, new meals, new ideas, broadened horizons, and lots of your usual favourites. Ask your fiance for support, you guys can brainstorm up awesome meals together. He can bring home *extra* food rather than substitute food he's not excited about. Try pre-logging some days to see what your ideas would look like in terms of calories. You can also create meals -- log a bunch of foods you'd eat together (eg. burger patty, bun, mayo, corn, butter) and use Quick Tools to create a meal, which saves it as a group. You can totally do this!

(Seconding the recommendations to set a small goal -- 0.5 lb to 1 lb a week, and to weigh all your foods. It will be really helpful not only for your progress, but for helping you fit in the foods you love. If you can weigh them, you'll *know* you have room for the steak or whatever, whereas if you're guessing, and trying to over-estimate, you might think you don't. Or think you do when you don't, and make no/slow progress.)