C25K

Options
So, c25k what are your thoughts on it? Has anyone had good results doing the program? Any dramatic results? Now I know its different for everyone, but I want to read everyones accomplishments. I love reading success stories. So please feel free to share yours. :)

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I need to start week four, but I have found a running group in my area and the leader is helping us build to a 5k. I find that I push myself more within the group than I do by myself using the app. When it is gross outside, I will use the app while on the treadmill and make progress towards my running a 5k goal. Also, there are times when I finished a c25k workout and felt that it was super hard and I repeated it the next time to help improve my conditioning.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing a C25K program. Zombies,Run!5k to be exact. The most recent improvement I've had is being able to run for 5 mins straight. Today in fact I was able to do the 5 min runs 3 times throughout my workout. It's a first for me, since I started. It's been a really long time since I was able to run for 5 mins straight.

I did do a little bit of math today. I counted the laps I was making during my runs so I could try and come up with an estimate of how fast I was going. Well when I did the math, the times I was running, I was moving at approximately 6 - 6.6 mph. I bet if I slowed down my running pace a bit, I might actually be able to run for more than 5 mins straight. I'm about to start week 6 and there is a 12 min run thrown in. I'm a little scared, but at the same time can't wait to see how I do. If it turns out horrible, then I might just repeat week 5 or try to run a bit slower.
  • charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I also did the zombies,run! 5K training version and I had great success with it. The story kept me motivated and interested and I can proudly say that now I can run 5k :) my mum is now using the app and can run more than she ever could and is very happy with it too.

Lots of people have success with these programs so they're definately worth giving a go.
  • fitfairy91
    fitfairy91 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I may have to try Zombies,Run!5k. Sounds interesting. I have always been a secret wanna be runner, but I always hated running if that makes sense lol. I think its because I'm a bit over weight. Have been for most of my life. But I will give the Zombies,Run!5k a shot. Thanks y'all :)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in October... I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time when I've started. Now, 6 miles is a "short" run. I ran a half-marathon in March. If you're looking for something to turn you into a runner, stick with c25k... You won't regret it.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    fitfairy91 wrote: »
    I may have to try Zombies,Run!5k. Sounds interesting. I have always been a secret wanna be runner, but I always hated running if that makes sense lol. I think its because I'm a bit over weight. Have been for most of my life. But I will give the Zombies,Run!5k a shot. Thanks y'all :)

I was a runner when I was kid, but after high school I wasn't running unless I was being chased! I want to be a runner again and for years thought I couldn't do it because I am overweight. I weigh 240 now and I am running, albeit very slowly! Please don't let your weight hold you back from accomplishing this goal. Best advice I can give you is to have good shoes, go slow and don't worry if you are getting lapped by walkers (I usually am), and walk when you need to. You will soon be posting your success story about becoming a runner!

You can add me if you want to. Good luck and enjoy the running!
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Starting week 6 tomorrow. I absolutely love it and am amazed every single time at how much I'm improving.
  • fitfairy91
    Options
    debubbie wrote: »

I was a runner when I was kid, but after high school I wasn't running unless I was being chased! I want to be a runner again and for years thought I couldn't do it because I am overweight. I weigh 240 now and I am running, albeit very slowly! Please don't let your weight hold you back from accomplishing this goal. Best advice I can give you is to have good shoes, go slow and don't worry if you are getting lapped by walkers (I usually am), and walk when you need to. You will soon be posting your success story about becoming a runner!

You can add me if you want to. Good luck and enjoy the running!

Yea that's the worst part trying to get over the obstacle of thinking my weight is holding me back. But like you said start out slow and walk when need I to might help me a lot. I one of those people that go all out then after 2-3 days I'm done. Thank you for the advice. Most definitely adding you :) Getting good shoes was my first step so far lol. Also not comfortable YET with running in public so I will just have to start with the treadmill down in my basement.
  • fitfairy91
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I started C25K in October... I couldn't run more than 30 seconds at a time when I've started. Now, 6 miles is a "short" run. I ran a half-marathon in March. If you're looking for something to turn you into a runner, stick with c25k... You won't regret it.

Yea I can't seem to run more than 30 sec right now but I willing to push myself slowly and work up to where I want to be. I just got to remember everything is not going to change over night.

• liz4440
    liz4440 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As a love/ hater of running.. I think the best thing with the C25k program is that you can see how you progress and that gives you more motivation to run better/ harder the next time. I know for me, if i have taken a few weeks off it is always hard to me to get back into running and I am never at the same level I was, this is discouraging, but seeing myself progress, get faster, father, its like the best feeling in the world to me, which is why I always come back to running. No other exercise does that for me.
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 295 lbs with no running ability to speak of. I did the time intervals for the program (instead of the distance intervals) because a) I was super slow, and b) I wasn't on a treadmill or at a track and figuring out the distances was a pain otherwise.

Over the course of the 8 weeks I successfully completed each workout, and never had to repeat weeks/workouts. At the end of the 8 weeks I went from struggling through those 10x 60sec intervals of jogging to a full 30 minute run for 2.3-2.5 miles (12 min/mile+).

I finished the 8 week program roughly 7 and a half months ago now, and in that time I have continued running and gradually worked on distance and speed, but I wasn't training for any particular race or goal other than weight loss. I'm proud to say that I'm currently running 3x a week in conjunction with heavy lifting and am averaging 15 miles per week at an 8min/mile pace at 192lbs. Occassionally, when I'm feeling particularly energized I'll stretch one of the runs to be particularly long, just last week I did an 11.5 mile run. I felt like death afterwards, but thinking back to where I was 8 months ago I'm just amazed and in awe. I'd never thought I could do such a thing.

I now recommend C25K to everyone I know who is looking to get into running or work on losing weight.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So, c25k what are your thoughts on it? Has anyone had good results doing the program? Any dramatic results? Now I know its different for everyone, but I want to read everyones accomplishments. I love reading success stories. So please feel free to share yours. :)

I used it two years ago. Lost four stone, reduced my bodyfat percentage by a third and I'm five weeks away from another trail half marathon now.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

wow this an amazing success story. Way to go!!!

I am on my third run of C25K (over many years) I love it. I use the ZenLabs app. There's also a C25K group here if you want tailored support.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K in December of 2010, at 38 years old having never been a runner and the last time I ran was a college phys ed class. By October of 2011, I was running a 5k in under 25 minutes and a 10k in 53 and change.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Yep - C25K was my intro to running in 2012. Now I run 3 times a week for fun or if training (2 half marathons down, one scheduled for Oct 2015) 3 short (5ks) and an increasingly long run (up to 18k) at weekends. Do it - get the bug!
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used C25K over a year ago, ran a half last September and this year I'm training for a full. A LOT of runners start with c25k.

Good Luck!
  • m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ha! I never - NEVER - used to run. I never did any sports in high school, never even cared about athletics. Then I started to notice I was gaining weight and decided it was time to start doing something active. I tried running, but it was awful. I could barely go more than 60 seconds without feeling like I was going to die. Tried C25K, now I'm regularly doing about 2 miles. Not a HUGE achievement, but definitely more than I ever thought I could do.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    im on week 4 on c25k, and have definitely seen a huge improvement already :) give it a try!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i can't speak highly enough of C25K, it's perfect

i hadn't exercised for about 10 years but as soon as i started C25K i fell in love with running, it wasn't easy at times but i'm so happy a did it, the joy of completing a run you didn't think you'd be able to do is incredible

the feeling when your first do a full 20 minute run will stay with me for a long time

i'm still running now and loving it just as much and i've found having an exercise goal is so much more rewarding that keeping your eye on the scale, it's a real tangible goal you can see you the results so for me that keeps me motivated with my diet and exercise
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I did C25K 3 years ago and ran my first 5K within 10 weeks. I had never run a full mile before that. Since then I have run numerous 5Ks, numerous 10Ks, a 15K, 3 HMs, 1 Full Marathon, and I'm currently training for my first ultra. When I started running I lost very little weight until I started counting calories, then I lost 50 lbs in 6 months. My weight fluctuates by 15-20 lbs in the off season, but I'm working on stopping that trend (as I get older it gets harder every year to take that weight back off).

If you are serious about doing it - sign up for a race now. Give yourself a goal and a deadline to reach it. When you run your first race set several goals: at least 2 easy goals and 1 tougher goal. Mine are always the same Finish the Race, Finish within a specific time (I always estimate :30 seconds slower pace than my fastest training run, so that I am fairly certain I will make my time cutoff), and Pass X number of people on the course (depends on the race).

Keep your eyes on the prize and keep working. Run hard, have fun, don't beat yourself up on tough days (everybody has *kitten* running days), celebrate your good days. I also try not to be too competitive about running and/or racing. I like to keep it fun, my attitude is that if you can run 5K you are doing something that only an estimated 5-10% of the population can do, so enjoy that.