Alcohol... Ughh

Options
Drinking wine on the weekends is hurting my workout. I'm healthy and workout Monday - Thursday but the. Friday and Saturday I drink which I'm sure is a reason why I'm not seeing the results I want. Do I have to quit drinking all together? Or is there a less fattening way to keep my drinking. I promise I'm not an alcoholic I just enjoy the taste and the way it helps me chill on the weekends lol

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what results you are looking for. You can be fit and lose weight while drinking wine regularly.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I too am a wine lover, and the calories really do add up fast. I will hit the cardio a little harder on the weekends to make up some of the calories if I know I am going to have more than one glass (which is usually always :)) Or you can try Vodka shots, or Vodka in a low calorie mixer like Crystal Light? I love Vodka in the Strawberry, Orange Crystal light.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    The wine probably isn't the problem. Usually it's what you eat once you're a little tipsy that hinders progress. A bottle of wine is usually about 600 or so calories. So you have to have a lot. However, those chili cheese fries that sound amazing after a few glasses are what will kill you.

I maintain and have lost just fine while drinking. When maintaining or cutting, I simply bank calories toward the weekend. If I need to cut, I aim for 1700 calories M-Th and then let Friday/Saturday fall where they will. Sunday tends to be a maintenance day, but if I'm good, I'll aim for my weekday amount that day as well.

FWIW, my maintenance calories are usually 2100-2300/day, depending on how hard I'm working out. I'm 39, 5'5" and 130 lb with 16% BF per my last BodPod. Adjust your numbers accordingly.
  • Kluppie22
    Kluppie22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ahh I thought I was the only one! Haha. I do great all week and then my friends and boyfriend want to go out on Friday and Saturday night (I do too!) I feel like I sabatoge my diet but at the same time it is part of my lifestyle. I did have success 3 years ago with drinking and losing weight. I lost over 30 pounds and I still went out 2-3 days a week. I know that drinking vodka sodas with lemon or lime is a good alternative. However, these days I love my wine more. I feel you on the struggle though! Im going to add you as a friend. It's good to have people with similar lifestyles to help stay motivated and on track :)
    Katie
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    A couple of glasses on the weekend won't hinder your weight loss unless they look like this...363krocgh8bp.jpg

Just remember to not over eat/indulge on the other crappy food that typically comes with alcohol. Also remember the next day to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get wasted every time you drink. Just have a couple of drinks, drink water in between and make sure you are logging them honestly.
  • KellieStanley131
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the great advice :-). I know I definitely eat more when I'm drinking so I will try to slow down on that. Also, I might switch to vodka and drink less. My main spot on my body I'm trying to improve is my lower abdominal area. I had surgery 2 years ago. My stomach used to be flat but since the surgery I've always had a little pooch and I've been struggling to get rid of it. I'm hoping it's something hard work and discipline can fix and not something that I'll "just have to deal with" forever
  • ClaudiaMessenger
    ClaudiaMessenger Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I also like a glass of two or wine and I used to look forward to some drinks every weekend.

I chose for my diet I'd be better off only drinking every 2 weeks but now I'm in the right frame of mind I'm only drinking on special occassions because transforming into the person I want to me is more important to me.

Plus my issue is once I have a few drinks I want to eat badly and the next day I don't feel fresh enough to exercise!

My motivation is that I know I won't be dieting as long if I'm stricter now and get into good habits so when I'm maintaining my weight I can enjoy drinks more often so long as I eat properly the majority of the time :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    It's not very healthy and I don't recommend this, but if you are going to drink, then you have to count alcohol calories like food calories and either build them into your day (less food), or exercise a deficit to create those calories into your budget. If you drink 1000 cals in a day (couple of bottles of wine) either burn it off before drinking, or what you eat that day will have to be limited (make clever food choices etc).
  • Msbennett709
    Msbennett709 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vodka mixed with Pink Lemonade Crystal ligh is a nice drink.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the great advice :-). I know I definitely eat more when I'm drinking so I will try to slow down on that. Also, I might switch to vodka and drink less. My main spot on my body I'm trying to improve is my lower abdominal area. I had surgery 2 years ago. My stomach used to be flat but since the surgery I've always had a little pooch and I've been struggling to get rid of it. I'm hoping it's something hard work and discipline can fix and not something that I'll "just have to deal with" forever

Obviously everyone is different, but switching to spirits etc for weight loss might be a better option in terms of calories, but drinking spirits can become a very slippery slope for some people as they can be consumed quite quickly and are very strong alcohol content in comparison to wine (per bottle). Just a thought.
  • mrsmcg97
    mrsmcg97 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    1/2 shot vodka with cranberry raspberry mio yummy my new fav and Ive been a huge wine drinker
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Can you fit in an extra workout on the weekends? I still enjoy my wine during the week (and maybe some vodka on the weekends ;) ). I always use low-cal mixers like Crystal Light with vodka (plus that's a lot of extra water!). However, as mentioned I also find my willpower does tend to slip a bit when I drink, so I'm trying to cut down some. And working out weeknights, I don't have anything to drink on those nights (usually lol) so that's even better.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I do vodka and seltzer when Im at the bar. its pretty gross, and makes me drink less...and slower. Now that its summer and the suns out though? Yhea... beer and burgers and pizza sound more and more amazing....