How my weight loss journey landed me in the hospital and how I'm gaining weight

Options
Reflextion
Reflextion Posts: 9 Member
I've been in the hospital for over a week now and put on a refeed program of 4,000+ calories per day. Originally I came into the hospital because I had developed bradycardia (low heart rate) from weight loss and malnutrition. The solution for my low heart rate was to get the nutrients my heart and body desperately needed.

Stats when I was admitted to the hospital: Male/18/6'1/149 lbs

Not sure how much I weigh now since I'm considered an eating disorder patients and they don't allow me to see my weight but I'm guessing i've gained 5+ pounds in a little over a week. The one problem is that I'm completely bed ridden so I'm guessing all of this weight is pure fat which is quite discouraging. Feel free to ask me anything about the program I'm on.

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with your recovery. Please be kind to yourself. :)
  • karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite of you man. I am obsessed with gaining weight. It's a short man complex I developed.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Reflextion wrote: »
    I've been in the hospital for over a week now and put on a refeed program of 4,000+ calories per day. Originally I came into the hospital because I had developed bradycardia (low heart rate) from weight loss and malnutrition. The solution for my low heart rate was to get the nutrients my heart and body desperately needed.

Stats when I was admitted to the hospital: Male/18/6'1/149 lbs

Not sure how much I weigh now since I'm considered an eating disorder patients and they don't allow me to see my weight but I'm guessing i've gained 5+ pounds in a little over a week. The one problem is that I'm completely bed ridden so I'm guessing all of this weight is pure fat which is quite discouraging. Feel free to ask me anything about the program I'm on.

Thank you for sharing your story.
    At this point there are going to be a lot of things that are very important to you that are causing the weight gain.
    Here's the list, I hope it makes you feel good about how you're treating your body!

Increased blood volume
    Calcium in bones and teeth.
    Increased food accumulation in system.
    Tag along water in the increased food.
    Glycogen in your liver and muscles.
    Increased water in your muscles, organs and skin.

Then, after that, considering your basal metabolic rate is 2000 cals plus just to lie in bed, you will be needing 3500 to gain an extra pound of fat, which truth be told, isn't going to happen until all the repair work is done, and you would barely notice on your low weight body.Don't panic. Get well, repair your brain chemistry with all that lovely nutrition, and when you get the all clear, come back and learn how to gain muscle. You'll be in the perfect place for it.

You can have a great relationship with food this way, building good things in your body instead of breaking them down.
  • Reflextion
    Reflextion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement springfield1970. I know gaining this weight is good for me but it's weird how i've worked so hard to get a flat stomach and now when I look down all I see is what I looked like when I was 200 pounds.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you in your recovery. Stay strong.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If your heart is in danger due to your malnutrition, it means you've been burning muscle to excess, as your heart is a muscle. So don't think you'll be gaining lots of fat, your body will need to rebuild your muscle mass. Just do as you're told to regain your health. I hope everything works out for you.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Please be safe, and think about what is best for your body. My best friend went through the same thing, and created major health problems for her because of it. You can be healthy and in shape, but you need to learn the right way to do it . Hopefully this program will help you find the right way to do that. Thinking about you! you got this!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Gaining the weight will be good for you, try not to worry about the amount you've put on and think about it as giving your body the things it needs to be healthy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Best of luck and don't worry much of the gain isn't fat. As Springfield mentions you gain a lot of other things and you should also put on some muscle as well.