im 22 and need to lose over 100lbs

Options
I have had weight issues all of my life but its really gotten to the point now where im worried i wont see my son graduate if i dont change.(hes 1 atm) ive tried so many times to lose the weight and so many times ive failed and honestly its mostly because self motivation is not something im good at. So if you are/were in the same boat some tips that helped you would be awesome to hear. I can stick to a diet and exercise program for a while but i have a hard time.getting over my "i cant" wall and when i get to that point i quit. I can afford to quit this time.

Replies

• usernameenvy
    usernameenvy Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You need to remember why youre doing this, why you cant afford to give in. Make a collage, put on your fridge or wall, write yourself a letter, do anything that you can to refer back to and change your mind when you decide that you dont want to do it anymore.
    You can do this and you will, one day at a time. Forget restrictive diets, track your calories and macros, be lenient and forgiving but be strong.
    Ill add you :)
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Almost the same here. Im 21, turn 22 in a few months. Ive never weighed under 200lbs since like 5th grade. (Exception, once before I got pregnant with my son I hit 190-194 for all of a few weeks). Highest weight was 273lbs (recorded anyways). and I have a young toddler as well. For my goal I have around 70-90lbs to loose. One small piece of advice I can offer stop saying "I can't" and instead say "I'm going to"....

For example at the gym I would see that I had 10min of cardio left to do and I would say "I can't" and stop. When I began to say "I'm going to finish the last 10min" even if I had to take a 1 min breath or slow the pace....I would still finish.

Another huge thing; track what you eat. Every bite. It'll show you a lot and help keep you focused throughout the day.

Last thing I can offer off the top of my head is take photos, that's how most people see their progress. Pictures and cloths. For me I take photos every couple of weeks. I just started strength training mixed w/ cardio. So I hope those photos will start to show an improvement by next month.

You can do this! :smile:

Ps. Add me if you like. I keep my diary open, share recipes, small victories at the gym, and even disappointments. I feel like it allows me to vent and boast when I need to and it allows others to celebrate with you and lift you back up when you're down.

No one can do this for you, but we can be there for you and with you throughout the journey.
  • AliMcCurdy2015
    AliMcCurdy2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Ill def be collage, thats a great idea!!!
  • MackieDrew
    MackieDrew Posts: 6 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Add me, similar boat, I intend to lose 35kg (~75 lbs?). I'm a snoop and as long as you log your food everyday, I'll watch it. With me snooping maybe you will feel a little more pressure to eat healthy. I've lost 6kg in the last 27 days and I did it by restricting my calories based on my body fat %.

The theoretical upper limit to safe weight loss is the amount of energy you can pull out of fat in a day 69 kcal/kg of body fat. So if you weighed 100kg, and you had 30% bodyfat. You could safely lose 30kg * 69 kcal/kg per day = 2070 kcal. This means you can have up to a 2070 kcal deficit. If you are sedentary, this means that you could probably only have 100 kcal per day. Which is absurdly, unsafe and way too low. You need nutrients from the food that aren't kcalories, so you need to make it work. What I do:
    • Fitness tracker tells me how many calories I burn in a day. I try to make it so I can eat 1200 - 1500 kcal per day. This means burning about 1000 kcal per day in exercise.
    • Right now I have to maintain ~2100 kcal deficit to maximize weight loss.
    • Track body fat % and adjust by calorie intake per day, I keep my deficit within 10 kcal of my goal.
    • Add friends on MFP and Fitbit that help motivate me to keep checking, it I check MFP, I can't fall off the wagon.
    • Have at least 1g of protein/kg of lean body mass/day. This means about 74g of protein for my lean mass.
    • I make sure I climb 20 stair flights/day and run at least 1 mile/day, atleast 10k steps per day.

I have gained about 100g of lean mass in the last 27 days, that means I have blown away the traditional loss ratio of 65% fat loss: 35% lean mass loss. This seems like a lot yeah? It feels like a small part of my day, I work on it passively and developed this system during exam period. I promise it's not as extreme as it sounds. This is just what I do, my motivation comes from my pride in my formula. If I fall off the wagon, I wont be able to see if my projections work. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

EDIT: Forgot to mention my projection shows my weight loss should be complete on Sept 20th. Due to decreased body fat % my weight loss slows to 30 times slower as I go forward.
  • lmhallas
    lmhallas Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged. If you make a plan for each week, a routine, and stick to it then it's a lot easier to work out. Join a low key gym and set a time and day to go each week. I work out at a gym where there are mostly older people which is great because I don't feel any pressure to work out a certain way. Every one does their own thing and no one is looking or judging.

I also do an acqua zumba class once a week - also with older women. Taking a swim exercise class is lots of fun with good music and it's easier to work out in the water. The class is an hour and we use hand weights the whole time.

So - what I'm trying to say is find places to workout that aren't intimidating as well as something fun to keep you motivated. Look for programs at your local YMCA or classes that are offered in your area.

Feel free to add me if you need a motivational/work out buddy.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have two young ones and I was "trying" to lose weight but what I mean by that is working out and still eating crappy foods. My new doctor sent me for bloodwork and the results said that my triglycerides were a little high and she said she wants me to take in less fat. I looked at what I was eating and I was ashamed with myself. Right then I decided to stop what I was doing and really take a look at what I put into my body. The first week, I lost 5 pounds. I think that was mostly water weight, but still. I also do my best to think about how much happier I will be when I am healthier and a healthy weight.
  • kaitiedid3
    kaitiedid3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel you mama! I'm right where you are, I think for me finally finding a technique that worked was a lot of trial and error, but what worked for me was restricting one meal every week to only healthy low cal meals, until I was only eating good for me foods. I got rid of all the junk food in my house, and finally talked to my husband about my weight which really helped me put into perspective how embarrassed I was about what I've been doing to myself, and I don't want to feel like that anymore. I also stopped going out to eat, which has been tough sometimes but I've had great results so far :) and after about 2 weeks of no junk food I'm not even craving it anymore! Always lookin to get and give motivation so I'm adding you OP :)
  • dbanidi
    dbanidi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well all -the more accountability the better. Losing weight but I'm terrible at logging. Might try the "taking pics of what I eat" route as well as what I look like