side stitches

Options
Anyone have any pointers for running with side stiches. They have been happening to me lately during my run. Always on the same side! Feels like a muscle pull. :ohwell:
Bunny

Replies

• bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any pointers for running with side stiches. They have been happening to me lately during my run. Always on the same side! Feels like a muscle pull. :ohwell:
    Bunny
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    my track star friend told me that if I get a cramp, to focus on my breathing...when my opposite foot is hitting the ground. ie. cramp in right side, breath when the left foot is hitting the ground.

it's probably all mental, but it has worked for me!!

**and drink water :wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about side stitches too. I've read to "breathe through them" but it doesn't seem to help. Maybe I'm not breathing right? :laugh:
  • gsschulte
    gsschulte Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have only noticed them when I eat closer than 2 hours before I get on the treadmill. other than that I never run into it. Not sure if you have had the same experience.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    my track star friend told me that if I get a cramp, to focus on my breathing...when my opposite foot is hitting the ground. ie. cramp in right side, breath when the left foot is hitting the ground.

it's probably all mental, but it has worked for me!!

**and drink water :wink:

haha i've always tried that but i breathe slower than my feet re running at so it never matches up
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get them too, bunny.

I try lifting where the pain is because it helps alleviate the pain. (a little) :tongue:

For more...

http://www.makeithappen.com/wis/readings/sidest.html
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Here are two article on side stitches:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-290-291-432-0,00.html
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-384--246-0,00.html

I used to do this very deliberate breathing when I ran - inhale for two steps, exhale for two steps - and I would get side stitches a lot! It also happens to me when I try to talk to someone while running.

Since adopting "yoga breathing" and running solo, I haven't been getting side stitches even though I often eat and even drink soda within an hour of running. What I mean by "yoga breathing" is taking slow deep breaths (yes, even at an 8:20 mile pace). Pretend you're doing yoga and not moving at all.

Another reason why I don't get side stitches: if I need to pass gas during my run, I do. :tongue:
  • looovely_x3
    Options
    Run leaning to one side. When I used to get them I just ran faster, not that it helps.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Be sure you keep hydrated... dehydration is one cause of cramps.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get stitches in my side, I slow down, lift my arms over my head and breathe deeply. This usually makes the stitch go away (The mechanics of lifting your arms overhead opens up your chest so you can breathe more deeply). Works everytime.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I've heard side stitches come from a need for more oxygen. I usually slow down a little bit and breath through them, taking several deep, slow breaths (as deep and slow as I can while running) until the pain subsides. It seems to work every time.
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone,
    I have noticed that I tend to get them when I am trying to run faster than usual - like tempo runs; or when I am gabbing with a running partner. I have also upped my ab work so that may be part of it. I will look up the sites recommended :smile: Nice to be in such good company.
    Bunny