How to swap carbs with cauliflower!?

Options
khems04
khems04 Posts: 8 Member
I've hear alot about people swapping them and wondered if you guys have tried any successful recipes? I'd love to hear about them

Replies

• amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not really swapping carbs, but this is so darn good...
    Cauliflower Buffalo Bites
    6 to 7 cups fresh cauliflower florets
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour (or rice flour, if making vegan)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or vegan alternative), melted
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1/3 cup hot sauce (Frank’s Red, etc.)
    INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 450º F and lightly grease a baking sheet with non-stick spray.
    Combine flour, water, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together.
    Dredge cauliflower completely in flour batter and gently shake off excess. Then transfer to baking sheet.
    Place baking tray in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until batter sets. Flip florets over and cook for another 5.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together hot sauce and melted butter until smooth and combined.
    Remove cauliflower from oven and brush hot sauce over all the florets, until coated thoroughly.
    Return to oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until vegetables have absorbed sauce and are crispy enough to your liking.
    Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
  • khems04
    Options
    Ooooh sounds wonderful. I'll defiantly give this a try, thanks :)
  • khems04
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks for the link
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is a carb...
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Cauliflower is a carb...

lmao shes right! It is a carb. However, cauliflower is a great carb alternative to other foods that may be high in unnecessary carbohydrates (granola, chips etc). Plus youre also getting some veggies in by swapping it in place of other unsatisfying carbs! Try cauliflower mashed `potatoes`as a healthy side dish to replace unnecessary carbs from potatoes!
  • khems04
    Options
    I meant carbs such as bread, pasta etc. Just tried to keep the message as short as possible, most people get it but there's always one :)
  • khems04
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, ill give that a go
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is carbs with extra fiber. Two proven recipes,

Cauliflower tots.

Whole roasted cauliflower, eaten as a side. I made this last night again.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Cauliflower smash/mash which surprisingly tastes really good.. I don't know what the recipe is so you'll need to google it..
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've tried cauliflower pizza and I thought it was delicious (even my BF liked it). I don't remember which recipe I used, might have been this one: http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower 'rice' is okayish if you're really desperate to save calories. I wouldn't even try the pizza crust thingy, that's just sad IMO
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    My favourite cauliflower recipes:

Creamy Cauliflower “Alfredo” Sauce

http://www.scalingbackblog.com/savory-bites/day-30-creamy-roasted-cauliflower-pasta/

Started with this but didn’t bother with putting oil on the cauliflower before roasting, just a little salt & pepper. Roasted til brown. Instead of roasting onion & garlic I put them in a pot I sauteed in 1tsp of butter, when cauliflower was browned I added it to the pot and simmered for a few min til the cauliflower was really soft. I added a cup or so of chicken broth to this.

When it was all done I threw everything in the blender and really pureed this well to make it as smooth as possible. I had to put it back in the pot to warm up again and this is where I added the parmesan cheese. Top with a little more parm and maybe some chedder. Amazing! Texture is a little off from traditional alfredo but it tastes surprisingly close. (Imagine how healthy this would be on spaghetti squash lol)

(We’ve had really good luck with many recipes from this blog!)

Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup (a hit at my last office potluck!)

Started with this recipe http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/dads-creamy-cauliflower-soup-1-pt.html?m=1

But I did a few different things:

2 heads cauliflower - chopped
    2-3 red peppers
    1 TBSP butter
    1 TBSP flour (I used rice flour)
    1 red onion – chopped
    4/5 cloves of garlic – pressed
    4-5 cups chicken broth
    1 TBSP oregano
    Dash of cumin (I love cumin lol and put it in everything)
    Salt & pepper to taste

Chop the cauliflower, de-seed the red pepper and cut in half. Place on roasting pan and bake for 10-15 min (until brown) in oven (350).
    Sautee onion and garlic in butter in soup pot (I added a dash of celery seed too).
    Add flour to make a roux (I have done it without the flour and its the same lol) and then slowly add chicken broth (I started with about 4 cups).
    When cauliflower and red peppers are done roasting throw them in the pot, put lid on and let simmer until veggies are soft.
    Add spices. I found it needed a fair amount of salt but my chicken broth was pretty bland.
    When veggies are soft use a stick mixer to puree, add more chicken broth if you need to thin it out at all.
    Top with parmesan cheese. (It really needs salt and parmesan cheese to bring all the flavours out but if you have a higher sodium chicken broth than I did you may not… when we first tried it I thought it was gross til I added just a bit more salt and the parm. Then it was golden.)

Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
    I used this but add a little more soy and a little more garlic
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/cauliflower-fried-rice.html

I watched a video online that said the easiest way to make the “rice” is to put chopped cauliflower in a blender with a ton of water and mix. You have to drain it insanely well tho if you do this. My friend just uses a cheese grater lol.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVVEEE cauliflower mash/cauliflower rice/cauliflower "pizza" last night I even had cauliflower in quesadillas, it's probably my favorite vegetable to be honest.
    and I have a ton of recipes I post on my instagram if you'd like to check them out:

Mashed Cauliflower Recipe:
    1head of cauliflower (usually about 2.5 cups)
    1/4 cup heavy cream (or half water/half cream)
    1cup green onions
    2 strips of bacon
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup shredded cheese.

We use one head of cauliflower, boil it until its soft then drain and mash in a bowl until it resembles mashed potatoes, then we add 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1cup green onions, 2 strips of crumbled up bacon, maybe 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup shredded mixed cheeses and mix all together. Then line a pan with a mixture and top w/1cup of cheese with some green onions for decoration :) bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20min or until cheese melts :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Bleeeeech
  • sadrac4683
    sadrac4683 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Tabouli

Grate 1 head cauliflower into grain-size pieces with a box grater. Toss with 3 diced plum tomatoes, 2 bunches chopped parsley, 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce, 4 chopped scallions, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup chopped mint in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/microwave-garlic-mashed-cauliflower.html

This one taste similar to baked potato soup with the optional garnishes. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/12/cauliflower-leek-soup.html

I have also made fried rice with shredded cauliflower instead of rice. It was delicious.
  • clarke1277
    clarke1277 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started making a breakfast substitute for grits to eat with eggs. I just throw a whole steamed head in the food processor and chop it into small pieces add butter and salt and pepper to taste. I top this mix with a couple of sunny side eggs. The runny yokes cover the cauliflower taste and I get the texture of grits without the insulin spike.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Bleeeeech

That's helpful...

All of these sound great!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've tried cauliflower pizza and I thought it was delicious (even my BF liked it). I don't remember which recipe I used, might have been this one: http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

I was just thinking about trying out a cauliflower crust this am! Thank you for the link...will give it a go very soon!