Thoughts on my current workout?

Options
OK, I just introduced my self in the proper forum and am looking for some thoughts on my current workout. I use a Polar H7 HR Monitor. Here's how it lays out.

M-F AM Stretch - I do approximately 15 minutes of stretches and a 1 minute of crunches every day. I've found that it helps my lower back stay healthy.

M-W-F Weight Training - I've been lifting since I was 13, pretty consistently. My wife and I do a full body workout 3 times a week. I have a Powertec Leverage system and free weights. The workout consists of

3 Sets Each

Squats
Dips -
Military Press
Seated Rows
Hyperextensions
Incline Bench
Dumbell Curls
Dumbell Tri's
The workout takes approximately 40 minutes

T & Th Circuit Workout - More of a cardio workout. Approx 40 seconds for each exercise and 10-15 seconds between.

Jumping Jacks
Kettlebell/Pushups
Side Plank L
Mountain Climbers
Side Plank R
Hand Walks
Elbow Plank
Burpees
Superman
Jump Rope
Lunge Walks
Jumping Jacks

This workout takes approximately 30 minutes.

Most Lunches M-F I will do 15 minutes of Spinning intervals.

So basically, most days are a 3 workout split between the AM Stretch, Spinning Intervals, and Weights/Circuit

It seems to be working well. We both have good energy levels and strength and technique is coming back. The intensity of the workouts has been much greater than what we've been doing in the past 2 years. Hoping to keep this up until spring, and then probably cut back to 2 weight training days and 1 circuit. With golf, mountain biking, hiking and walking, the current workout will be too much physically and timewise.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Deadlift. Definitely deadlift.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Absolutely off the table. Lots of torn biceps from (mixed) grip dead lift, along with my occasional back issue.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Absolutely off the table. Lots of torn biceps from (mixed) grip dead lift, along with my occasional back issue.

Fair enough :)
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for 2 things to evaluate your work out. Compound exercises and equal amounts of push/pull exercises (meaning you aren't strengthening front and not back kinda thing), which I think this workout does pass.

I would suggest that you have 3 or 4 different variations of each exercise to ensure you are targeting everypart of the body. i.e. for seated row, you also rotate T-bar rows, wide grib rows, 1 arm DB rows, etc. Do them when you feel like, but don't do them 2x in a row.

And maybe consider changing the order of exercises in your curcuit training, to keep the body (and Mind) guessing.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Flat Bench Press
    Seated Rows
    Military Press
    Hyperextensions
    Dips
    Chin Ups

-Do your big lifts first
    -Incline Bench works shoulders more than pecs so switched it to Flat Bench
    -Chin Ups > Curls
    -Dips > Dumbbell Tris

I'd reconsider Deadlifts. Use double overhand or even straps if you have to. Can't believe you do hyper extensions but can't Deadlift?
  • ttbone67
    ttbone67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crazy enough, just added hypers and they are working well. Not like I used to do them n my 20's with a barbell on my shoulders. Unweighted and controlled right now. Wed is heavy day with a switch up of exercises, just didn't want to make a long post longer. Thanks for the feedback.
  • 70chevellegsp
    Options
    OK, so all of you telling me to do deadlifts and re-evaluating my recovery from a torn biceps tendon has changed my position. It's not absolutely off the table, and actually in my routine. I'm working light weights and good technique on the deadlifts and squats. My back and bicep(knock on wood) are feeling stronger, but there is some discomfort in my back. Discomfort is better than pain, so I'm looking at it as a win. I've also incorporated one day a week as a 'heavy day'. Everything seems to be working pretty well so far. Again, my back is feeling very good, my legs are getting stronger as well as my core. I've been doing a lot of reading about core and that a lot of people work their abs thinking that's all they need, and forgetting about the 'other side'. Well, after reading that, I've been a huge offender over the years. Not any more, and I'm seeing and feeling the benefits. Squats, hypers, deads, a bunch of planks, etc are really strengthening my back. Anyway, I started my program around 1/14/14, and have dropped 13# and 4% body fat. I've met my initial body weight goal, and now I'm working on dropping my body fat% under 20%. I've adjusted my Macro's and am getting a lot more protein in my diet, although I can't seem to hit the 1-1.5g per # of bodyweight. Thanks for all the input!
  • 70chevellegsp
    Options
    UPDATE: Discontinued deadlifts. :( A few weeks ago, I was doing dead lifts, and feeling strong. I guess I got a little out of form and something popped in my back. Felt like a cattle prod (electrical shock) in my lower back on the right side. I dropped the weight and fell back. Laid there for a few minutes to feel the damage and scared the crap out of my wife. Anyway, aside from an incredibly uncomfortable 4 hour drive the next morning (and again back the following morning) I've pretty much recovered. But....no more dead lifts. I don't know what's going on with my back, but as I continue my workouts, it feels better as long as I don't 'tweak' it.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My only comment is variety; I like lots of variety. And someone already mentioned push/pull--try to make sure they stay even. I don't even work them the same day like that. I may do all pushing one day and all pulling the next. Then the next week I may mix them together. The point being you need to change things up. Order, method, other slight variotions.
  • 70chevellegsp
    Options
    14 month update! On Feb 13, 2014 I weighted in at 200.5# (down 10 at the time) and 24.5% body fat. The workouts continued and have gotten more intense along with some changes and new exercises. I'm currently at 184.8# and 12.8% BF. I've been under 180#, but feel pretty comfortable right now.

Still doing full body workouts M-W-F, but they are all slightly different. Added some new exercises, such as, Reverse Hyperextensions, Face Pulls, Seated Rows, Close Grip Bench and split my workouts weekly between my Powertec Workbench and using dumbbells. I also picked up a trap/hex bar from Black Widow which is excellent. (Shrugs and Deadlifts)

I'm eating at maintenance + or - and hopefully be able to lose some more fat and gain muscle. Strength is increasing, so I feel I'm on the right track.

Also, I do the same 'Circuit' workout above on Tues, but added a new 'Circuit' on Thursday. It consists of:

Warm Up (30 sec each)
    Leg Swings Rt
    Leg Swings Lt
    Squat w/Toe Touch
    Knee up Rotations

3 Rounds (Round 1- 40 sec, 2 - 30 sec, 3 - 20 sec)
    Flutter Kick Squats
    High Knees
    Burpee
    Jumping Jacks
    Rest (30 Seconds)

In addition to the above, I stretch every morning for about 15 minutes. This includes some yoga poses to help with sciatica and my lower back. All has been good, (knock on wood). Walk 2 miles a day after our workouts and mountain bike/hike on the weekends.