Mom with Weight Loss Struggle

Options
Hi all! I lost 80 pounds 3 years ago for my wedding and was the happiest ever. After I had my son last year it's been a constant struggle to get back to that happy place physically. I have been counting my calories and eat anywhere from 1000-1300 calories a day. I'm running, doing push ups, and planking at least 3 times a week (sometimes 4-5 days, depending on my son). We do not have a gym membership due to cost and having a child makes it difficult to get to the gym with our work schedules.
I was trying Isagenix, but I'm not a fan of putting stuff in my body that is not real food. I'm eating hard boiled eggs, chicken, tuna, salad, yogurt, fruit (clementines, grapes, apples, etc.) veggies, and usually one treat (yasso bar or hershey kiss).
Any advice PLEASE share because I know I'm not alone in this struggle and I know others have persevered. :smiley:

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just a few things I see that are important to your weight loss. You should be eating more than 1300 cal per day given your activity. You need to find your BMR and TDEE and to get a good caloric goal for loss. 1000 is too little and you will probably lose a bit, but it won't last. Are you WEIGHING your foods. Eyeballing and using cups/spoons to measure are notoriously inaccurate and can lead to higher calorie intake. You don't need a gym to workout. Running is good for cardio, but try to include some weight training as well. Fitness Blender on youtube is a great resource and free! Don't buy into fads (like Isagenix). You will lose weight, but in your wallet. I hope this helps and if you need feel free to add for support! Its a constant struggle and most of us have been where you are!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    yeah, Im going to chime in with weighing your food. Eyeballing and using cup measurements for solid foods can mean the difference of 100 cals or more... I ran into quite a few shocks when I first started weighing my food with the difference between what I really thought was a serving, to what actually was a serving. And it made a *huge* difference in my journey.
  • amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would say to make time for this because it's important. I am a Mom too and have lost about 70 lbs and still need to lose more. My husband works a lot and my son plays a lot of sports, so it's not easy. I have become a Mom who shows up to every practice in work out clothes just in case I can get in a walk or a quick trip to the gym. You can walk, with or without your child, jump rope or find activities that make sense for you. But just keep at it. And remember, weight loss is mostly won in the kitchen with diet.
  • MuzikGrl386
    MuzikGrl386 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I definitely weigh my food. The first time around when I lost 80 lbs I realized real quick what AN ACTUAL serving size is compared to what I was taking in. In regards to TDEE, the calculator states that I should consumer 1692 calories daily. That is more than MyFitnessPal recommends (1300). Does that sound right?
    Thanks for the advice guys!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The calculator you are using likely is suggesting a moderate rate of loss, while you likely put in your MFP settings that youd like to lose 2lbs a week, which is an aggressive rate of loss. So yeah, comparatively speaking, that sounds right.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If the calculator is accounting for a 20% reduction in TDEE then use that caloric goal. If you have told MFP you want to lose 2 lbs a week then that is why you have the 1300 cal goal. They are also accounting for that you will add in your exercise calories and eat those back.
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think all my technical advice has already been covered by the previous posters. I will say from my own experience, my body changed after giving birth and it took a while for it to respond to my normal exercise/diet routines in the same it did before having my kids. For my own sanity, I had to change from thinking of a target weight to a target lifestyle - certain amount of exercise, trying for healthier food choices, balancing the calorie in to calorie out equation. Once I started focusing on the process and not the result, my outlook improved and then soon enough the weigh followed.