Best exercises to tone arms?...

Options
LADIES;;;; =) What exercises do YOU use for toning for arms? I am in need of some new exercises as my arms seem flabby and i HATE it, =) thanks

Replies

• Blr31977
    Blr31977 Posts: 49
    Options
    Me too... bump
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Easiest and cheapest...push ups.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Anxious to hear the responses on this one, too! I do a few push-ups and I wear weighted gloves when I run, but I need some more ideas, too!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Shakeweight!!! And I run with a 2lb weight in each hand....
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Bump...batwings ......ahhhh!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    nothing really to add but want to watch this thread, as it is a problem area.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    the p90x series has done WONDERS for my arms and that annoying boob fat or whatever it is when you put your arms by your sides and theres that bit of skin...cardio also helps with overall body fat and toning flab from everywhere.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You're gonna have to lift weights.
    Reducing overall bodyfat is gonna do wonders for toning.
    But to look good, you have to build a little muscle.

dips are great for triceps.
    hammer curls are good for forearms.
    and any curl is gonna work your biceps.
  • jennkess
    jennkess Posts: 86
    Options
    planks seem to be working for me. rather than just stay in the plank position alternate from plank to modified plank (on elbows & forearms) position, trying to keep you body as level as possible. at first you will wiggle alot going up and down however as you concentrate on engaging your core you will wiggle less..... working not only you arms and shoulders but your core muscles as well. try to work up to a minute of steady plank /push-up

you will feel and see the results - Good Luck!

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/routines/individual-exercises/plank-push-up
  • sdarling2503
    Options
    Tricep dips are good. I do mine holding onto the bath tub! Tricep extensions with weights get the muscles going to.!
  • rmlandrum
    rmlandrum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel like all the flab in my arm is at the back over my triceps. A good exercise for this area is to lift your arm straight over your head, then bend the elbow to a 90 degree angle and raise it back up. I do this with one 10 pound weight in both hands. Do a few sets of 15 of these and you will start to really feel it in in your triceps! You can use any type of weight, my highschool volleyball coach made us do these with old milk jugs filled with water. It's a great way to get rid of those bye-bye-arms!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    LADIES;;;; =) What exercises do YOU use for toning for arms? I am in need of some new exercises as my arms seem flabby and i HATE it, =) thanks

Flab is fat. You can't "tone" fat. Cardio Cardio Cardio. Then once the flab is gone then do some circuit training with body weight to start.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    Dumbell Push-Press
    Bicep Curls
    Alternate Dumb Bell Curl
    Hammer Curls
    Tricep Dips
    Lateral Raises
    Tricep Extensions
    Kick Back
    Close Grip Bench Press

Jtuner77: Its not always a case of fat. "Flab" also occurs after you've lost weight. The skin does not instantly snap back into place, It takes time to get toned even after the weight is lost.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Flab is fat. You can't "tone" fat. Cardio Cardio Cardio. Then once the flab is gone then do some circuit training with body weight to start.

agreed here.
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a trainer at the Y who has us use weights, anything from 3-12 lbs, depending on what is comfortable for you. I started with 3's and now use 12's. Lift the weights straight up over head and bend your arms down (toward your shoulders) at the elbow and hold a few seconds, do 15 reps on each arm. another one is to have your arm out to the side, angled up and bend the weight toward your shoulder. Or you can use one weight, hold with both hands on the ends, lift staight up over head, and bend your arms at the elbow, down toward your shoulders. We do 15 reps each time. These have really helped tone my big fat flabby arms! but I still have a long way to go. Good luck with your fitness journey!
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Definitely push ups as already suggested and I walk/run with 2 pound weights in my hands... I lift on the weight machines... looking much better so far!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Arms & back exercises
    (I do these once a week - used to do them 3 times, but have different workouts now)
    Start with about 8-15 of each - do circuit twice if you can - actually doesn't take too long.
    Use with 3 lb weights.
    These exercises WILL tone up your muscles - definately worked for me - I do cardio as well...
    go to www.fitnessmagazine.com for better explanations & illustrations

Dumbbell Shoulder Shrug – upper back

• Stand with your feet hip-width apart, arms at sides with your knees slightly bent.
    • Hold a 5-pound dumbbell in each hand with palms facing in.
    • Keeping abs tight, slowly shrug your shoulders up toward your ears, keeping elbows straight. Hold for 3 counts and lower.
    • Repeat for 8 to 10 reps.

The Aerobox – shoulders

• Stand holding a 1- to 2-pound weight in each hand.
    • Bring fists in front of face, palms facing each other.
    • Step left foot 6 inches forward and right foot 6 inches back.
    • Punch with left fist, then right. Start slowly, speeding up until you're going as fast as you can.
    • Repeat for 60 seconds.
    • Switch feet and repeat

Wrist Rotation – shoulders, lower arms

• Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and a 1- to 2-pound dumbbell in each hand, arms extended in front of you at shoulder height, palms down.
    • Quickly rotate your wrists inward as far as possible, then outward.
    • Continue alternating for 60 seconds.

Weighted Punch – shoulders, biceps

• Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a 1- to 2-pound weight in each hand, fists in front of your face, palms facing each other.
    • Without moving your left fist, punch your right fist up as high as possible without locking your elbow.
    • Quickly pull right fist back to starting position as you simultaneously punch your left fist upward.
    • Continue alternating for 60 seconds; start slowly and gradually increase speed until you're moving as fast as you can.

Dumbell Curls – biceps
    • Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold a 5-pound dumbbell in each hand in front of your hips, palms facing out.
    • To begin, bend your left arm 90 degrees so your left arm is parallel to the floor.
    • Curl your right hand toward your shoulder. Then lower it back down to the start position while keeping your left arm in place.
    • Do 8 curls with your right arm, keeping both elbows close to your ribs.
    • Switch sides, doing 8 curls with your left arm.
    • Once you've done both sides, curl both arms simultaneously toward your chest and then bring back toward start position. Do 8 reps of this double curl.

Unpright Rows

• Standing with feet shoulder-width apart, hold a 3- to 5-pound dumbbell in each hand in front of your hips, palms facing your body.
    • Lift elbows to shoulder height, bringing weights in front of your chest.
    • Hold for 3 counts and release.
    • Lower and repeat 8 to 10 times.

Triceps Push-Back
    Targets triceps
    • Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, holding a dumbbell in each hand, arms straight down at sides, palms facing back.
    • Lift arms straight back about 2 feet behind you; return to sides.
    • Do 20 reps.

Arm Circle
    What You'll Need: A pair of 3-pound dumbbells
    Targets shoulders, back, triceps, biceps
    • Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, arms extended straight out to sides at shoulder height.
    • Keeping shoulders down, do 20 small backward circles.
    • Switch directions; do 20 forward circles.

Back Touch
    Targets back, shoulders, biceps
    • Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms extended out to sides, a dumbbell in each hand.
    • Bring arms about 1 foot behind you (diagonal to shoulders).
    • Bend left elbow and touch back with dumbbell; return.
    • Do 30 reps, alternating sides.

Overhead Bend
    Targets shoulders, triceps, core
    • Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
    • Bend right elbow to hip and hinge over to left from waist.
    • Extend right arm overhead and to left, keeping shoulder down.
    • Lower elbow to hip.
    • Do 25 reps; switch sides and repeat.

Triceps toner

How to do it
    Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees bent slightly, arms down, a weight in each hand, palms facing back. Press arms back slightly, bend elbows and slide hands up along back as high as you can (as shown), keeping shoulders down. Slide hands back to start for one rep. Do 15 reps.

Balanced Core Strengthener
    • Stand with your feet hip-width apart.
    • Step forward with your left leg and lift your right leg behind you, bending forward slightly as you raise both arms over your head. Hold for 20 seconds, then relax for 30 seconds.
    • Keep your hips squared and your arms close to your ears. Lift your back leg up to hip height, or as high as you can.
    • Repeat 6-10 times, alternating legs in the lift.

Stability Ball Flyes on ball or standing

• Lie with chest on top of a stability ball, arms hanging down, a 5-pound weight in each hand and palms facing ball.
    • Extend arms out to sides at shoulder height, and squeeze shoulder blades together.
    • Lower and repeat 8 to 10 times.

Push-Up on a Ball OR on floor
    Once you nail the whole balancing-on-a-teetering-object thing, the actual push-up part of this exercise feels like a triumph. (Note: If you've had knee joint or nearby ligament injuries in the past, don't let the ball rest directly on your kneecaps -- the pressure plus lack of stability flares mine up if I'm not careful.)
    • Lie with your abdomen on an exercise ball and walk your hands forward on the floor until the ball rests under your thighs.
    • Pull your navel in toward your spine, bending your elbows.
    • Lower your upper body to the floor. Hold this position for three seconds, and then push up so your elbows are straight, but not locked. Keep your head in line with your spine and your abs engaged.
    • Start with 5 reps, working up to 15. Once you've mastered 15 reps, rest for one minute and then do a second set.

Pullovers with Dumbbells – armpits – on ball
    • Lying on an exercise bench or large couch cushion, hold a 5- or 8-pound dumbbell in both hands with your arms extended over your chest.
    • Slowly lower the weight behind your head and return the weight back.
    • Do 15 reps. (Want it harder? Raise your legs and bend your knees 90 degrees.)

Total tightener
    Balance on left foot, with left hand on hip, right arm down, holding weight. Bend forward, raising right leg behind you until parallel to floor. Hold position; raise right arm out to shoulder height (as shown), then lower arm for one rep. Do 12 reps. Return to start. Switch sides; repeat.
    Works shoulders, upper back, abs, butt, thighs

The Parachuter Works lower back, shoulders, butt
    • Lie facedown with arms extended in front of you.
    • Lift upper and lower body off floor as you bend elbows and draw shoulder blades together (as shown).
    • Hold; touch heels together 10 times.
    • Return to start. Repeat four times.

Back Extension with Ball

Starting Position
    Begin very close to a wall, facing away from it. Pull the ball into your legs as close to your body as possible. Keep your toes firmly on the ground and the soles of your feet flat on the wall behind you. Straighten legs so that weight is evenly distributed between your feet (at the wall) and the ball. Adjust the ball if necessary so that it is under your hips. Place your hands behind your ears or across your chest.

Action
    EXHALE: Extend from your hips- Bringing your torso upward toward the wall as high as possible. Hold for 1-3 counts.

INHALE: Slowly return to starting position to complete one rep.

Special Instructions
    Make sure your feet are flat on the wall and that your weight is pressed into them for stability.

Muscles Worked: Lower back
  • calismith
    calismith Posts: 8
    Options
    I started working out a little less than a month ago. I had huge arms and I hated them so much but I wasn't worried about toning them or working them- I just wanted to lose weight.

I started doing water aerobics at my fitness club. in 3 weeks I lost 2 1/2 inches in each arm!! They are so much smaller and they are toned! I am starting to see my shoulder and tricep muscles stick out- love it!!

If your gym offers water aerobics- try it! It is hard core and works your arms a lot!

Good Luck!

Cali
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    The one I like best are what my hubs calls 'chainsaw pulls'.

You'll need 1 handweight; 8lbs is a good start, but get up to 15lbs quickly.

Stand with feet shoulder width apart
    Hold weight in front of your hips (I usually place my free hand against my lower abs)
    Rotate weighted hand up, out & away from your body while keeping your elbow still until it reaches shoulder height
    Lower weighted hand back to starting position following the same path
    Rinse & repeat 10-15x, then switch arms.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Full body circuit training & weights!!

Ive seen HUGE differance in my arms in last 10 days, ive done ALOT of workouts with weights - love it!!