Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    OP, have you tried probiotics?
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    kampshoff wrote: »
    ccpowers wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I have been to a natualpath as well. He has worked well for a bit. Also dealing with the symptoms.... I would have never thought of chiro so I will check into that. I have also done massage and acupuncture to no avail in healing. It is a gong show, and really all I want is for someone to figure out what is causing the issues and then I will know what I am dealing with as all tests come back normal, yet this is very NOT normal. The allergy testing is next as well as gastroenterologist.

Chiropractic is quackery. Please stick to actual medicine.

There are chiropractors who are licensed MDs.

Any MD who believes he can solve gastrointestinal problems via spinal manipulation should have his license revoked.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have another friend that has had gastro issues that the doctors can't figure out. She had some success with a low FODMAP diet, although she still has low energy and occasional intestinal issues.

Here's some info on the diet:
    https://stanfordhealthcare.org/content/dam/SHC/for-patients-component/programs-services/clinical-nutrition-services/docs/pdf-lowfodmapdiet.pdf
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    May I give you a little bit of advice? Forget naturopaths, chiropractors and their elk and save your money. There are cheaper ways to placebo yourself into feeling better.

I had gastro issues in the past. You could google elimination diets, but to do it supervised would be best. My doctor put me on a customized systematic elimination diet and for the first week pretty much all I could eat were certain vegetables (no nightshades, no fruits..etc). Depending on your problem merely going dairy and gluten free may not be enough.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I would google "elimination diet" for tips. If you're doing this for medical reasons, it would be good to have an actual plan.

Good luck.

This.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have a bar of soap if you want so you can clean the food before eating. Just basic Ivory, no Irish Spring or Dove or anything.
  • ccpowers
    ccpowers Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »
    I have a bar of soap if you want so you can clean the food before eating. Just basic Ivory, no Irish Spring or Dove or anything.
    Lol
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    joejccva71 wrote: »

You sir, win EVERYTHING in the battle against "clean eating". Can we be friends?
  • ccpowers
    Options
    Hey!
    I have severe GI issues so i understand what you're going through. I had to eliminate a lot of foods in my diet to find the foods that irritated my entire gut. For 2-3 weeks I only ate raw organic fruits and veggies alongside chickpeas, quinoa, ground flax seed, and chia seeds. Within those weeks i felt so much better and had no GI pain, bleeding or swelling like i normally used too. Slowly I introduced in foods that I eliminated one by one to see how my body would react. Surprisingly I found I had food reactions to gluten, corn (fresh and corn additives), grapes, pesticides found on non organic fruits and veggies (dirty dozen), red meat and processed meat, rice, processed foods with lots of additives (cereals, granola bars), sugary foods, and dairy products.
    I have been through many tests at the hospital to find the source of my GI problems and have consulted with many gastroenterologists and I can say that doing the elimination diet helped me tremendously with finding what foods made my issues worse. So definitely give it a try! also there's a book that I really found helpful called 'Meals that Heal Inflammation' by Julie Daniluk.
    I hope your symptoms get better, I know personally how hard it is not having answers, especially when you're in pain. If you have any questions let me know, everyone is here to support and help!!!

Thank you so much. This is what I was hoping for, and someone who has gone through something similar really helps. I am starting with basics so sounds like I am on the right track. And will be looking into the elimination diet and the book. Yay!
  • ccpowers
    Options
    ccpowers wrote: »
    I have been dealing with stomach issues for a few months and the doctors can not find anything. I am going to cut out everything and see if that helps so I am going to no gluten, no dairy... What foods or meals would you suggest?

This is a bit different than definitions of clean eating I've seen/heard and quite frankly sounds a little odd without direction from a physician/dietician, but here are some suggestions:

Baked salmon, cooked kale, quinoa and bean salad
    Roast chicken, cauliflower and brussel sprouts
    Cajun red beans and rice, side salad
    Pan seered orange roughy, sauteed sweet potatoes and onion
    Shrimp and broccoli stir fry
    Pork loin stewed with butternut squash, turnips, carrots and parsnips
    Chili
    Filet mignon, grilled corn, salad

Thank you frothed suggestions
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is another approach you can take -- google Whole30 and look through the rules on their website. Personally I find that their mindset is too restrictive for my tastes, but it isn't a bad place to start if you want to rule out certain foods as the cause of GI issues.
  • mom2nicknat
    mom2nicknat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I went through this and ended up having an Endoscopy and other tests and all came back normal. He put me on the Fodmap diet which I did for a while - started adding more foods back one at a time and discovered it was the spinach I was eating multiple times a day that was killing me.. Now I can eat everything else but the spinach.. I would try the elimination diet approach if all else fails.
  • 2cocos
    2cocos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a book that just came out called "The Elimination Diet". I highly recommend it. I am trying it myself as I have a lot of food allergies and it can be difficult to figure out what is causing my symptoms.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might want to look in to the FODMAP diet. I suggest when re-introducing foods you be scientific about it, introducing one at a time and trying it for at least 48 hours before concluding if it helps or hurts. When I suddenly developed hives, my sister told me the reaction to a food might be delayed by a day or two, so the culprit could have been anything I ate in the last few days. I found it. I'm allergic to almonds.