Need to loose 40-45 pounds!

Options
I am trying to loose between 40 to 45 pounds in the next 6-12 months and Im new to working out. I recently joined Planet Fitness in order to loose weight and get back to my pre-kids weight of around 160. Even though I joined the gym, Im not exactly sure what machines to use in order to achieve my weight loss goal...any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    See if they'll give you some free time w/ a trainer as an intro...

You really want to know what you're doing to maximize your time and efforts & not hurt yourself!

You didn't mention calories, but I'd assume you're also tracking food & eating at a deficit...

Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily going to happen through changes in your diet. Working out in the gym can help a little, but until you get a handle on caloric intake, it's not going to move the needle much.

Have you set a calorie goal, and are you measuring & logging all of your food?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would recommend that you start out with a focus on tracking every thing you eat and achieving a calorie deficit. As far as fitness, now is a time to explore and find out what works for you. Ideally, you'll find a mix of things that get your heart rate up and things that challenge your muscles. At the gym, you can get your heart rate up most efficiently with cardio machine or in a cardio based class. You can challenge your muscles most efficiently with weight lifting. If you've never lifted before, secure a few sessions with a trainer so you can learn proper form.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 lbs since Valentine's day. I was in the same boat. I have another 25-30 lbs to go. I cut regular breads (wheat bread, sandwich bread, buns, etc) and pastas (spaghetti, lasagna, Mac n cheese, etc), and use the treadmill a LOT. Increase the incline as much as possible, and set a speed that is sustainable for you.
    I started out with 0 incline, and a max speed of 2.8 mph. That was as much as I could do for an extended period of time (45-60 minutes). 2 months later, I'm down 23 lbs, and last night I kept my speed at 3 mph, and had the incline (increasing by 3's every 5 minutes) up to 15, and it wasn't even hard. I was able to carry on a conversation without sounding winded or anything, and I even started a C25K program on the first.

Send a friend request if you want. My diary is open, and I'll help any way I can if you have any questions. (Not claiming to be an expert, but I can share what works for me)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Weight loss is primarily going to happen through changes in your diet. Working out in the gym can help a little, but until you get a handle on caloric intake, it's not going to move the needle much.

This. Priority number one should be eating at a calorie deficit. Working out is awesome but you won't get nearly the bang for your buck as changing your diet.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    The Kitchen outweighs The Gym by at least a factor of ten, right?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

This. Priority number one should be eating at a calorie deficit. Working out is awesome but you won't get nearly the bang for your buck as changing your diet.

yep.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    lkrause74 wrote: »
    I am trying to loose between 40 to 45 pounds in the next 6-12 months and Im new to working out. I recently joined Planet Fitness in order to loose weight and get back to my pre-kids weight of around 160. Even though I joined the gym, Im not exactly sure what machines to use in order to achieve my weight loss goal...any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Ditch the deadline and just get started. Realize it will take time to do this in a healthy way.
    Give MFP your numbers. Aim to lose no more than 2 lbs a week... 1 pound may be more reasonable. Eat up to the calorie goal you are given. Log everything as accurately as you can. Eat a portion of your calories earned from exercise.
    Take body measurements and progress pictures once a month or so.
  • lkrause74
    lkrause74 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    See if they'll give you some free time w/ a trainer as an intro...

You really want to know what you're doing to maximize your time and efforts & not hurt yourself!

You didn't mention calories, but I'd assume you're also tracking food & eating at a deficit...

Good luck!

Oh yes...im using MFP to track my calories. :-) and this gym offers free trainers, it's just finding a time on their calendar that works around my work schedule of 10 am to 5 pm. It's amazing how much one eats in the way of calories and such when you're tracking it. Thanks for the tips!
  • lkrause74
    Options

Oh yes...I use MFP to track what I eat and am reading labels to stay on track. MFP has me at 1650 calories per day and I try real hard to stay within that, though I have failed a few times and had to make up for it by doing in home aerobics with my in home walking dvd.

• lkrause74
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    I have lost 23 lbs since Valentine's day. I was in the same boat. I have another 25-30 lbs to go. I cut regular breads (wheat bread, sandwich bread, buns, etc) and pastas (spaghetti, lasagna, Mac n cheese, etc), and use the treadmill a LOT. Increase the incline as much as possible, and set a speed that is sustainable for you.
    I started out with 0 incline, and a max speed of 2.8 mph. That was as much as I could do for an extended period of time (45-60 minutes). 2 months later, I'm down 23 lbs, and last night I kept my speed at 3 mph, and had the incline (increasing by 3's every 5 minutes) up to 15, and it wasn't even hard. I was able to carry on a conversation without sounding winded or anything, and I even started a C25K program on the first.

Send a friend request if you want. My diary is open, and I'll help any way I can if you have any questions. (Not claiming to be an expert, but I can share what works for me)

Thanks sooo much! Sent an add request. Ill take all the help I can get.

• lkrause74
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Ditch the deadline and just get started. Realize it will take time to do this in a healthy way.
    Give MFP your numbers. Aim to lose no more than 2 lbs a week... 1 pound may be more reasonable. Eat up to the calorie goal you are given. Log everything as accurately as you can. Eat a portion of your calories earned from exercise.
    Take body measurements and progress pictures once a month or so.

Will do...Thanks! The goal was just a starting point.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »

Thanks sooo much! Sent an add request. Ill take all the help I can get.
    Keep in mind though that you really don't have to cut foods if you like them. Just learn to eat things in moderation. I have lost over 50 lbs in 260 days on this site by eating things in moderation.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The good thing about exercising is that it makes you not want to eat so you don't "waste" all the calories you just worked so hard to burn. At least that's how it works in my simple mind.
  • Lily2you
    Lily2you Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much one eats in the way of calories and such when you're tracking it.

This is such an eye opener for me. I didn't realize how much mindless eating I was doing.
  • lkrause74
    Options
    Lily2you wrote: »
    It's amazing how much one eats in the way of calories and such when you're tracking it.

This is such an eye opener for me. I didn't realize how much mindless eating I was doing.

Same here. I had no idea how many calories I was eating until I began to track it. Some things are harder to track than others so I try to look up nutritional info for meals before we go out to eat when we go out. All restaurants are required to post or make available nutritional info for everything on their menu which is a BIG help! Im able to get corn on the cob instead of fries when I get a meal like at Long John Silver for instance. :)
  • lkrause74
    Options
    [/quote]
    Keep in mind though that you really don't have to cut foods if you like them. Just learn to eat things in moderation. I have lost over 50 lbs in 260 days on this site by eating things in moderation.
    [/quote]

Oh I know. :) I enjoy a soda now & then but its not all the time like it used to be. I got plain water when my husband and I went to Red Lobster for a date night dinner one time. I asked for lemon slices and added a small amount of imitation sugar with the lemon and it was delicious. :)

• amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is notorious for having too many cardio machines and not enough free weights, not to mention their whole "lunk alarm" policy which is ridiculous. If you do cardio only, make sure you are doing intervals or something else that spikes up your metabolism even after you stop exercising (the best thing of course would be to lift weights.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track what I eat and am reading labels to stay on track. MFP has me at 1650 calories per day and I try real hard to stay within that, though I have failed a few times and had to make up for it by doing in home aerobics with my in home walking dvd.
    If you are able to continue losing weight at the rate you expect based on the above description, more power to you, and glad to hear it! :smiley:

At some point of time a lot of us find it necessary to weight anything that is solid, or semi solid, or can even be remotely weighed, and to measure as carefully as possible everything else.

We also end up spending a good amount of time trying to find the "best" database entries that are both accurate in terms of calories and contain all the nutrient information.

My digital kitchen scale and MFP have allowed me to confidently eat many a late night snack secure in the knowledge that I was aware how much I was eating!
  • lkrause74
    Options
    I haven't a clue where you find food scales or how much they cost. I'm only working part time so I dont make a lot and my husband is already weighed down with our bills. I do read food package labels a lot more than I used to. Its SO hard to stay within those labels sometimes though because I have a sweet tooth...not that I dont try to avoid going over what it says. Like for example if theres 220 calories in 4 mini donuts (a weakness for sure), I try VERY hard to not eat more than 4.