Scale help!

Options
I have been using (since Jan) an old-school dial type of scale in the same spot, same time of day, same clothes, etc every week. I have steadily gone down in weight to 164 (as of 4/14). However my husband thought it was inaccurate after weighing himself two nights ago in comparison to a medical scale at his work. So I purchased a new scale yesterday (taylor brand...it's the clear glass digital type) and I weighed myself this morning in the same spot as I have with the other scale. It read 171.6. However my husbands weight on the new scale was consistent with the one at his work. Yes I know we vary from scale to scale it just seems like an awful big difference. Any advice?

Replies

• jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    All scales are different. Its common that scales can differ between 5-10lbs. Thats why when trying to measure weight it is recommended to use the same scale throughout your weight loss. If you start at 170 and go down to 164 using the same scale then you KNOW you lost 6lbs even if maybe you werent EXACTLY 170lbs to begin with. Changing scales during weight loss is tricky! I would continue using the scale you already were. However to test it out, weigh yourself on your original scale and then on the new scale and I guarantee you will see a difference in weight even tho theyre literally seconds apart :) Technology cant always be exact :p
  • ritchiehl
    ritchiehl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    is his weight consistent with the other scale u have at the house?

His weight is about 6-8lbs less on the "broken" scale at our house
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you have any items in your house for which you know the exact weight? A hand weight, an unopened 10 pound sack of rice? Try weighing it on both scales and see what you get.

Even if it turns out that the new scale is right and your current weight really is 171 that doesn't negate all of the work you've done to lose the weight you have so far, you just started at a higher weight than you thought. You can edit your starting weight in MFP and keep at it.
  • ritchiehl
    Options
    All scales are different. Its common that scales can differ between 5-10lbs. Thats why when trying to measure weight it is recommended to use the same scale throughout your weight loss. If you start at 170 and go down to 164 using the same scale then you KNOW you lost 6lbs even if maybe you werent EXACTLY 170lbs to begin with. Changing scales during weight loss is tricky! I would continue using the scale you already were. However to test it out, weigh yourself on your original scale and then on the new scale and I guarantee you will see a difference in weight even tho theyre literally seconds apart :) Science cant always be exact :p

This is what I was thinking. Perhaps I was heavier to begin with an although I'm not entirely down to 164 yet, I still have lost weight. The only thing about continuing to use the old scale is I'm tricked into believing I'm near goal weight. I am also in the military and am trying to get to the weight they require (although I do pass their BF% test). So if I get to 154lbs on that scale I'm not actually within their requirements. However, we were weighed on the 10th during training and it was slightly more (because they weigh us fully dressed) than what my new scale is weighing me in at. So I'm thinking I didn't start at the weight I started at but like you said I still have lost. Thanks for your help!
  • ritchiehl
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Do you have any items in your house for which you know the exact weight? A hand weight, an unopened 10 pound sack of rice? Try weighing it on both scales and see what you get.

Even if it turns out that the new scale is right and your current weight really is 171 that doesn't negate all of the work you've done to lose the weight you have so far, you just started at a higher weight than you thought. You can edit your starting weight in MFP and keep at it.

My husband has a weight set I could use. Thanks for the advice!