Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is It Possible to Have a Negative Net Calorie Count Daily?

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    How are you not hungry after all that exercise? I know some people aren't affected until the next day or day after, but I'd be ready to pounce a moose (or a Blizzard from DQ).
    exactly! I mean 2 hours of swimming?? I'd be starving!!

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    FitBit is ****ing evil. Those steps (even assuming its accurate) corresponds to roughly 15km. At 180 pounds, 15km of walking nets you 500 calories.

Yeah I give up!!!! I'm not going to eat 1 single exercise calorie back! I'm 5'8 140lbs

26000 steps for me would be about 10.5 miles (I test it against various treadmill mileage counts every so often) - I don't think the calorie burn is that far off, actually.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Thanks guys xx :bigsmile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    I just can't even

and that's just after reading the OP

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I assume the actual advice has been covered off
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Thanasi99 wrote: »
    From what I've heard now, exercise seems to only count for about half of what it's truly logged in to MFP as.

I think it's very individual. I've heard this a lot on the boards, but in my experience, and the reports from some people on my friends list has been that when I did start using an HRM I found that the MFP numbers actually weren't too far off.
  • shaunte92
    shaunte92 Posts: 127 Member
    edited April 2015
    I spent an hour bicycling at about 11 mph, an hour of moderate paced walking at work, and about 2 hours of moderate swimming laps.

No. That would burn like 500-700 calories max, I would think.

4 hours of exercise could definitely result in a 1400 calorie lost. She's only burning 350 calories an hour. I use a Polar fit hrm and can burn over 1,000 in 2 hours if I do two high intense cardio classes at my gym back to back. I don't dare try to do this every day, I wouldn't be able to sustain it. But it's possible. I personally wouldn't work out for 4 hours but her scenario could be a true issue.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    shaunte92 wrote: »
    I spent an hour bicycling at about 11 mph, an hour of moderate paced walking at work, and about 2 hours of moderate swimming laps.

No. That would burn like 500-700 calories max, I would think.

4 hours of exercise could definitely result in a 1400 calorie lost. She's only burning 350 calories an hour. I use a Polar fit hrm and can burn over 1,000 in 2 hours if I do two high intense cardio classes at my gym back to back. I don't dare try to do this every day, I wouldn't be able to sustain it. But it's possible. I personally wouldn't work out for 4 hours but her scenario could be a true issue.

OP said they really do 4 continuous hours of high intensity work. So maybe. I was just skeptical that anyone could do that much work at that high intensity for that long. Idk.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    People have fast days for various reasons so, of course it's possible. Is it sustainable? No.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    I occasionally have this happen on a Sunday when I tend to do a long bike ride (road cycling - vigorous effort) and then come home and do a lot of gardening. I eat around 1500 cals but burn around 1700 so end up -200. This is not sustainable on a regular basis though... As long as you feel fine and are eating a healthy balanced diet you will be fine just not EVERYDAY!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    I think it's certainly possible to do it on occasion (or at least moderate intensity sufficient to burn 1400 calories). I mean, people run marathons, go for day long hikes, climb mountains, do century rides, etc.

What I found problematic about the OP was whether it was possible/sustainable to do that every day while eating so few calories. Or whether it's realistic to do 4 hours of somewhat intense exercise a day (although people who have active jobs probably do something similar or more--they simply don't eat 1200 calories while doing it, if they are smart).

So for the record, no.

(I also think it's easy to overestimate swimming calories, since the higher calorie entries are for a kind of swimming that most people who just swim recreationally and don't have some kind of competitive swimming background probably don't do, and it's easy to ignore time out for stops. But this is simply why I used to cut my swimming calories way down before I switched to TDEE. Also, I'm another who gets quite hungry from swimming!)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    How are you not hungry after all that exercise? I know some people aren't affected until the next day or day after, but I'd be ready to pounce a moose (or a Blizzard from DQ).
    exactly! I mean 2 hours of swimming?? I'd be starving!!

That's funny, after high school swim practice we'd always go get DQ Blizzards. Only in Minnesota do you see kids with wet hair in freezing temperatures eating ice cream outside lol.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    FitBit is ****ing evil. Those steps (even assuming its accurate) corresponds to roughly 15km. At 180 pounds, 15km of walking nets you 500 calories.

Yeah I give up!!!! I'm not going to eat 1 single exercise calorie back! I'm 5'8 140lbs

Tree is best I think with a fit bit
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I suppose it could happen every once in a blue moon but I would not do it on purpose. You could eventually get dietary deficiencies, lose hair, etc.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Huh. I can honestly say that I've never gone into the negative. Definitely doesn't seem like a good idea to do it often.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited April 2015
    deleted because I can't explain myself
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm about 5'8" and 205 pounds if that helps at all. Thank you to everyone for informing me!

Similar size here, and I have logged many 900-1400 calorie burn days... mostly from running and coaching. Tangent: You know there is a downside of weight loss? Burn rate drops for same apparent performance. It's a good problem to have. ;-)

Since I'm totally new to input calorie counting I can't say I've ever gone negative. This past week was net ~300 twice. I might be underestimating input by at times, but cals from exercise I feel confident about as I use a HRM and it's easy to expect a 10k to burn 800-900+ for my weight and pace, and I often have multi sport/activity days.

I'd not be too concerned about going negative once in awhile, as your fat stores are stores of energy after all.

I let my body tell me what to do. If its been, or will be, a big exercise effort day, I will be eating appropriately more, and I didn't need to count calories to know or do that.
  • Michaelseastman
    Michaelseastman Posts: 6 Member
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    It's not that I'm not eating or anything. I consumed maybe 1200 calories yesterday (my goal is 1430), but I did a TON of exercise that burned all of those calories off and then some.

I have a really hard time believing you burned 1400 calories in one day, unless your session was like five hours long.

a lot of people overestimate their calories burned...lol so i agree with you.
    Also, it can really depend on the type of exercise and how rigorous the training was.
    Moreover, calories burned are just estimates...so I don't really focus on calories burned after exercise...

That's a problem here on the MFP app. I run on the elliptical for an hour and the machine at the gym tells me roughly 900 calories. That can't be right. Then MFP tells me that 1185 calories burned. WHAT? At the average of 5 calories per minute, that's only 300. There's a lot of discrepancies on both this app and the machines at the gym, so I never really know what I'm burning.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    ...On October 13, 2013, I ate 3260 calories, but I burned 4284 (estimated by my Garmin Edge 800 GPS cycle computer, which uses heart rate, fitness level, speed, and altitude changes to estimate energy expenditure). That was on an 9-hour (moving time), 111.5-mile bike ride up and down the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts. I just couldn't eat that much.

You're my new hero. I just got into cycling and only aspire to do that much! My fiance is a cycling freak, and I don't know if he could even do that ride. Wow.

Aw, shucks! It was the Great River Ride out of Westfield, Mass., following the three branches of the Westfield River. Absolutely beautiful scenery, with the foliage at its height.

If you're in good health and have patience, you can work up to a ride like that. It's mostly about three things: (1) building the endurance to exert yourself at a moderate level all day, (2) learning how to eat and drink enough calories on the bike (200-300 calories/hour) to keep your blood sugar up and prevent a bonk, and (3) accustoming your butt, feet, arms, hands, and neck to spending that much time on a bike!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    Yes, if you're fasting or starving yourself for a long enough period of time. Of course something I don't advise to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Cardio machines also grossly over estimate. 60 minutes on the Pre-Cor elliptical and the machine (after inputting gender, age and weight) will tell me I've burned a little over 700, while the HRM says I've burned about 450.