Options
2»

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    If you have ever seen that show called My 600 lb. Life there is a doctor in Houston that does the by-pass surgery on these people. He said that carbonated drinks of any kind will stretch your stomach. Just saying that is what he said to his patients.

I believe that is specific to patients that had the surgery.

No he told them before they had the surgery because they had to lose some weight before he would do it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you, I don't touch the stuff.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Come up with a system. Continue to drink diet soda but for every 1 can of diet you drink, drink a bottle of water or something. Diet soda won't make you fat. It tastes good too.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bteague7 wrote: »
    So I never really drank soda until I started working in the food industry. Then I realized that diet soda had no calories! I felt like since it had no calories it was fine to drink. After reading a lot about diet soda I read that it is not good for you and can actually make you gain more weight than even regular soda. I feel like diet soda is a good substitute for when I am hungry and wanting to splurge on an unhealthy food choice. What is everyone's thoughts?

If you are obsessed with it, just stop drinking it. Out of site, out of mind.

• llanolady
    llanolady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    An occasional diet soda isn't going to hurt you and in my opinion it's good to treat yourself to something that you like as a reward for the rest of your hard work. The artificial sweeteners in products are not really good for you if, like anything else, they are overused. Everything in moderation is best so drink up when you need to. I substitute a sparkling water like La Croix (no sweeteners or caffeine ) for soda to get both a carbonated fix & water in my day.

• VCFernandez13
    VCFernandez13 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Drink seltzer that's what I did to kick my habit of soda, I know the taste isn't even close but that feeling is there like your drinking basically the healthiest soda you can
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen that show called My 600 lb. Life there is a doctor in Houston that does the by-pass surgery on these people. He said that carbonated drinks of any kind will stretch your stomach. Just saying that is what he said to his patients.

No he told them before they had the surgery because they had to lose some weight before he would do it.

FWIW, Dr. Now had his patients lose weight before the surgery because he needed to see that they were actually willing to put in the effort and try to lose weight. There were some patients that also needed to lose weight to lessen the risks of severe complications.

Also, carbonated beverages do not stretch your stomach in the sense of giving you 'more room to eat'. Rather, they can cause painful gas and it is recommended that gastric bypass patients avoid carbonated beverages for at least 6 months after surgery.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I gave up artificial sweeteners about 5 months ago--and thus diet sodas--and drink sparkling water now when I want something bubbly, and completely kicked the diet soda. Was much easier than I thought and I don't miss it.
  • lauranewman130
    lauranewman130 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're not tackling alot of other food challenges right now, I'd recommend weaning off of it. I don't believe you won't lose weight by drinking it, but overall, you'll do better without it. It's loaded with sweetners and I do believe it will keep your sweet-drink cravings going. I only drink flavored seltzer waters. I like them. Many people don't. But even those..I feel less bloated when I don't drink them and stick to plain water.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    A zero calorie drink will not cause you to gain weight. I drank diet coke throughout my weight loss phase and I continue to drink it with no issues now that I'm successfully maintaining.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Try substitution rather than cold turkey. Swap out sparkling water and Mio or some other flavouring agent. Yes, it still has the same artificial sweeteners, but I agree with others insofar as I believe the danger of them is very overstated. Also, you can use as much or as little as you please if you want to wean yourself off of them.

In two months, my household went from routinely consuming a two litre of diet pop per day to lightly flavoured tap water with pop as an occasional treat item. Little gradual changes of daily routine add up to big lifestyle changes.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I drink 4 cans of diet something a day. Losing an average of 1.5# a week since January.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    They say diet soda can make you gain more weight because the artificial sweeteners dull the senses and lead to you ultimately wanting to eat more junk food which will cause you to gain more weight in the long run. That said I use Diet Mt Dew as my soda replacement on a daily bases and I am loosing weight just fine. Its all about moderation, too much of anything can be bad for you, its all just a mater of perspective
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I've drank it for 25+ years now and have basically maintained the same weight (190lbs-200lbs) during that time.
    Lots of studies "link" it to weight gain, cravings, etc., but it's not be defined as the actual cause. You can't gain weight from diet soda, but one can think because they have extra calories to spare, they can eat more and end up eating more than they need to. Lots of obese people probably (my guess) drink it because it's the one "good" thing they say they do in their diet? Who knows, but obviously it's not the diet soda that's putting the weight on them but the massive amount of calories they are eating.
    People blame aspartame from diet soda, but there are lots of other drinks that have it that don't get the same attention as diet soda for blame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

FWIW, Dr. Now had his patients lose weight before the surgery because he needed to see that they were actually willing to put in the effort and try to lose weight. There were some patients that also needed to lose weight to lessen the risks of severe complications.

Also, carbonated beverages do not stretch your stomach in the sense of giving you 'more room to eat'. Rather, they can cause painful gas and it is recommended that gastric bypass patients avoid carbonated beverages for at least 6 months after surgery.

Not sure what you are saying. He said they stretch the stomach. Do not know in what "sense" he said that in. He wanted to see if they could lose weight before he did the surgery...and yes I know that is what he said.