28 Year Old who Eats Like My 4 Year Old

Options
Hi All! I have been generally overweight most of my life. I tipped to my highest after having my son (back in 2011) and never losing the pregnancy weight. I continuously make attempts to get healthy and be active but then I backslide and the weight creeps back. I eat just like my 4 year old does. Frankly its typically quick to put together and not that healthy. I have always been a picky eater but now as I get older I wish I wasn't but I am not sure where to start. Beside my diet being a problem, I sit at a desk all day at work then hang around the house or playground with my little guy. I have started feeling the negative effects of my weight (tiredness, joint pain, shortness of breath) and I really am looking for some people who can understand the struggle and maybe offer some tips and tricks that worked for them. I want to try and have a healthy life to be a better example for my son and be as healthy as I possibly can.

I appreciate any advice anyone can provide! :smile:

Replies

• itscattopaz
    itscattopaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! You say that you are quick to throw things together--Try to find some healthy variations of what you like to eat. For example, with cereal get the lower carb, higher protein one that will fill you up more and switch your milk to a lower calorie brand. I would also start using your measuring cups. It's quick and ensures that you follow your serving sizes. Start doing little things to get more active, like constantly jiggling your leg and using the stairs and not the elevator. Drink lots of water, and partake in active games with your kid. You've got this!
  • elainebinns
    elainebinns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! I put on 3 stones in pregnancy and am, finally, getting around to losing it. My son is 13
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I eat just like my 4 year old does.

If you eat as much as your 4 year old, then you will lose weight. :)

I know someone who only has child portions eg at McD's they'll order off the children's menu. Can't remember whether the person is on here or elsewhere, though.
  • hezemakiah
    hezemakiah Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I agree with itscattopaz. Little switches can make a huge difference. I was a big creamer in my coffee addict. I removed the creamer. It took a few weeks but now I like it better black. I eat instant oatmeal every morning. I switched from 2% milk to no sugar added vanilla coconut milk and I actually am liking it better AND way less calories. If your child is a toddler try just finding time to get your own exercise - besides what you do with your child. Take your child for lots of walks in the stroller. Don't eat a cookie for a snack - grab a veggie out of the fridge. Park your car at the far end of the store parking lot instead of trying to get rockstar parking. These things add up! Best wishes to you!
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Is 4 years old old enough to play by him or herself? I forget. Once my kids got old enough, I would walk circles around the playground while they played. Before that, I used to put on my iPod and chase them around the playground. Now I run laps around their soccer field while they practice.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is quick and easy. A little olive oil, bunch of random chopped vegetables with 4 oz lean chicken or beef. Lots of nutrition, fairly low cal. Just be sure to measure/weigh the high calorie things like the oil and the meat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Just eat less and move more. Make small changes. And remember, just because your 4 yo isn't overweight doesn't mean he doesn't also need a healthy diet. A healthy diet doesn't have to be 100% "healthy foods", but it shouldn't be 100% free of "healthy foods" either.

Balance it out. Baby steps. One small change at a time.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound harsh so my apologies if this comes off that way that's not my intent.

You have to put the effort in. Instead of eating say chicken nuggets and french fries make your own, use fresh potatoes or sweet potatoes cut up, toss in olive oil and bake or grill them. Buy chicken breast tenders fresh and roll them in your own breading or season and bake/grill. Start adding in the veggies you do like. You can make up a large batch of the chicken and potatoes and freeze them for reheating later.
    If you have a spaghetti eater switch to the smart taste brand or veggie pasta, it doesn't have any different flavor than regular white pasta but it gives you more nutrition. You can use this to make your own chef boyardee type stuff.

Try different ways of cooking things, buy frozen veggies instead of canned to start, frozen fruit mixed with yogurt in a blender is fantastic and most kids will eat it. Even Kraft mac and cheese has a whole grain version, buy that instead of the regular.

As for movement, instead of watching your son play at the playground, play with him. Use the swings, great for knee movement and very little pressure. Park further away wherever you go, if you do drive ups instead of driving up park the car and walk inside. Every small step you take turns into another small step and one day you'll wonder why it all seemed so difficult.

• danalynne87
    danalynne87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I think I was trying to change everything at once which is overwhelming to say the least. So I'm going to pick one thing a week to change and grow from there. This week will be parking further away and replace one of my high-carb snacks with a fruit or veggie.