Coworkers Leave Me Candy....GRRRR!

Options
Before I say anything, I must preface that I work with ALL overweight people and I am by no means skinny, I am a healthy weight.

Because I am the "skinny" one at work, my coworkers feel it is their duty to leave candy, popcorn, chocolate, etc at my desk in hopes I will eat it. I actually overheard two people talking about how I am "sucking the life" out of the office because I will have fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast instead of a danish or muffin. How do my eating habits affect other people's attitudes?

Now that lunch is over, I just got back to my desk to find a commerical size bag of fun sized kit kats and my bag of dark chocolate dove pieces ismissing.

ARGH! Please tell me that I am NOT the only one. I am beginning to think that I am missing something.

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Oh my heck. I would chuck it in the trash.
  • Nina_Crowson
    Nina_Crowson Posts: 136
    Options
    i understand, only im the overweight one, and instea dof leaving me candy the girl in my office chomps down and offers me some everyday!

And the amount of mcdonalds this girl comes in with and then when i go tot the gym she says o im going to start next week, then the next week its the same thing! LOL
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'd go leave them around the office. Hide them in their drawers and such...
    I will never understand WHY people would want you to be unhappy and overweight? Makes no sense at all!
  • MeaganAnn84
    MeaganAnn84 Posts: 95
    Options
    They are whacked. Who leaves someone an ENTIRE bag of candy? And you're not sucking the life out of your office, your coworkers are sucking the life out of themselves, by eating crap all the time. You're bringing life to your office. I dislike it when people pick on others, whether they're overweight, or skinny. How silly! Put the candy in your break area or whatever, get rid of it! Argh.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who would give me the extras and another who still drops candy on my desk. I keep those I like and give away the others. When I do elect to keep some, I usually stash it in my cubbie to enjoy at a later time. If you know who's giving you the treats and you really don't want any, let that person know. I actually told one of my friends that I appreciate the thought but I don't really eat that much candy but when I have a hankering I'd definitely see her. It worked and she didn't seem the least disappointed and I held true to my part of the bargain and visit her desk on occassion for a quick candy fix.
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That is super mean. I am the only lady at work and the only one at a healthy weight, and the guys CONSTANTLY make fun of my eating habits. They eat all day out of a vending machine, lunch is fast food, etc. One here has had a heart attack, and we lost one coworker to a stroke a few years ago due to his lifestyle. It used to actually hurt my feelings, but now I just laugh them off and walk away from whatever they wave in front of my face. If they leave me candy I chunk it in the trash! I hate to waste it, but why would I pass on the bad habits by gifting it to someone else? Sorry you are having to battle with people you see every day!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'd say smack them. When they look at you and ask why you did that, just say you thought there was a bug on them or something.
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd move the candy back to a common area like a break room or something, where everyone who enjoys candy can enjoy candy.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "Sucking the life out of the office because you eat healthy?" What kind of rubbish is THAT?? OMG the pettiness and jealousy of people who don't have the will power that you do!!
    I agree with the last poster. Just continue to throw it out, make sure they see you doing it and eventually, they're going to get sick of wasting their money.
    But seriously?? In a public school, that'd be considered bullying. Depending on where you work, you could even resort to filing a workplace harrassment suit., however , I'm sure you want to try to keep the peace. Remember you may not be physically BIGGER than them, but you can be emotionally bigger!! Good luck.

I'm so glad I work in a two person office and my boss is a male who is watching his weight too!!
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Jealous much? LOL I can't believe they left you kit kats and took your dove, though. Kit kats one of the highest calorie candy bars you can eat. SMH :noway:
  • shaheerahs
    shaheerahs Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I tend to try to give people the before of the doubt, maybe they are just trying to be funny. Have you told them it bothers you?
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Announce (LOUDLY) a great reward for the missing bag of Dove Dark (for shame on those who stole that!!)

Make the reward the commercial size bag of Kit Kats!!

Also, when handing over the bag of Kit Kat's, tell them to just give you a break. (Sorry, had to say it)
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    that is so annoying....I don't think it's anyone's business what you eat and maybe they're taking on the theory that misery loves company. I think if you keep chucking it, they'll stop wasting time on it.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!
    Try it and let me know how it goes!!
    I'd say smack them. When they look at you and ask why you did that, just say you thought there was a bug on them or something.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I think you should start leaving healty snacks on their desk. Maybe they will take a hint when they recieve a carrot on their desk every day
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Put them in the breakroom.
    Maybe add a little sign, something about "I'd really rather have my Dove Dark back, please"
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Wow!! :noway: That is extremely rude!

Do you have a break room you could take the candy too? Also, why are they taking anything off of your desk?? That is messed up! As well as stealing, even if it is a food product.

Good luck with that.

As for the remarks...just ignore it. They'll eventually find something or someone else to focus on. :ohwell:
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe they are putting the blame on you because they are unhappy with themselves. It's easier to place blame and sabotage someone else than it is to look at yourself and realize the problem is you. Either way, don't let them get to you and keep doing things your way. If we never learn anything else its that peer pressure is a *****.
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Put them in the breakroom.
    Maybe add a little sign, something about "I'd really rather have my Dove Dark back, please"

*high five* Exactly!!
  • tashjs21
    Options
    I think you should start leaving healty snacks on their desk. Maybe they will take a hint when they recieve a carrot on their desk every day

:laugh: Love it!!