liquids/fasting

Options
not looking for specific advise just curious what knowledge people can share. as someone who has a lap-band my first real intense experience with fasting and an all liquid diet was associated with my surgery. clear liquids for 48 hours before and then two long weeks of liquids after. since then i have had liquid days associated with each fill i have received. my dr. is very conservative so i have had a bunch of small fills. now, in general when on liquids you will most likely consume less calories so that will create a deficit. you will also pass through solid waste without necessarily creating more in the meantime. because of these factors you will almost always see a drop on the scale almost immediately. in addition to that, i find that for whatever reason going on liquids also seems to cause my body to retain less water as well and i usually urinate very frequently and fully adding to the weight-loss. i wonder if this is a reaction to a reduced sodium intake or if it is due to some other physiological function? of course, when you return to eating you're normal diet things level out again and you may or may not retain the loss that you achieved through a temporary period on liquids. i guess my real question is do any of you sometimes go on liquids temporarily just to sort of help "move things along" without having a medical reason to do so? obviously, whenever i go on liquids i am still getting my proteins and a reasonable amount of calories. i am just toying with the idea of doing it occasionally even when i don't have a fill...

Replies

• katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    JASON!!!! i just had this conversation with my sister this morning!!! I lose weight when i go on liquids!!! it makes me feel better overall! I find that yes it is liquid calories, but i find that they dont "stick". possibly might be the sodium u had mentioned!!! But I am really intersted in this post...I had a freind on here vencellia and she had lost over a hundred pounds just doing liquids....and she had consumed almost 2000 calories just doing that!!! I guess everyone is different... everyone has their own way of doing things!!! whatever works!!!! I personally try to stick with liquids because i have a "positve mental attitude" doing so....I feel better inside out... <3
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    well, i know there are all different kinds of fasting/cleanses etc. most of us lapbanders are keyed into the whole protein shake thing but others use juices and teas and such. i just ordered some powdered spirulina powder and was reading about how some japanese elders supposedly live for years on nothing but water and spirulina. spirulina can supposedly meet the nutritional needs of a well-balanced diet from one food source. i am just thinking of mixing it in with my protein shakes to give me more nutrients.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted a similar question. From the little research I have done I think that a liquid only day or 2 here and there is good to "move things along" as you say. However, I personally (in my non-expert openion) would not recommend it for a regular diet. I think that we can get better results from "eating raw" than from just drinking liquids. But like I said, that's just my opinion. I hope surgery went well!
  • Tvstarbabe
    Tvstarbabe Posts: 101
    Options
    What do you mean by liquids?
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    my surgery went great. i had lost 56 lbs. prior to surgery and have lost another 63 since. for the puropes of bariatric surgery there are two types of liquid diets: a clear liquid diet that includes only water, teas, clear broths, sugar-free jellos and the like. that is only required right around your surgery. after that i remained on a liquids only diet for two weeks that included protein shakes, yogurt diluted with milk, pureed soups and such. i also follow that regimen for the remainder of the day on any day that i get a fill which means they add saline into my band to tighten it. what i have tried the last few days was liquids until dinner, almost like a slim-fast diet. it worked well because as i said a lot of solid waste moved along and i passed a lot of liquids and my weight swung down considerably. thinking of trying this like once a week or so for a day or two. like i said, everytime i do it because a fill requires it, it always seems to kick-start my loss a little bit.