Low cal crunchy crispy snacks.

Options
Hey everyone, I've been using MFP for around two months now and I love it but I have to confess that I am missing my snacks, ie crisps (or if you are from the states potato chips) somehow rice cakes and mini ryvitas just don't have the same effect on me, does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Kellog's makes cracker chips. They come in potato chip and sour cream and onion potato chip flavors (those are the only ones I have found anyway). 27-30 chips for 110 cals.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I buy these really awesome crackers, I mean I know that's not exactly the same thing as potato chips, but it gives you the crunch!! The ones I get are "Back to Nature" brand and they come in a cheese flavor. Only 130 calories per little bag.
  • Colbyleesmom
    Colbyleesmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Once in a while if I grab a sandwich at Subway they have light chips. There tasty and not too many calories if I remember right.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    You could try Kale chips - they're yummy (and crunchy)!
  • chylom
    chylom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You could try Kale chips - they're yummy (and crunchy)!

Agreed!

Wash a bunch of kale and tear it in to smaller pieces. Toss with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt. Cook in a 375 degree oven until the edges start to turn brown (about 6-8 minutes)

You can't get that kind of nutrition from potato chips!
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I get the baked potato crisps from Aldi. They taste really good and have fewer calories and less fat.

I also get these little crisps sold at the health food store called snap pea crisps. They are NOT low in calories or fat, but they're a nice treat in moderation. http://snacksalad.com/products.html

Sometimes I make some baked corn tortilla chips by cutting up two corn tortillas (80 calories-ish) and spraying with cooking spray. I put in the oven at 325 until crispy. I like to make cashew cheese and add chili powder and cumin to it to make a healthier version of nacho cheese to use for my corn chips. Again-it's not low fat or low cal, but a nice treat in moderation.

I do not deprive myself. I let myself snack. I've just replaced my snacks with healthier versions, and I've learned to read the label and get a dish and put the appropriate portion size in there and eat only that amount. Never keep the bag with you.

Good luck!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips

I love POP Chips also. Do you like Popcorn? There are a lot of options, but most of these crunchy options do make you want to eat more if you know what I mean.
  • basschick38
    basschick38 Posts: 12
    Options
    Try bagging some shelled walnuts or almonds in a snack bag to give you some additional crunch. Small portions won't impact your waistline and the nuts have lots of protein to give you energy.
  • msbrownbeauty87
    msbrownbeauty87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i actually just started to eat veggie chips when im in the mood for chips and its only 130 cal for a bag or sometimes ill have the lays baked chips.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Apples?
  • Lulana
    Lulana Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow gonna try this for sure i love curly kale yummy!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I LOVE baked lentil chips...you can have 30 good sized chips for 110 calories, and they are yum!

http://www.mediterraneansnackfoods.com/products/lentil-sea-salt/
  • jemahn
    jemahn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take broccoli, spray it with a misting of olive oil, pepper and a little salt. Bake it at 450 till crispy and it is DELISH! Plus no gas issues because it is cooked ( i don't eat raw broccoli)
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just had popcorn! I am a big salty food person..love potatoe chips! I am pretty proud of myself right now though, I popped some popcorn and had a cup of it...it has definately helped my craving for salt w/o all the added calories and sodium!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I take broccoli, spray it with a misting of olive oil, pepper and a little salt. Bake it at 450 till crispy and it is DELISH! Plus no gas issues because it is cooked ( i don't eat raw broccoli)

Sounds great! i am going to try this for sure!!
  • Lulana
    Lulana Posts: 19
    Options

Sounds great! i am going to try this for sure!!

Me too !!!!!!
  • Manolapurple12
    Manolapurple12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found these baked potatoe chips made by Kettle. They come in barbecue, sea salt, salt and vinegar, salt and pepper, and they are very low fat. Around 120 cals for 20 chips. Just like regular potatoe chips but with out the grease!
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Kale chips are amazing!

They also take well to spices and are great with nutritional yeast.

I just made a few batches of roasted chick peas. One was chili spiced and the other was curry. The recipe and procedure are in my blog, but below I will provide a link to the site where I got most of the information. The same site has several very low fat / calorie snack ideas that are simple, cheap and easy to execute.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

Happy snacking!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Terra exotic vegetable chips!!!!!!!! They are SO good! Or I make my own sweet potato chips..bake them with a little sugar free maple syrup and cayenne pepper.