Meatless Monday Movement - Vegetarian Recipes

emcando
emcando Posts: 48
edited September 27 in Recipes
OK, so in the GOOP Newsletter, I read about this. The more I think about it.. the more I think I am going to do it. We should start a meatless Monday group.

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Gwyneth's take on it: http://www.goop.com/newsletter/68/en/

Here are a couple of this week's recipes off the meatless monday site. AND the nutritional values are there too.

Spicy Pulao Rice
Basmati rice is tossed with fresh peas, carrots, tomatoes and corn and seasoned with lemon juice, ginger and chilies. Peanuts, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds add a nuttiness as well as a crunch to this hearty Indian classic. This recipe comes to us from Desi of Healthy Vegetarian Foods.Serves 6

1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1-2 green or red chilies
1 tomato, chopped
2 carrots, finely grated
1 cup fresh peas, shelled
or
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 cup corn, cut from the cob
1 1/2 cups peanuts
1/6 cup sunflower seeds
1/6 cup sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups basmati rice, cooked according to package directions

Avocado Radish Salad
Sometimes all you need for a delicious salad is to bring out the natural flavors of ripe fruits and veggies. Creamy avocado and crisp radish slices are seasoned with lemon juice, salt and pepper in this simple and satisfying salad. This recipe comes to us from Jen of Domestic Divas.

Serves 2

1 ripe avocado, peeled, pit removed, and sliced
1 cup radishes, trimmed and sliced
juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
Divide avocados and radishes in half and place each half in a medium sized bowl.

Drizzle each bowl with half the lemon juice and half the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.

What do ya'll think?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Sounds delicious! Check out my blog in my signature line for some other super delicious meat-free meals!
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Cool! I sure will.
  • That's awesome! Vegetarian is the way to go! I think you'll find you don't miss meat at all. And these recipes sound great.

My best recommendation for vegetarian recipes is to look to regular recipes for inspiration. For instance, I make a great tofu cacciatore (sauteed peppers and onions in a tomato sauce with tofu). I just take a recipe that I'm familiar with and swap tofu or tempeh for the meat - or just leave it out entirely!

That said, I subscribe to a TON of recipe e-newsletters to get ideas: Food Network, Rachael Ray, Real Simple, and Hungry Girl are a few of my favorites.

Good luck!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Heck yes! I love this idea!

Here is one of my favorite vegetarian meals to share (from Vegetarian Times magazine)

SPICY TOFU

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup chile-garlic sauce
    2 Tbs. dark sesame oil
    14 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
    5 green onions, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
    1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
    2 Tbs. lemon juice

1. Whisk together soy sauce, chile-garlic sauce, and sesame oil in bowl.
    2. Heat skillet over medium heat. Dip tofu in soy sauce mixture; cook 10 minutes, or until browned.
    3. Cool 10 minutes. Add green onions, yogurt, and lemon juice to remaining chile mixture. Toss with tofu.

It's ok cold, in my opinion, but for me, I like to serve it hot, over cooked brown rice with cucumbers and carrots on the side. Mmm!
This discussion has been closed.