I need support, I stuff when stressed.

Options
Hi. My name is Amanda and I have been trying to loose weight for a very long time and I get close to one of my first milestones then ill gain again and start to lose. I have noticed that I will pig out and I mean really pig out when I become stressed (im in college so thats all the time). Just today I had a stats exam that made me so nuts and I ate a lot of del taco....a lot.
I am looking for anything to help. Destressing tips? Healthy recipies/snacks? Workouts? Anxiety help? Just talk? Anything would be great. Thank you mfp.

Replies

• Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi Amanda. Many people tend to stress eat. I've been guilty of it more than I care to admit. We'll put it like this: I gained 30 lbs in about 5 months when I lost my Papa, which also happened to be my senior year in college.

Anyway, do you have access to a gym on campus? I find working out (especially lifting heavy or boxing) to be great stress relief. It keeps me busy and by the time I am done the stress is virtually gone and so is my appetite. I also find long runs therapeutic. Everyone has different (non food related) ways to unwind. Just find an activity you enjoy and take an hour out of your day to work it in. It doesn't necessarily have to be an exercise-related activity.

One of my snacks I like to make (when I want something indulgent) is a healthy take on bananas foster: Slice up half of a banana, sauté it, melt 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter over it, and 1/2 serving of dark chocolate chips. It is divine and averages about 125 calories :)

Feel free to send me a FR or message me if you need to talk. I successfully lost 78 lbs and have been in maintenance for 7 months and counting. I'm always happy to help you any way I can.
  • Maccadonagh
    Maccadonagh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to say. I also have this issue and am battling it right now. All I can say is that I try to take it one day at a time and focus on the short term. Also try to keep busy and avoid being alone. good luck
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm working through this also. I've managed to get to my weight target (yeah!), but the stress-related bingeing is still there when things get really bad (boo! hiss!). I'm under a lot of work stress, which means I'm not being productive, which makes the pressure worse, and then a tinge of hunger and I'm driven to binge.

I found a great article today at greatist.com/grow/how-to-bounce-back-after-food-binge, which I found very helpful.

Friend me, and let's confront this beast together! (Although I like the analogy in the article above that it's like a child which needs love and support)
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bello: I have a gym on campus I just am so busy with class I feel like I make it once every two weeks. Imma try for once a week then twice a week. Ooo I have heard of the banana thing and it looks tasty I should try it tonight!

Dopey: ill have to read that when I get on my computer (on my cell atm) sounds good!

Macca: thank you :)

Update: I am feeling better today and decided to forgive myself. Trying to start off my day right today and stay nice n healthy! Cucumber water is awesome btw.
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also work on finding something that helps you de-stress that doesn't involve food! Meditation, stretching, yoga, walks, etc... and if you have to eat, make it something that isn't fast food. Veggies and healthy dips...
  • CiaraFit21
    CiaraFit21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue when something comes up that wasnt planned, something stressful and my diet plan goes out the window (as if binging even helps) anyway lets talk more. I struggle too and am looking to having friends with the same issues to help.