breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
I'm eating 1200 cals. Im worried I might lose my milk supply but I know eating 1800 cals will cause me to gain. Anyone have any recommendTions?

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Are you exclusively feeding? How old is your baby?
  • keturaheaton
    keturaheaton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to find what works for you. When my baby was little I ate 1800 cal a day and lost great on that for a while. After I stopped losing I decreased my calories by about 100 at a time. Now that he just turned a year old, he doesn't nurse as often so I am down to 1500 a day but I think I'm going to decrease again bc I'm not losing. Just make sure to lose weight slow.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Figure out your maintenance, without accounting at all for breastfeeding. Eat that amount and breastfeeding (assumign you are exclusively breastfeeding) will make sure you lose the weight at a good rate. Do not starve yourself, there is no need to. Your main concern shoudl not be your milk supply, but how your own health will be affected, which will happen before you start noticing a drop in supply.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    exclusive breastfeeding add 500 calories

and walk lots

you'll be fine
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just to present a slightly different view.... I used to add 500 calories for exclusive breast feeding and it made me gain so I came to the conclusion that your body can actually get quite efficient at producing breast milk. So I add 200 and that works for me but I guess everyone is different :)
  • LKArgh
    Options
    sallykift wrote: »
    Just to present a slightly different view.... I used to add 500 calories for exclusive breast feeding and it made me gain so I came to the conclusion that your body can actually get quite efficient at producing breast milk. So I add 200 and that works for me but I guess everyone is different :)

Breastfeeding is supposed to burn 300-500 calories, and from what I recall it starts on the lower number with a young baby, and increases to about 500 as the baby gets older (close to a year or older, if I remember correctly) as long as you keep nursing on demand.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Breastfeeding is supposed to burn 300-500 calories, and from what I recall it starts on the lower number with a young baby, and increases to about 500 as the baby gets older (close to a year or older, if I remember correctly) as long as you keep nursing on demand.

That doesn't make sense to me, sorry. I would assume calories burned is based on amount of milk produced, and the amount a baby drinks increases dramatically in the first month, stays pretty static until about six months, and then starts to decline as they eat more and more solids. The first six months would be the highest calorie burners, with it declining after that.

• LKArgh
    edited April 2015
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »

That doesn't make sense to me, sorry. I would assume calories burned is based on amount of milk produced, and the amount a baby drinks increases dramatically in the first month, stays pretty static until about six months, and then starts to decline as they eat more and more solids. The first six months would be the highest calorie burners, with it declining after that.

Yeah, I remember it sounded weird when I was doing my research back at the time when I had my first baby, but truth is that the amount of milk increases the first few months and then stays pretty much the same (as long as you nurse on demand, solids do not really change your milk supply or how much milk a baby or toddler gets). And consistency of breastmilk changes a lot as the baby grows older, so I am guessing your body burns more calories to adjust to the growing baby's needs? I am pretty sure that without any change in diet, I was at my all time lowest weight when nursing toddlers, and I have heard similar experiences from friends, which why I think the calories increase a lot around a year or so. Again, as long as you keep nursing on demand (not exclusively, but not refusing nursing sessions).
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »

Yeah, I remember it sounded weird when I was doing my research back at the time when I had my first baby, but truth is that the amount of milk increases the first few months and then stays pretty much the same (as long as you nurse on demand, solids do not really change your milk supply or how much milk a baby or toddler gets). And consistency of breastmilk changes a lot as the baby grows older, so I am guessing your body burns more calories to adjust to the growing baby's needs? I am pretty sure that without any change in diet, I was at my all time lowest weight when nursing toddlers, and I have heard similar experiences from friends, which why I think the calories increase a lot around a year or so. Again, as long as you keep nursing on demand (not exclusively, but not refusing nursing sessions).

Hmm, well I hope you're right. My 9 month old is still feeding about 7-8 times per 24 hours, and showing no sign of slowing down. Maybe something good will come from all the broken sleep after all :smiley:
  • cmje94066
    cmje94066 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am exclusively breastfeeding. Thanks all for the feedback!!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    You might not be losing on 1800 because your body is hanging on to the weight since you aren't eating that much. I would try adding a couple hundred calories for a few weeks rather than taking away calories.
  • haibu
    haibu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    With both babies, my body just hung on to the last ten pounds until I stopped nursing. I don't know, it was like some weird reserve system (or maybe my boobs just weighed that much, hah!). Then, once I stopped nursing, it gradually fell off.

I'm not advocating ceasing nursing, I'm just offering an explanation if you're dealing with some last few stubborn pounds.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    cmje94066 wrote: »
    I am exclusively breastfeeding. Thanks all for the feedback!!

I had a hell of a time losing weight when I was home on maternity leave and exclusively breast feeding my son. I tried to add the 500 calories and eat 1700 and I wouldn't lose. I tried to cut them down and my milk supply suffered (which I then struggled to bring back up again after the fact). In retrospect, these were my problems:

1.) I was far too sedentary. I was freaking exhausted. I went on the very occasional walk but I didn't move enough. If you think this might be you, buy a fitbit and link it to your Mpf and enable negative calories. It's eye opening.

2.) I wasn't accurately logging. I wasn't weighing my food and I didn't log certain snacks (like fruit or teas). I most likely was eating too much to lose weight.

3.) I expected the weight to just fall off like all of the other nursing moms. Some of us just have it rough. I think if I had been a little more patient and a little more focused (see 1 and 2) and didn't expect miracles with weight loss it would have happened.

4.) Drink massive amounts of water. Seriously, like a gallon a day.

I hope this helps you even slightly. Don't cut your calories lower than 1700-1800 minimum. Try sticking with that, logging accurately, and going on lots of walks or working out and see how that goes. Give it 4-5 weeks to see how it works. Don't cut your calories too much and hurt your milk supply and add a cranky, hungry baby to the mix!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    It can be really hard when breastfeeding - I've found I have the nursing hunger, just want to constantly snack, but that last bit of weight is not moving.

I would, like the previous poster, suggest not going too low. I thought I could aim for 1200 with 300 extra for breastfeeding, and was averaging 1400-1600 a day. Well, within 10
    Days I'd dropped 1.5kg, was feeling cranky, weak, and woozy, and my 10 month old was whacking my chest every feed to get the milk to move faster. I'm now aiming for 1700 a day and feel like this is a better goal. Maybe start by dropping from 1800 to 1700 for a few weeks, see how you go and tweak from there.
  • kaylamariia
    kaylamariia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm only eating 1200 and initially I did experience a huge blow in milk production, but I was also only 5 weeks or so postpartum so my milk was still regulating. I started taking fenugreek and problem solved for me. I'm more concerned about whether our bodies' "starvation modes" kick in if you only eat 1200 per day.
  • chrissyn01
    chrissyn01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started counting calories and walking/light jogging (4 to 5 times/per week for 30 minutes). My target calorie goal is 1800. I lost 6 pounds last week in my first week using this app and exercising. I have noticed that my 7 month old is nursing longer and sleeping terribly. she used to be a one sided nurser but she has started nursing from both sides in one feeding. Have I screwed up my supply and put my body in starvation mode? If so, can I fix it?? Thanks!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Try a month at 1700 and see what happens. My body was the type of body that would not loose weight until I stopped breastfeeding.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi and congrats on your new little one. Ive exclusivly breastfed both my daughters. In fact, I'm still nursing my youngest and all my weight loss (40lbs) has been while breastfeeding.

I highly recommend kellymom.com for all kinds of research based breastfeeding information. Here their article on dieting while breastfeeding.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm only eating 1200 and initially I did experience a huge blow in milk production, but I was also only 5 weeks or so postpartum so my milk was still regulating. I started taking fenugreek and problem solved for me. I'm more concerned about whether our bodies' "starvation modes" kick in if you only eat 1200 per day.

Starvation mode as commonly used in the weight loss world is a myth. Your body will not store more fat or hold on to fat because you eat too little. You can get malnourished though, especially if your body's resources are going to making milk as well as keeping you alive. Unless you're really short or really sedentary you could likely eat more and still lose weight.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to lose anything past the first couple of months until I stopped breastfeeding and my hormones regulated. Then I lost 30lbs in just a few weeks without doing anything differently. Sometimes, it just is what it is.