Ladies...lets talk period calorie intake

Options

Replies

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Nah, the only thing really different for me is that I tend to want more carbs than usual. I've finally just decided that my macros won't be perfect that week and eat more carbs. Calories are still in line though.
  • RougeSara
    RougeSara Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I crave more fattier foods but I otherwise stay in my goal. If I want to eat more that day I exercise more.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always want to eat more about a week before my period. I also get very specific cravings (I know whether I want sweet or salty). I don't really resist the cravings, I just eat the cravings in moderation but that's also how I "diet" in general. I don't really have off limit foods, I just eat the foods I want but in smaller quantities.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    A bit harder, I crave worse foods, but when I keep the junk out of the house, I make it through. If I make the mistake of buying candy, etc, a week beforehand (without realizing it usually) I have to keep my self-control a little tighter until the wave passes.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, the week before. I generally end up eating probably 100 - 150 calories over my goal at least one or two days. I try to not sweat it, as long as I didn't go crazy, and make good choices in what I eat. Giving in to burgers and milkshakes would only make it worse.
  • ericaelainefields
    ericaelainefields Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've spent years tracking my blood sugar and know that my numbers get low during my period. I really hit high gear with my workouts two months ago and haven't had a period until this weekend. However when it finally came i ate the whole kitchen for two days!! I was so dizzy before i ate and felt ravenous. Didn't affect my measurements or weight though. It's one of those circumstances where I feel we need to ask if our bodies are asking for food for a reason. I needed it :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get very hungry immediately before ovulation and immediately before my period, but if I overeat, I gain weight, and that's that. So it's my choice: binge and gain, or don't binge and don't gain. I've heard all sorts of theories about how we "need" more calories at PMS time as our bodies are working harder and yadda yadda. Not for me. ;) I eat too much...I gain. Whether it's Day 2, Day 15, or Day 28. Doesn't matter. My body very obviously doesn't "need" more calories just before my period, and that's that.

I do eat more "bulk" around that time. I'll eat more veggies and the like just for the bulk. At that time I want to EAT. OTOH, I'll also sometimes want the sweetest, saltiest or whatever food I can find and typically it will take up a lot of calories, but I find room for it. Yes, I will cut back on "healthy" foods in order to have my crappy food. But it keeps me on track, it makes me feel satisfied and I don't overeat that way.

Now with that said, if I don't eat over my daily allotment, I don't gain before my period; not even "water weight". I know I must be retaining water due to how my hands and fingers look, but rather than gaining, I just stay the same/don't lose. Then after my period starts I'll go down a couple of pounds (this is assuming my allotment is based on a deficit in order to lose, which is my current aim).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My goal today is 1500 calories. I still ate chocolate, cookies, and am getting a few squares of cookie butter cheese cake from trader joes. Pre-log that shiznit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    In a similar thread the other day someone linked an article and said that cravings isn't a universal sypmtom. I didn't get a chance to go back and read the article though. I would be interested to see if that is true.
  • LAWoman72
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In a similar thread the other day someone linked an article and said that cravings isn't a universal sypmtom. I didn't get a chance to go back and read the article though. I would be interested to see if that is true.

It's obviously not universal, but just as obviously it is a symptom for a number of women. Exactly what that number is, who knows...perhaps the article you're referencing had an answer to that. But it's not like it's unheard of for any given woman to feel very hungry before her period.

Hormonal shifts of various kinds can produce this feeling in some people.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

It's obviously not universal, but just as obviously it is a symptom for a number of women. Exactly what that number is, who knows...perhaps the article you're referencing had an answer to that. But it's not like it's unheard of for any given woman to feel very hungry before her period.

I meant universal as in it is far more commonly reported symptom in some places than in others. I understand not everyone has the same syptoms nor did I say it is unheard of.
  • LAWoman72
    edited April 2015
    Options

I meant universal as in it is far more commonly reported symptom in some places than in others. I understand not everyone has the same syptoms nor did I say it is unheard of.

And I didn't say that you said it wasn't unheard of. I simply said it's not unheard of. :)

I'd like to see that article, if you can dig it out.

Any article about PMS symptoms I've ever read has at least touched on hunger/cravings, so I have to think it's at least significant enough for a mention.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

And I didn't say that you said it wasn't unheard of. I simply said it's not unheard of. :)

I'd like to see that article, if you can dig it out.

I've tried googling. I wish I had read it at the time.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, yes. Usually I'm fine, but I've definitely had months that were harder to deal with.

For me, it's usually tied into sleep. When I'm PMSing, sometimes I have trouble sleeping - when I do, I want to eat like it's my JOB. It's a hormone thing.

I also don't get cravings for food - ever.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I crave candy! So recently, I had snicker bars and twizzlers before my normal dinnertime but I ended up eating way more than intended so I skipped dinner that night....and I was perfectly fine with that :)
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes and no? I find myself completely ravenous the week prior, but the week of I generally do okay.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Yes! but whatcha going to do, right? Usually I just eat a lot of chocolate, wine, and order Mexican food. Never bothers me because I know I will go back to my regular schedule after.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much of an issue sticking to my calories. My fitness goals are more important than a square of chocolate or some chips. I usually make myself a tea and make a "dessert." Usually I'll melt down a quest bar a little and put some cookie butter on it. I make it work with my calories for the day.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i don't get cravings for junk, but my stomach genuinely feels like it empties a lot faster they day before and the first day of my period.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i dont ....