Iron!

Options
albali
albali Posts: 225 Member
Hi
I have just altered my settings for my food diary so I can see how much iron I am taking in, and I am really shocked. Out of 100 that is my goal every day, I am usually only taking in 10 - 20! That's bad, isn't it? I don't even want to begin to look up iron deficiency! I notice two weetabix give me 25 which is a quarter of what I need. Any tips for other iron rich foods would be lovely.

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    According to WebMD the top 10 iron rich foods are as follows:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
  • lilscotslass
    Options
    Green veggies usually have a fair bit of iron in them. Think broccoli or spinach. Wilted baby spinach with pasta is really nice :)
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat products, black beans, lentils, spinach. Also, note that calcium inhibits iron absorption (and vice versa) so try to eat your calcium rich and your iron rich foods at different times of the day, if possible. Vitamin C aids iron absorption, so have these foods with your iron sources, if you can. For example, I frequently have spinach salad and will have cut up tomato on it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Here you go! Personally I am a HUGE fan of spinach and lentils :smile:

◦The recommended iron intake for men and post-menopausal women is 8 mg. The recommended intake for pre-menopausal women is 18 mg and the recommendation increases to 27 mg for pregnant women.
    ◦Children ages 7 to 12 months need 11 mg, 1 to 3 years 7mg, 4 to 8 years 10mg, 9-13 years 8mg, 14 to 18 years 11 mg (for boys), 15 mg (for girls).

Iron Absorption Enhancers: eat these foods to increase the iron absorption of the foods below.

◦Meat/fish/poultry
    ◦Fruits: Orange, Orange Juice, cantaloupe, strawberries, grapefruit etc
    ◦Vegetables: Broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomato, tomato juice, potato, green & red peppers
    ◦White wine

Iron Absorption Inhibitors: these foods decrease the iron absorption.

◦Red Wine, Coffee & Tea
    ◦Vegetables: Spinach, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and sweet potato
    ◦Whole grains and bran
    ◦Soy products

List of Grains Rich in Iron:

◦Brown rice, 1 cup cooked 0.8 mg
    ◦Whole wheat bread, 1 slice 0.9 mg
    ◦Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons 1.1 mg
    ◦English Muffin, 1 plain 1.4 mg
    ◦Oatmeal, 1 cup cooked 1.6 mg
    ◦Total cereal, 1 ounce 18.0 mg
    ◦Cream of Wheat, 1 cup 10.0 mg
    ◦Pita, whole wheat, 1 slice/piece, 6 ½ inch 1.9 mg
    ◦Spaghetti, enriched, 1 cup, cooked 2.0 mg
    ◦Raisin bran cereal, 1 cup 6.3 mg

List of Iron Rich Legumes, Seeds, and Soy:

◦Sunflower seeds, 1 ounce 1.4 mg
    ◦Soy milk, 1 cup 1.4 mg
    ◦Kidney beans, ½ cup canned 1.6 mg
    ◦Chickpeas, ½ cup, canned 1.6 mg
    ◦Tofu, firm, ½ cup 1.8 mg**
    ◦Soy burger, 1 average 1.8 to 3.9 mg**
    ◦Raw Spinach, 1 cup 1 mg**
    ◦Cooked Spinach, 1 cup 3.5 mg **
    ◦Pumpkin Seeds, ½ cup roasted 8.5 mg
    ◦Pistachios, ½ cup 4.4 mg

List of Vegetables Rich in Iron:

◦Broccoli, ½ cup, boiled 0.7 mg
    ◦Green beans, ½ cup, boiled 0.8 mg
    ◦Lima beans, baby, frozen, ½ cup, boiled 1.8 mg
    ◦Beets, 1 cup 1.8 mg
    ◦Peas, ½ cup frozen, boiled 1.3 mg
    ◦Potato, fresh baked, cooked w/skin on 4.0 mg
    ◦Vegetables, green leafy, ½ cup 2.0 mg
    ◦Watermelon, 6 inch x ½ inch slice 3.0 mg

Other Foods Rich in Iron:

◦Blackstrap Molasses, one tablespoon 3.0 mg
    ◦Dates or Prunes, ½ cup 2.4 mg
    ◦Beef, Pork, Lamb, three ounces 2.3 to 3.0 mg
    ◦Liver (beef, chicken), three ounces 8.0 to 25.0 mg*
    ◦Clams, Oysters ¾ cup 3.0 mg
    ◦Dark meat Turkey ¾ cup 2.6 mg
    ◦Pizza, cheese or pepperoni, ½ of 10 inch pie 4.5 to 5.5 mg
    *Pregnant women should not eat liver because of the high Vitamin A content which can harm the baby.

**East with iron absorption enhancers

http://www.oodora.com/health-and-food/nutrition/foods-high-in-iron.html
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Shoot. someone beat me to the webmd thing.
  • KT0104
    KT0104 Posts: 33
    Options
    You could always pick up some iron tablets from your local pharmacist...? Just don't take too much!
  • jadebugs
    jadebugs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    Two words: prenatal vitamin. 156% of your daily iron requirements. And no, they won't increase your likeliness of becoming pregnant nor will they make men grow breasts. As stupid as it sounds, I've heard people say both of those things. :huh:
    Edit: A large bottle costs around $10.00 and you can find them at any pharmacy, grocery store, Wal-Mart etc....
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    I am struggling with this. I am from the UK hence I eat UK foods. However the nutritional info on things like yogurts and cold meats is not as informative as it seems US info is. We don't get any info on calcium or iron or vitamin a and c. I have put two weight watchers yogurts into my diary for my lunch and one says it has 20 calcium and the other 0 calcium. How can that be? I have also had a range of cold meats and pickles for lunch and they are only showing cals and a few other things. How can I truely track these two things when I don't have all the info at my disposal?
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Instead of worrying about the food, I take a multi vitamin with 18 mg of iron and, in addition to this 65 mg daily for 2 weeks out of the month an additional supplement which comes with vitamin C for better absorption.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm usually very low on Iron, too. I eat most of those foods that are on the top list for iron (turkey.. spinach, it's all part of my daily diet) but my iron intake is low.

Per my MD, I've started to take multivitamins (a womens multivitamin, and a calcium vitamin). Not just for Iron, but for calcium as well.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have been eating Multigrain cheerios, it says it;s 100% of the DV for iron. But, I have been having it with my coffee in the am sometimes, and it seems I'm not supposed to have it with caffeine? I need to up my iron as well. I think I might just look into getting a supplement like others mentioned.