elliptical trainer, quick question!

Options
On my elliptical it said I had burned 327 cals in 15 mins, I had the tension up pretty high I have no idea if that makes a difference, but MFP says only 238 or something like that, which do I go by?!

Replies

• Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    I have a HRM and I go by that. If you don't have one, I'd say err on the low side and take the lower value.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I burn more calories than MFP says too when I use a higher level. I have been doing levels 12 and 15 on mine, and I burn way more calories than MFP says. I change mine to meet in the middle.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Wow! I only burn 120 cals on the elliptical at high intensity for 15 minutes. :ohwell:
  • sjwarren66
    sjwarren66 Posts: 16
    Options
    I would go by the elliptical trainer - I'm guessing you put in your age and weight, and it measures your heart rate, I believe that MFP is just an average....
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and I go by that. If you don't have one, I'd say err on the low side and take the lower value.

ditto
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    i burn roughly 270 in 27 minutes on lower intensity but going full force, so i guess its really all different for everyone you should get a HRM
  • MarkNH
    MarkNH Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If it is a good/reliable machine - I will always go with what the machine says.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb I go by - if I'm busting my butt - 10 cal / min
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    On my elliptical it said I had burned 327 cals in 15 mins, I had the tension up pretty high I have no idea if that makes a difference, but MFP says only 238 or something like that, which do I go by?!

327 in 15 minutes would be almost impossible that is 22 calories/minute. Most people burn between 9-15 calories per minute doing cardio exercise, so I would go with the lower of the numbers if you don't have a HRM.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I think that is high. Before I got my HRM, the elliptical machine would average about 100 calories for every 10 minutes, give or take a few depending on incline and resistance. Since I got my HRM, I see its slightly less than 100 calories per 10 minutes. I average about 350-385 calories after a 35-40 minute workout.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM, have my elliptical set at a 50% incline & burn ~400 calories per 30 minutes (intense workout). But of course, everyone is different.
  • bigman73
    bigman73 Posts: 3
    Options
    Using my bodybugg when I'm working the hardest I would burn 12 cal per minute, but for the most part I burn 10 cal per month. The HRM will give you the best result as everyone works out at a different intensity.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM, and I am burning about 540 calories or so in the hour I'm on the elliptical. But I'm doing intervals where it changes the levels on me, so I'm huffing and puffing away and my heart rate is through the roof. If I were to do an hour at a lower intensity, I'm sure I would burn less.

And my elliptical is off calories wise, it always says at least 90-100 more calories than I really did.