Beginner interested in starting strength training at home

Options
I recently finished Jillian's Michael's 30 Day Shred (for the second time in a row), and have picked up a few of her other DVDs including Killer Buns (ha) and 6 Weeks to Six Pack. I have been doing a 30 Shred level every morning, and in the evening switching between the other two programs (with taking a rest day every 7-10 days.) I've seen results over the past 2 months, but I know I can't do these forever as my body will just adapt to the same routine and I'll plateau. So, I want to progress to harder exercises, and recently have been thinking about getting into strength training. Initially I started working out to lose a few pesky pounds (I had lost over 20lbs on Weight Watchers previously, but have some 'trouble zones' I wanted gone), but as I've gone through the program I realize what I am more interested in is strength training.

I do not want to do the gym (hate it) and I really love the idea of working out in the comfort of my home. I only have a few sets of dumbbells (3lb, 5lb, and 8lb). I also enjoy the DVD workouts as I can watch & follow along. Now, I realize I'm still very much a beginner, and not giving myself access to a gym limits me, but are there any recommendations out there for where to start? I've heard a few things about bodyweight training...? I really just want to get the 'toned' look by building a great base body - the number on the scale doesn't really matter. I'd just like to take care of my body and be fit!

Also, if it helps: I'm 5.6", 125lbs, and maintain a good/healthy nutrition plan.

Thanks!

Replies

• LeeAnn254
    LeeAnn254 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump I'm interested too
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Check out GMB Fitness
  • James_Tong
    James_Tong Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Can check out the link below. They have exercises ranging from Gym to Home workouts! Have fun! :):)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan.html
  • marcusminshall1
    marcusminshall1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You and Me both. It sounds like you got it down. But I know what you mean bc when I accomplish a goal, the first thing I need is to find an even more difficult challenge, and take it to another level. Almost like I get bored after reaching a certain level. I'm not sure if that's a problem or a blessing? But it sure as hell keeps me confident.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do weight training at home and follow a few of the different Beachbody workouts like P90X and BodyBeast. There are good workouts available on Bodybuilding.com but no videos for you to follow. Have a look on YouTube too to see if there are any free workouts available. I think it would be good to follow video instruction as you first get into it.

You won't regret it - I love weight training!!
  • Juspex
    Juspex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try bodyweight/calisthenics training. No equipment needed and personally i think it can be more efficient than with all the equipments. I've done it for two weeks now and already see my body getting alot stronger. Used to go to gym 4-5 times a week but after going there for 8 years it started to be annoying always packing up, going there, trying to find a free locker and then waiting for ages to get to the different free weights. Nowadays gym is my second favourite thing and calisthenics/bodyweight training is absolutely number one. If you want to try this you can easily start by buying mark lauren's book " you are your own gym ".
  • bfrance
    bfrance Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 minutes to fitness split
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    For dumbbells, highly recommend ChaLEAN Extreme!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I've done the same programs which are a great starting point. I started lifting this year and LOVE IT! Check out Jamie Eason's Livefit. Just completed the 12 weeks and can definitely see changes!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    look up convict conditioning.
  • orakpo98
    orakpo98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The two most important exercises you can do (in my opinion) are deadlifts and squats. I would strongly recommend you hire a personal trainer to make sure you can do them correctly. Look up Stronglifts 5x5. this calls for using an Olympic barbell, but I'm certain you can start off using dumb bells. For a complete dumb bell set that doesn't take up space, look up Power Blocks. Then just get a flat bench and you're good to go.

If you're more into videos I can't help you there, but the suggestions that have already been posted all look very good.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    bfrance wrote: »
    Kelly Coffey Meyer 30 minutes to fitness split

If you like DVDs, I think hers are the best for strength training. She's a really easy instructor to listen to and follow as well so you'll pick up some good form with your dumbbells.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Fitness Blender is also a great option. Its on youtube and its FREE!!! They have lots to choose from and also do weight training.