What do you do when you start to feel lethargic?

Options
Sometimes when I don’t eat “hardy” food, around dinner time, I will start to feel lethargic, sweaty, weak, dizzy…
It usually comes on quickly and within about 20 minutes, I start to see black spots like I’m going to faint. I’ve passed out a few times in the past because I haven’t been able to eat when it happened. I’m not a diabetic, I’ve been tested plenty of times for it. Some days (not too often), this happens.

A few weeks ago it happened and I binge ate because it is really scary, so I ate sugary things until I felt better.

My questions is…. does anybody know of a low calorie snack that will help when this happens? The doctor told me to just drink orange juice, but who can carry orange juice around all the time?

Replies

• shells74
    shells74 Posts: 6
    Options
    Try an apple or orange. Both are under 75 calories.
  • chelm
    chelm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. Peanut butter is the ONLY thing that works for me.
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ive always been told orange juice too...Maybe some hard candy? I do know that it would happen to me too..in the past.And,I've just had to eat a little more substance.I would get soo weak,dizzy,felt like I had to puke.Not a great feeling! good luck!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm a total weak sauce when I don't get food when I need it. I keep Wheat Thins and cruchy granolas handy when I feel this way. I've tried fruit, but it doesn't fill me up right and I tend to get queasy instead. However, dried fruit and nuts seem to work well, too. Beef jerky, (the dried kind and not the sausage kind) is another.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Alot of protein bars are low in cals and will give you a quick boost
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Water helps me, and sitting down. Deep breaths and slow movement. I used to pass out nearly every day, the slow movement and sitting down is all that helps me really. I've changed diet, increased activity, all sorts of healthy stuff. The black spots and fainting is still here. My guess is a blood pressure trouble, only recently has my blood pressure reached the 'normal' range, my entire life has been under that.

Carry a fiber bar in your purse, or granola. They don't go bad and don't melt so you can take them around all day. Many are between 100-200 calories, taste awesome, and can give you a health boost in case that is what helps you.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I know that Jolly Ranchers are high in sugar, and often recommended to diabetics as an emergency sugar source (just until they can take ACTUAL insulin)....That might be an idea?
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I go with peanut butter also. Seems to do the trick pretty quickly. It is scary, but controllable. You gotta pay attention and catch it before it catches you. Find what works for you and regardless of the calories, etc, give your body something that it needs right away. Slamming to the ground is not a good option and would be worse than going over your calories! Take care!
  • yepratt
    yepratt Posts: 26
    Options
    Wow! Safest and healthiest thing to do is eat at least 5-6 small meals throughout the day not to high in carbs so that your blood sugar dont go up and down it stays pretty leveled, and you will lose weight because your metabolism is being fed...
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Luna bars!
    They're sweet, but not crazy sugary, and they have plenty of vitamins and minerals you could be missing out on.

Usually if I'm feeling the kind of lethargy you're describing, then a cup of tea, and a snack with some protein (a bar, a turkey leg) and sometimes a lie-down till it passes.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i agree with peanut butter! after 2 weeks though, i'm not having too many of these days. i also try to eat protein at every meal because that helps as well!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I steal a fruit to go bar from my son if and when it happens.... I find if I keep up with my water intake it doesn't though! I have them on me at all times because when he gets annoying, it keeps him quiet for a good 15 minutes!
  • princessrandi
    Options
    This happens to me, I have low blood sugar. I have to be very consious of my activity and food to keep this from happening. That being said, I carry glucose tablets with me everywhere. They are a quick fix if you start to get dizzy, until you can get something real to eat. Not a good long term solution, but its helpful. Also, I've found things with a good amount of protien help, I drink kellogg protein shakes or their snack bars.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Try an apple or orange. Both are under 75 calories.

Fruit or fruit juice are not good options. Just keeps the blood sugar and insulin rollercoaster going.

Find something with protein and fat to prevent the insulin response, that is why you feel like that from insulin being rushed and your blood sugar bottoming out.

Nuts, string cheese, peanut butter or other nut butter..........