suggestions please!

Options
Hi everyone. I started out walking a mile a day. I am a very plus size woman and for me a mile was/is hard. After a couple weeks it started getting easier. Well, then I decided to do a squat challenge. The day after my thighs felt/and still do feel like they are on fire. It is hard to sit/stand and even walk. I continue to push through the pain and walk daily. But, I was curious if there is any suggestions that would help my muscle pain in my thighs!!??

Replies

• harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Mainly the things that can help your muscles actually recover are rest, time, and being hydrated.
    Things that can help you feel better today are a warm bath/shower, gentle movements like walking, and some ibuprofen.

Things that can help keep this from happening again are practice/building muscle, drinking plenty of water and eating/drinking something high protein right after you complete your workout.

I'm in a similar boat to you (lots to lose and starting with walking to work up to exercise). Wishing you the best!
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A high protein shake normally helps you recover faster if you drink it within about half an hour of working out. The pain will get much less as you exercise more frequently. However, if you are very sore, I would suggest a rest day.
  • carebear62984
    carebear62984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I just bought protein powder the other day so I will try that. Thanks a lot and good luck to you.
  • 9mike
    9mike Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    you should also try drinking a lot of water n eat fruit &veggy
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try stretching. A year ago I was in your spot--extremely sore after doing a bodyweight workout. I started stretching before doing the workout and afterwards and it helped immensely. I would warm up by walking for 5 minutes, then do all of these stretches, do the workout, and then do the stretches again. I still do those stretches now actually but I definitely don't get sore like that anymore. It does get better. You are doing great so far. Keep it up!
  • Soaringrose
    Soaringrose Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ive tried the squat challenge buts it's really challenging for people in fit condition. Why not make ur own squat challenge like even as little as 5 a day then 10 a day? Just a suggestion ;) that's how I personally did it.....congrats on ur walking! We have to take baby steps til our body adjusts.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    There's not much that can be done for soreness, aside from waiting it out. Epsom salt baths, hydration, and eating some protein after working out are all good things. Stretches are also awesome and have been a life saver for me after running. One additional thing I can suggest is using a foam roller: mine really helps with muscle tightness and all that. Mind you, using it can be a bit of a workout in itself :smile: . You can find details on using one on YouTube. I wish you the very best of luck, and kudos for your dedication! Sounds like you're right on track!
  • carebear62984
    carebear62984 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I really appreciate the support..
  • NJbabe
    NJbabe Posts: 113 Member
    Options
  • aztec707
    aztec707 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ya its the protein that will help ur muscles recover
  • jscot002
    jscot002 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Dump the squats until you are fitter. Pain is not good and will not make your body happy. Keep walking the 2 miles and maybe add some jogging. Beginners yoga will have a list of easy excerises you can do which include stretching. When excerise becomes part of your lifestyle then you can go all high achiever and do the squat challenges etc. Until then don't damage the fitness level you have achieved.