Just looking to put weight on so can tone up bum and legs, NEED HELP, I'm on 2180 cals per day I usualy go over by 100, tia x

Replies

• karrysalexi
    karrysalexi Posts: 62 Member
    What's your height and weight? Activity level?
  • karrysalexi
    Age?
  • karrysalexi
    You mean make your legs and bum bigger I assume because toning does not exist.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    if you can, you can help us out being even more specific than @Karrysalexi has mentioned...

Height, weight, job, exercise regimen, body fat%, etc. This would allow for a more accurate estimate.

Otherwise, I would recommend trying to find your TDEE or maintenance level on your own. Once you know how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight, you can increase your calories by around 500 calories (a 500 calorie/day surplus suggests you would gain around 1lb per week). Toning, however, is a tough term to understand. What exactly do you mean by tone up your bum and legs? Get bigger? More defined? Leaner? etc. Start with clearly defining your goals.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    What do your workouts look like? Are you lifting weights to help reshape your body or just doing cardio??
  • armanimaz
    armanimaz Posts: 10 Member
    Ok here goes, I'm 29, 5 foot 4, 7 stone, my job requires being seated or just standing not walking, I'm not very active during out of work hours, I'm currently eating 2180 cals or more everyday, I don't exercise yet until I'm clear of what my regime needs to be, I've always been slim size 8 even after having my 2 boys, after 8lb 2oz baby I was back in size 8 the day after labour, I was so sick of being this skinny that I went to docs and they checked my thyroid, but it was normal, I've logged on here 50 days in a row and have not seen any weight gain, what I'm longing for is to put weight on to fill me out as my legs look awful and skinny and my butt is non existent and would love to look more "rounded" and would love not to see bones sticking out when I look in the mirror, sorry for droning on, thanks for reading x
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Its good you provided more info - thanks. Most people here (myself included) are going to recommend the same thing. Start increasing your calories until you being gaining weight and start a lifting routine. The calories of course are essential to gain weight. The lifting routine is essential to making at least some of that weight gain muscle instead of all fat. Many people like the Strong Curves, Strong Lifts, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting routines.
  • armanimaz
    Thank you terizius, I have kettle bells to lift with, they are 12kg and 16kg, I'm hoping to incorporate them in to lunges and squats and hoping this will help too.
  • terizius
    Great, from the sounds of it, those are both great exercises for you. Do you plan to get into a gym, or workout from home?
  • armanimaz
    No time for gym, all exercises will be done from home I have protein powder too so hopefully that will give the exercise a boost
  • terizius
    ok, its a bit more difficult to get the weight you would need to lift heavy, but you certainly aren't the first to bulk at home. Track calories, take measurements and lift as heavy as you can safely at home.
  • armanimaz
    Thanks for advice, taken on board and can't wait to get started and see results.
  • terizius
    Keep us posted!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    As mentioned, a progressive resistance program is very helpful during a bulk, so maybe look into the programs that use body weight exercises and are designed to incorporate more difficult variations as you advance, which is what makes the programs progressive. You are your own gym (there's also an app) and convict conditioning are two that I've seen recommended a lot.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    KBs are good but they take a lot of calories if you have a solid routine so you'll have to up your calories accordingly. If you really want to put on some muscle you should invest in heavier poods as well.
  • armanimaz
    Thanks guys all advice is taken in and greatly appreciated, also any advice on a twice a week program as I'm doing a 5k run/obstacle course in July and need to train but not sure what will help me best, do I just work on legs or the whole body?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    armanimaz wrote: »
    Thanks guys all advice is taken in and greatly appreciated, also any advice on a twice a week program as I'm doing a 5k run/obstacle course in July and need to train but not sure what will help me best, do I just work on legs or the whole body?

Whole body strength is required for an obstacle course but you might want to train body weight exercises as well that will be close to the movements required to run the course. Those courses require a lot of skills and not just raw strength.
  • armanimaz
    Brilliant, thanks Wheelhouse15