Hey and help? :)

Options
hello! My names Sarah and I started in here about 7 days ago, I'm looking to meet new people and motivate others. I want to get healthier and fitter since summer is approaching!
I lack protein in my diet, can anybody help on what would be good to have? Thanks! And feel free to add me I love new friends! :)<3

Replies

• lvmcdonald
    lvmcdonald Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love to make lettuce wraps. Take the a couple of big romaine leafs and put 4 deli slices of your favorite meat with some spicy mustard and a slice of cheese and fold in half. Super yummy and low carb. Also, Starkist makes single serving tuna packets for about a dollar. I usually add some mustard because some of them can be a little dry. If you're on the go, you can always make a protein shake. Mix it up with some frozen fruit, yogurt, low cal milk or you can just throw it in a cup and mix it with water later. Good luck on your journey. The trick is not to make it a diet, but a lifestyle... and don't forget to log in your food, it really helps to keep you on track.

BTW I'm Laura. I've been on here consistently since January I think. I've lost about 20 lbs. I'm having trouble losing the last 5, but then again... I don't exercise more than 10-15000 steps a day. I use a tracker so at least I know that I'm not just being a couch potato because that's really easy for me be :-)
  • ItsMeSarahh
    ItsMeSarahh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    lvmcdonald wrote: »
    I love to make lettuce wraps. Take the a couple of big romaine leafs and put 4 deli slices of your favorite meat with some spicy mustard and a slice of cheese and fold in half. Super yummy and low carb. Also, Starkist makes single serving tuna packets for about a dollar. I usually add some mustard because some of them can be a little dry. If you're on the go, you can always make a protein shake. Mix it up with some frozen fruit, yogurt, low cal milk or you can just throw it in a cup and mix it with water later. Good luck on your journey. The trick is not to make it a diet, but a lifestyle... and don't forget to log in your food, it really helps to keep you on track.

BTW I'm Laura. I've been on here consistently since January I think. I've lost about 20 lbs. I'm having trouble losing the last 5, but then again... I don't exercise more than 10-15000 steps a day. I use a tracker so at least I know that I'm not just being a couch potato because that's really easy for me be :-)

Hey thanks!! I'm going to try these lettuce wraps, maybe with chicken might be best, really appreciate it :smile: I'm trying to stay away from cheese because I'll eat too much if I start I love cheese. I do enjoy a protein shake when I have to, not too much though!
    Wow that's great and good going! I'm sure they'll budge soon that's an awful lot of walking :smile: but it sounds like you're doing fantastic!! Keep it up :smiley:
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello there. There's many ways to get a moderate amount of protein. A benefit is the fact that protein digests slow and fills you up. It also helps build muscle which burns fat. Almost everything I eat is protein and lift weights (have lost 60+ pounds and 15+ body fat percent). Protein does wonders especially when working out.

Protein snacks- Nuts, yogurt, hummus, nut butter, seeds, seed butter, canned tuna, boiled eggs, milk (especially soy milk)
    Protein meals/sides- chicken, beef, fish, pork, quinoa, brown rice, beans, lentils, tofu
    Protein dessert- strawberries dipped in nut butter, dark chocolate covered nuts, homemade brownies with whey protein powder added, frozen yogurt.
  • Never_Quit32
    Never_Quit32 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BEEN ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW, FEEL FREE TO FRIEND ME.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I tend to get between 115-140 grams of protein per day. You can take a look at my diary. A quest bar usually helps me though.
  • ItsMeSarahh
    Options
    Hello there. There's many ways to get a moderate amount of protein. A benefit is the fact that protein digests slow and fills you up. It also helps build muscle which burns fat. Almost everything I eat is protein and lift weights (have lost 60+ pounds and 15+ body fat percent). Protein does wonders especially when working out.

Protein snacks- Nuts, yogurt, hummus, nut butter, seeds, seed butter, canned tuna, boiled eggs, milk (especially soy milk)
    Protein meals/sides- chicken, beef, fish, pork, quinoa, brown rice, beans, lentils, tofu
    Protein dessert- strawberries dipped in nut butter, dark chocolate covered nuts, homemade brownies with whey protein powder added, frozen yogurt.

I probably should have mentioned I have a nut allergy which makes it harder! :( otherwise I would snack on nuts so I was looking for alternatives? X

• ItsMeSarahh
    Options
    BEEN ON FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW, FEEL FREE TO FRIEND ME.

Good going! And I have
  • ItsMeSarahh
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I tend to get between 115-140 grams of protein per day. You can take a look at my diary. A quest bar usually helps me though.

I didn't know you could look at diaries? How do I do that?
  • azza213
    azza213 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    And chicken to your wraps if you going with that idea its a good protein source
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, it's actually very easy to increase your protein! No worries about nuts--They're a pretty poor source of protein compared to the amount of fat in them. ;)

Deli meats are excellent for quick and on the go--Roast beef and turkey breast are low calorie and high protein... And delicious!

Low-fat or skimmed dairy products (or full fat, if you have the calories) are excellent sources of protein--I personally love skimmed milk but I know some people can't stand the stuff, and have to have the "whole" products. While some low-fat cheeses taste nasty (and don't melt, to boot!) there are a few that are quite nice for a cheese fix, but not nice enough to overeat. ;) Greek yogurt is very high in protein and has a thicker consistency than regular yogurt, so you can add vanilla/fruit/jam and sweetener/sugar/honey and have a pudding-like snack. :)

Fish of all sorts, if you like them, are also extremely high in protein. Tuna, salmon, tilapia, halibut, etc. :)

Obviously beef and chicken are great protein sources--Go for leaner cuts and chicken breast if your calorie goal is too low to handle the fattier stuff. Eggs are great too, and you can mix several egg whites with one or two egg yolks to add more bulk without too many calories to omelets and such.

Those are my usual go-tos... Hope they helped you out!
  • Susieq_1994
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I didn't know you could look at diaries? How do I do that?

Depends on whether someone's diary is open to the public or to friends or not at all. Mine is open to the public--You can click on my username and it will take you to my profile, where you'll see a button that says "View Diary". :)
  • ItsMeSarahh
    Options
    As mentioned, it's actually very easy to increase your protein! No worries about nuts--They're a pretty poor source of protein compared to the amount of fat in them. ;)

Deli meats are excellent for quick and on the go--Roast beef and turkey breast are low calorie and high protein... And delicious!

Low-fat or skimmed dairy products (or full fat, if you have the calories) are excellent sources of protein--I personally love skimmed milk but I know some people can't stand the stuff, and have to have the "whole" products. While some low-fat cheeses taste nasty (and don't melt, to boot!) there are a few that are quite nice for a cheese fix, but not nice enough to overeat. ;) Greek yogurt is very high in protein and has a thicker consistency than regular yogurt, so you can add vanilla/fruit/jam and sweetener/sugar/honey and have a pudding-like snack. :)

Fish of all sorts, if you like them, are also extremely high in protein. Tuna, salmon, tilapia, halibut, etc. :)

Obviously beef and chicken are great protein sources--Go for leaner cuts and chicken breast if your calorie goal is too low to handle the fattier stuff. Eggs are great too, and you can mix several egg whites with one or two egg yolks to add more bulk without too many calories to omelets and such.

I think I'll try the Greek yogurt as a snack! Sounds quite nice :) I'm alright with chicken and it was mentioned to try lettuce wraps so I'm going to go shopping and get some stuff :)
    Do you struggle with fitness?
  • Imback257
    Imback257 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me. :)
  • Susieq_1994
    Options

I think I'll try the Greek yogurt as a snack! Sounds quite nice :) I'm alright with chicken and it was mentioned to try lettuce wraps so I'm going to go shopping and get some stuff :)
    Do you struggle with fitness?

Everyone does, once in a while. Even the most elite around here struggle from time to time. :) It's easier if you don't impose too many unnecessary restrictions on yourself (i.e. no bread, no potatoes, no white foods). As long as you keep into your calories, you can have plenty of treats and not go crazy. ;)
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Mozz sticks, turkey jerky, and a shake help me. Add me if you'd like.