Diastis Recti and Planks and Such like

Options
Hello,

I had bad Diastis Recti (split abdominal muscles) after my second pregnancy, with a 5cm gap between my abdominal muscles.

2 years later and I only have about a 1.5cm gap, but I have noticed when I do planks I have that vertical bulge in my abdomen. I am not expecting a 6 pack anytime ever, but does anyone know if it is safe to do these kind of core exercises with such weakened abs? I don't want tot make the split worse.

Replies

• AKM0282
    AKM0282 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Here is a good link with some exercises to avoid and exercises to help repair it. Do a google search or youtube search and you'll find many more. But to answer your question simply, planks are not supposed to be good for diastis recti, but the good news is you can still repair it even several years after having your baby. =)

http://hiit-blog.dailyhiit.com/hiit-life/pregnancy-motherhood/diastasis-recti-properly-train-strengthen-core-flat-abs/
  • littleblue2
    littleblue2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    JoRumbles wrote: »
    Hello,

I had bad Diastis Recti (split abdominal muscles) after my second pregnancy, with a 5cm gap between my abdominal muscles.

2 years later and I only have about a 1.5cm gap, but I have noticed when I do planks I have that vertical bulge in my abdomen. I am not expecting a 6 pack anytime ever, but does anyone know if it is safe to do these kind of core exercises with such weakened abs? I don't want tot make the split worse.

Your improvement is music to my ears! I developed this condition after my 2nd pregnancy as well. He is 3 years old and I still look like I have his twin in my tummy (was not pregnant with twins). I am back working out and hoping it gets better. I'm not expecting a Beyonce stomach but I am hoping to...well just not look pregant.

I hear side planks are better for the condition so I have started doing those. If you wouldn't mind me asking, how do you close your gap to only 1.5?

Thanks in Advance
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hi,

After I had my baby the midwife gave me a set of exercises from the physiotherapist and a tubi-grip girdle thing. I wore that religiously and did the exercises religiously. If your is still a large gap you should think about seeing a physio? (Physical therapist).

I think you can get the exercises online too. They were very gentle, I use to do them lyeing in bed